• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Radiator failure

• Owner

Yup, Friday the 13th and a full moon has struck me... Got the transmission and clutch done went out for a short test drive and came back check for leaks or issues. Sure enough the driver side tank blew out started leaking just above the drain cock. Redneck fix. I cut the vacuum breaker off the radiator cap. This will allow the pressure to escape the radiator and not build pressure. I made 84 mile test drive and no issues. I've got a replace radiator in Ontario, OR waiting for me. $282 dollars for a replacement radiator. Oh well... :rolleyes:

Radiator lasted 392k miles and header tank seal failed. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Man...when it rains it poors.  My OEM radiator only made it to about 180k.  It would have gone longer if my fan clutch bearing didn't seize and break my fan shaft...which sent my fan for a ride underneath the hood.  Total radiator destruction and the belt and shroud didn't like it too much either. :spend:

25 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Sure enough the driver side tank blew out started leaking just above the drain cock

Interesting.  My radiator had the same failure at 309,000 miles.  I guess we can't complain - that is a lot of trouble free miles.

- John

• Like 1

• Owner

Just changed out the radiator this morning and got the coolant flushed and a new NAPA thermostat installed. The new radiator I picked up from NAPA for $282.00 was a Spectra Radiator looks to be of a very good design. The ditch the drain cock for a drain plug which I'm happy to have. The radiator is still a large 2 core radiator. All mounting and clips proper size and type.

Back to running the highway. Nearly 400k miles before the coolant pH finally ate the rubber seal. There is no cracks in the radiator header tanks just the rubber seal failed. This is why coolant flush should be done BEFORE 100k miles. When the pH level gets corrosive enough it will start to break down the rubber seals. Like just on my last fix was the oil cooler gasket which the pH was enough to eat the rubber seal bead on the gasket and start it leaking. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

You did good, I only got 220k on my radiator. It was my bad, I only changed coolant once in that time. I replaced it with a Spectra also. I have since changed the coolant twice in 110k miles.

What is your take on the difference in cooling capacity going from two large cores to 3 smaller cores with the same total core thickness? The early 2nd gens were 3 core and when they changed out the radiator for a 2 core the performance went down. My oem was a two core, the Spectra I installed was a two core. I am looking at a three core but hate to not improve from my two core.

Also, for some reason when I try to post, an ad gets in the way. Why is that? I have to jump threads to get rid of it because it covers my post button.

Edited by NIsaacs
  • Like 1

• Owner
1 hour ago, NIsaacs said:

What is your take on the difference in cooling capacity going from two large cores to 3 smaller cores with the same total core thickness?

Most likely likely little change. The thickness would have to change to gain something. Like in the pass I use to have a stock 2 row radiator in the 1973 Dodge Charger and upgraded to 3 row radiator and it got thicker in the radiator face. If the tubes just get smaller and 3 of them now much is going to be gained.

• Staff

Luckily the next Friday the 13th with a full moon is 30 years away. 

2 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

Also, for some reason when I try to post, an ad gets in the way. Why is that? I have to jump threads to get rid of it because it covers my post button.

I’ve been having the same issue. Phone and computers. 

• Like 2

It hasn't happened to me yet.  Do y'all think that's Mike's way of allowing the more important opinions to post while screening some of the marginally important ones?  :lol3:

Just kidding...you guys write good posts...sometimes.:poke:

Edited by Bullet
  • Haha 2

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:12 AM, NIsaacs said:

Also, for some reason when I try to post, an ad gets in the way.

I am having the same problem when I try to post.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:07 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

The new radiator I picked up from NAPA for $282.00 was a Spectra Radiator looks to be of a very good design

I put the same radiator in my truck last March, 13,000 miles ago.  It seems to be doing its job well.  Most of the miles have  been towing throughout the summer months over lots of mountain grades.

- John

• Staff

Not my Ram, but the Toyota decided to wet itself this week. Wife drives a 03 4Runner with 191K on it and it's leaking at the end cap crimps on the passenger side. Not too much, about 1 cup in a 30 mile drive, but parts are on order. 

Denso got the best reviews and seemed popular on toyota forums. Good price too, guess I know what I am tearing apart on sunday before the new one gets here. 

Guess the runner was reading this thread and felt left out. It is the first mileage related failure we've had on it, not bad for 14 years and 165K miles of ownership. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I’m thinking about changing out the radiator in my 2000 Dodge.  Anyone have an opinion on the all aluminum radiators.  I was looking at those made by Mishimoto. I’ve always changed my coolant every two years and and run the Fleece Performance Collins system by-pass.  I’m just trying to be proactive here and replace it before it’s decides it wants to be replace in the middle of no where.