• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mobil 50 trans fluid in new rebuild

Mobil 50 trans fluid update

2 members active in this conversation (including you)
  1. Mopar1973Man
    Mopar1973Man 
    Not read yet
  2. Scottyv
    Scottyv
    Read: Just now

Hi, New to you site but long time follower of you on this and other sites you post, thanks for many great tips and advice to me and other 5.9ers .

I just had my trans replaced while on a trip in Wyoming. the Guy who did the work seemed confident but he put "BG750 ultra guard gear oil".

I was interested in your test with Mobil 50, I have followed your posts but was wondering if you have and update. (Im not finding the stock oil) and looking at Amsoil MTG or the oil your using. Just looking to change it out with a the most correct oil, I also just read that your trans broke. mine broke from third gear and the input shaft, so I opted for the large 1 1/3rd inch shaft.

the Shop that put in the trans and SBDD clutch put in the following oil, (which concerns me a bit. Wondering what you think?)

He filled the trans with The BG750 says GL5 plus Gl4 . (but I'm just not wanting to rebuild again in a year or so, due to the syncro issues. It shifts a little notchy in first and reverse. but there is only 1000 mile or less on it.

Any advise would be helpful, I can go from there,

Thanks

BG 750  Product description says. 

BG Ultra Guard is the first "true" multi-purpose gear oil available in the automotive market. It is a synthetic (polyalphaolefin) gear oil blended to SAE 75W-90 viscosity and can be used in all car and truck axle applications calling for a GL-5 gear oil. It can also be used in all truck standard transmissions and automotive manual transmissions, transaxles and transfer cases calling for GL-4 gear oil, engine oil or ATF, as long as viscometric requirements are satisfied.

BG Ultra Guard provides thermal stability, optimum drive line efficiency, quieter operation, protection against wear, pitting and corrosion, seal compatibility and improved seal performance, improved fuel efficiency, reduced maintenance, long drain life, extended component life, application versatility. BG Ultra Guard is covered by the BG Best Guarantee Program.

•  
  •  

• Staff

I'm trying to find that description and can't. The one I found on BG750 says this,

The high level of extreme pressure additive in a GL-5 type product can be aggressive toward yellow metals utilized in many standard transmissions or transfer cases.

To me that's not something I would put in a NV4500 with syncro's.

This is the product you're talking about, correct?

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive-line/bg-ultra-guard-full-synthetic-gear-lubricant/#bg-product-6

• Like 2

• Owner

Optimally the fluid need to be GL-4. Period. Viscosity only matter for shift quality. 50 weight is more like straight 90 weight gear lube. The factory is 75w-85. Once I run out of the Mobil 50 weight I'm going to switch to Valvoline MTF 75w-90 lube which is also a GL-4 lube. 

Even with my rebuild and brass syncros it still shift fine. The dual disc clutch makes the throws slower waiting for the syncro to slow the shaft down and get up to the next get. Other than that Abe at Weller Truck still continues to cover the warranty with Mobil 50 weight trans fluid. 

Just for information purpose Dodge Dealer drop the 75w-85 and are now filling both NV4500 and NV5600 transmissions with ATF+4. Which is neither a GL-4 fluid nor even close to the 75w-85 fluid for viscosity. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

https://www.napaonline.com/p/VAD811095 - Valvoline MTF - $9.99 a quart. 

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VAR706035M - Valvoline 50 SAE - $12.60 a quart

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PZE3501 - PennzOil Syncromech - $4.89 a quart. - NV5600

Way cheaper than Redline $20 a quart or AMSOil. I've been hunting for common label product not high dollar racing synthetics. Even the dealer stuff if you can get it is $27 a quart. If NV5600 can have $5 a quart fluid why does the NV4500 need $20 plus a quart fluid? Don't say the syncros... I've already proved that is not true!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

. If NV5600 can have $5 a quart fluid why does the NV4500 need $20 plus a quart fluid? Don't say the syncros... I've already proved that is not true!

Thanks for sharing that one on the synchromesh. I usually pay $8+ for a quart for it. Just got 14 more for the shelf.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the input.

I was think the same, " if the 5600" but if it  has different syncros then I get that different fluids is best. I just saw the BG 750 stuff on my receipt, and thought this is not the right stuff, now with an 1k on that im in a hurry to get it out.

I can get Amsoil from local dist for 12.00 each but it seems like the thicker fluid has done well for Moparman.

What about this? I'm thinking  a blend of mobil 50wt and some amsoil MTG because of the viscosity   keeping with the GL4 type fluids. My SBDD is notchy If I dont wait for the spindown. And I miss the stock LUK. But not when towing. I can feel the grab. But it is much noisier and there is a slight vibration that the stock set up counterbalanced. Im told all this is normal and with a  1 year warranty I'll be watching it. 

11 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I'm trying to find that description and can't. The one I found on BG750 says this,

The high level of extreme pressure additive in a GL-5 type product can be aggressive toward yellow metals utilized in many standard transmissions or transfer cases.

To me that's not something I would put in a NV4500 with syncro's.

This is the product you're talking about, correct?

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/drive-line/bg-ultra-guard-full-synthetic-gear-lubricant/#bg-product-6

Found it here..says...

"It can also be used in all truck standard transmissions and automotive manual transmissions, transaxles and transfer cases calling for GL-4 gear oil, engine oil or ATF, as long as viscometric requirements are satisfied. BG Ultra-Guard™ provides thermal stability, smoother gear shifting, optimum drive line efficiency, quieter operation, protection against wear, pitting and corrosion, seal compatibility and improved seal performance"

http://www.bgfleming.com/Part/750

I have on a shelf. Im gonna try the Mobil 50wt trans fluid. are you filling to filler of topping it up to the top of gears from the shifter?.

Some people say that makes the fluid have less cooling time. But more fluid should mean more cooling. 

Also

I was thinking of building my own version of this cooler with a fass DDRP  I have on a shelf. With a remote front trans cooler unit. and click it on when towing in fifth.

Driftmotion Manual Transmission Oil Cooler Kit , https://www.driftmotion.com/Driftmotion-Manual-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Kit-p/dm3561.htm

• Staff
12 hours ago, Scottyv said:

Hey thanks for the input.

I was think the same, " if the 5600" but if it  has different syncros then I get that different fluids is best. I just saw the BG 750 stuff on my receipt, and thought this is not the right stuff, now with an 1k on that im in a hurry to get it out.

I can get Amsoil from local dist for 12.00 each but it seems like the thicker fluid has done well for Moparman.

What about this? I'm thinking  a blend of mobil 50wt and some amsoil MTG because of the viscosity   keeping with the GL4 type fluids. My SBDD is notchy If I dont wait for the spindown. And I miss the stock LUK. But not when towing. I can feel the grab. But it is much noisier and there is a slight vibration that the stock set up counterbalanced. Im told all this is normal and with a  1 year warranty I'll be watching it. 

Found it here..says...

"It can also be used in all truck standard transmissions and automotive manual transmissions, transaxles and transfer cases calling for GL-4 gear oil, engine oil or ATF, as long as viscometric requirements are satisfied. BG Ultra-Guard™ provides thermal stability, smoother gear shifting, optimum drive line efficiency, quieter operation, protection against wear, pitting and corrosion, seal compatibility and improved seal performance"

http://www.bgfleming.com/Part/750

I have on a shelf. Im gonna try the Mobil 50wt trans fluid. are you filling to filler of topping it up to the top of gears from the shifter?.

Some people say that makes the fluid have less cooling time. But more fluid should mean more cooling. 

Also

I was thinking of building my own version of this cooler with a fass DDRP  I have on a shelf. With a remote front trans cooler unit. and click it on when towing in fifth.

Driftmotion Manual Transmission Oil Cooler Kit , https://www.driftmotion.com/Driftmotion-Manual-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Kit-p/dm3561.htm

I would be contacting them, as they are publishing contradictory information about that fluid. 

• Like 1