• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 24v missing

• Owner

Ugh... :ahhh: Check for error codes... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/obd2-error-codes/obd2-error-codes.htm Check fuel pressure... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/fuel-pressure/fuel-pressure.htm But white smoke is a sign of retarded timing. I'm going to bet money you going to turn up a P0216 error code and also find that your fuel pressure is below 10 PSI most of the time... (Takin' a guess!)

• Owner

Still the fact remains the white smoke is caused from retarded timing and the timing is solely controlled by the ECM/VP44. now you say 15-16 typically for pressure... But what is your idle pressure and what is you WOT pressure? These 2 number tell more of a story... Unless you got a damaged injector that is hung open. Pop testing would tell you that...

mopar man thanks for your promped replys. the idle pressure is 16 to 17 and the wot is 13 to 14, when this thing done this to me i was thinking of an injector to so i had a 3/4 wrench so i had the truck idling and cracked 1,3,5 injector lines because they were easeier and came up with nothing. is that the same as a pop test or what is it and how do you preform it. sorry for the time between posts i work nights and aint got much time to post but try to as much as i can.

i have talked to a shop around here that does deals with injection and im gonne pull them out this weekend and take them to him monday to get tested, In the mean time i got another set of 80 hp injectors im gonne slide in to it and see what happens. i read your post on cleaning them and will do that before putting them in. thanks for the in put.

i have talked to a shop around here that does deals with injection and im gonne pull them out this weekend and take them to him monday to get tested

i would want to see it go thru the test. i have heard that the benches for these are $$$, so not every garage has them(vast majority do not). i have been robbed my someone's "test" before(not on a VP44 tho).

hey guys thanks for the input! here is an update after this weekend, i pulled out my 150 horse that was in it and stuck in a set of 80 horse and the problem is still there. while i got the valve cover off i took a look at the push rods and rocker arms...everything seemed to be working right. New VP 44 put on a month ago, wondering if this might be the problem, but no codes are coming up??? Any other ideas or input...

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys here is an update. i have not ran a commpression check yet havent found any where to get the tool, but here is what i have done, i used my fass and pumped a full tank of fuel and additive out and put in new, rechecked fuel pressure, and checked for codes everything still looks the same, this weekend i will be going to pick up a snap on scanner and a temp gun so i can check each cylinder to see if they are close in tempor if one is cooler or warmer. sorry guys my wording might be a lil confusing but i hope you can desifer what im trying to say.

• Owner

prowelder dan you send me the instuctions on how to re set the apps or can some one send them to me? im gonna call the company i got the pump from and see if they can tell me anything or what not.

ECM & APPS Calibration

Disconnect the batteries and leave disconnected for at least 30 minutes. Now reconnect the batteries.

Turn key to ON position. Without starting engine, slowly press throttle pedal to floor and then slowly release. This step must be done (one time) to ensure accelerator pedal position sensor calibration has been learned by ECM. If not done, possible DTC’s may be set.

• Like 1