• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

@Dynamic This one is seeking your advice. I can't afford one of your valve bodies or a converter right now so its time for a shift kit. Transmission was rebuilt to factory specs by Cottman Transmission about 25,000 miles ago, before i bought it. Works fine, no slipping or other issues. I use it for a daily driver with occasional hauling/towing, max load of 10,000lbs. I have installed Sonnax accumulator piston, second gear super servo, billet band strut and anchor, Rostra transducer & OD/TC solenoids, Borg Warner pressure solenoid, LPW deep pan, and adjusted bands and TV cable. I do not like how these transmissions shift. To me they shift too soft. I like a trans that shifts firm to hard. In my toys i always run a manual reverse valve body or a trans brake. I don't want a manual VB in the truck but i would like much firmer shifts. What shift kit and/or other mods would you recommend? Please keep in mind funds are limited. Can't do a VB or converter at this time. Trying to stick with pan off stuff. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

If it were mine I'd put a gauge on it and see what pressure it's making. And then turn up the pressure some.  A bump in pressure may be all you need.

You could also tighten TV cable a smidge to make it shift under alittle more pressure.  

May not need to spend any money

Cottman didn't do anything with the valve body?

Set TV cable to have just a fuzz of slack at wide open throttle. 

I bend the bracket the cable goes through before it attached to TV lever to adjust it.

You talking about the TV lever return spring? If so that wont do anything unless its not returning before you messed with it

Wedge the throttle to wot. Truck off see how much play the TV lever has till it seats. Adjust cable from this point to just a fuzz of play in the lever. 

Then drive.

You need to set so 1-2 shift is happening at about 2800rpm at wide open throttle .

There is room for fine tunning characteristics. Small cable adjustments go a long ways

Theres a plastic cover over the cable pull it off so you can see the cable slack

I adjusted TV cable to factory spec. Then put this spring on. This holds TV open more at light throttle increasing line pressure. When at WOT the spring is stretched out but it takes up all the slack in TV cable. Notice 2nd pic at WOT cable still has very slight bow. Lever on trans all the way back, throttle wide open and not limited at all. This helped the feel of the 1-2 shift at light to part throttle most.  Eventually i will figure out who has my pressure gauge and can check line pressure.

20190918_152102.jpg

20190918_152110.jpg

I guess what I'm really wanting to know is should i use a Transgo TFOD-DIESEL shift kit or something else? Anything special i should do? Anything to definitely not do? I know i need to get a gauge on it and check line pressure. Stock rebuild, stock replacement converter as far as i know. 

I remember seeing a post on a forum somewhere about adding that spring but I think they were talking about it helping the downshift when slowing down and coming to a stop.  My transmission is not downshifting and I wanted to give this a try and I was trying to find the post again but I never did find it.  Thanks @Gregturley for the picture and info.  Off to ACE hardware... :burnout:

I know dynamic it esnt huge on shift kits. Theres a ton to know about these valve bodies

The guy that did my tranny did the tfod kit. Me being me I disabled it with a tfod kit on hand I up the 1-2 and 2-3 shift ports and made sure all the tfod kit was installed 

I think a shift kit is better than nothing to increase pressure and lockup

The transgo kit does have good directions took me about 4 hrs to do it.  I think if I can come up with a core and 500 bucks I'll try dynamics valve body.

I want one of his VB's and a good converter. I can afford a shift kit. I used one years ago in a 47rh and it did help. i am trying to figure out if i want to do a kit now or wait till spring/summer and try to save up for a VB from dynamic. I know i should probably just wait and get a VB but im pretty impatient.

@hdpwipmonkey only thing i had to do was drill a small hole in the bracket where i wanted to hook the spring.

@kzimmer Yeah it rubs. Spring is smooth & cable justs slides through it. Haven't seen any signs of fraying yet. Don't expect to either. 

@Evan Cut the spring and bend a new end on it. I've done quite a few shift kits in old cars and 3 or 4 in the 47rh/re's. They are all simple as long as you follow directions. Mainly wondering if the Transgo kit was still one of the best for these or if there something better now. Also want to know if i decide to get a VB later if i can use a shift kitted VB as a core.