• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lock up switch

@IBMobile Got my lockup switch installed today.

Hit momentary switch and converter locks. Hit it again converter unlocks. Hit brake it unlocks. 

I used a toggle switch instead of a dimmer switch. When i flip the toggle it locks without pressing the momentary switch and brakes do not unlock converter. 

Only did a short drive to check operation but seems to work fine. 

Thanks for the write up.

• Like 1

Awesome...that's great to hear!  I have a few questions for you if you don't mind...being that you just did the mod.

How much in total parts/supplies did you end up spending? 

And how long did it take you to get it done?

What were the hardest parts about it?

Did you change anything else from IBMobile's write up besides the dimmer to toggle switch?

Thanks in advance! 

Ill get you a parts/price list tomorrow.

8 hours spent today but i made a gauge mount, reran some wiring and an air line, replaced dash bezel, did laundry, chased kids and ate dinner along with the lock up. I  prewired the relays at work but that can be done in 15-30 minutes depends on the person.

• Thanks 1

@Bullet Here you go.

Amazon-- Volvo relay-MTC VP293 / 1259750 Transmission Overdrive Relay (M46 Blue, Volvo models) $12.60

mini toggle switchs--TEQStone Pre-wired Mini Toggle Switch SPST On and Off Control for Car, Boat and Truck (Pack of 10)$9.99

mini momentary switches--Twidec/10Pcs 1A 250V AC 2 Pins SPST Red And Green Normal Open Mini Momentary Push Button Switch with Pre-soldered Wires PBS-110-XRG-$11.99

relay bases--ONLINE LED STORE 10 Pack - Bosch Style 12V DC 5-PIN SPDT Interlocking Relay Socket Harness Base (with Wires)-$10.25

Ebay--33 ohm resistor-5 pack-$5.17

I used 18 gauge wire I had along with butt connectors, bosch style relay, solder, heat shrink, etc. If you have a Radio Shack go there for resistor. None of this is hard just make sure follow the wiring diagram. I drew out my own diagram with wire colors that i used. I think if I was to do just this it could be done in 2-2.5 hours. I should have used a toggle with a saftey cover just so it cant be accidentally turned on. I'm going wire in a 2nd toggle in series with 1st one as a safety switch. 

Total spent for this was $20. Had to buy Volvo relay (12.60)and resistor (5.17). But like i said i always have wire, heat shrink, connectors, fuses, all that. The relay bases and switches i bought last year when i ran out. Think if you bought everything to do this it can be done for around $60.

Edited by Gregturley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gregturley said:

Ill get you a parts/price list tomorrow.

8 hours spent today but i made a gauge mount, reran some wiring and an air line, replaced dash bezel, did laundry, chased kids and ate dinner along with the lock up. I  prewired the relays at work but that can be done in 15-30 minutes depends on the person.

And your'e saying no beer was consumed during all that? :lmao:

1 hour ago, Gregturley said:

@Bullet Here you go.

Amazon-- Volvo relay-MTC VP293 / 1259750 Transmission Overdrive Relay (M46 Blue, Volvo models) $12.60

mini toggle switchs--TEQStone Pre-wired Mini Toggle Switch SPST On and Off Control for Car, Boat and Truck (Pack of 10)$9.99

mini momentary switches--Twidec/10Pcs 1A 250V AC 2 Pins SPST Red And Green Normal Open Mini Momentary Push Button Switch with Pre-soldered Wires PBS-110-XRG-$11.99

relay bases--ONLINE LED STORE 10 Pack - Bosch Style 12V DC 5-PIN SPDT Interlocking Relay Socket Harness Base (with Wires)-$10.25

Ebay--33 ohm resistor-5 pack-$5.17

I used 18 gauge wire I had along with butt connectors, bosch style relay, solder, heat shrink, etc. If you have a Radio Shack go there for resistor. None of this is hard just make sure follow the wiring diagram. I drew out my own diagram with wire colors that i used. I think if I was to do just this it could be done in 2-2.5 hours. I should have used a toggle with a saftey cover just so it cant be accidentally turned on. I'm going wire in a 2nd toggle in series with 1st one as a safety switch. 

Total spent for this was $20. Had to buy Volvo relay (12.60)and resistor (5.17). But like i said i always have wire, heat shrink, connectors, fuses, all that. The relay bases and switches i bought last year when i ran out. Think if you bought everything to do this it can be done for around $60.

@Gregturley, thank you Sir!  I've been looking at doing the lockup switch for a while but never liked the limitations of the more basic ones.  IBMobile's write-up looks like it does away with the limitations and doesn't look like too much of a hassle from your experience with it...cheap too! 

• Staff

I'm glad it was easy for you to do and it worked first off.   I like where you put that toggle switch and "system on" light.  I get the most use out of the lock up when going down hills in 3ed but now that Dynamic has reworked my valve body I'll be using it in 2ed too. That switch is about the same size I used for the grid heater control.   

• Thanks 1