• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Single battery concern

Brought my 98.5 from Colorado to Oklahoma. Along the way the voltage regulator in the alternator went out. One battery got warm and vented a concerning amount of fluid. (Type 31 batteries. Problem battery disconnected). Any ill effects of running a single battery until I swap alternators and get new batteries?

• Staff

Are you sure it was the voltage regulator? Often a bad crossover cable will present like a bad voltage regulator. 

Which battery overcharged?

8 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Nope the batteries are wires in parallel.

Exactly, unless there are other issues going on as well. 

I must have other issues one battery was under 12v truck put out over 14 replaced only battery under 12v.

Cleaned cables before replacing battery didn't fix it. Finally replaced low battery that was over a year ago.  No issues since

• Staff
5 hours ago, Evan said:

I must have other issues one battery was under 12v truck put out over 14 replaced only battery under 12v.

Cleaned cables before replacing battery didn't fix it. Finally replaced low battery that was over a year ago.  No issues since

How far under 12V was it? Which battery?

Drivers side.

I dont remember how far under. 

You could let another vehicle charge it for 5 minutes or so truck would start then die within minutes. 

Batteries showed same voltage hooked up to truck over 12 the bad one alone under 12.

I remember this night well I was alone a few blocks from Walmart so I bought one batter and found out just how heavy a battery is to carry 

What I should have done was move passenger battery to driver's side to see if it would then fire up and run. Or maybe just unhook the bad battery 

• 3 weeks later...