• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installing batteries ...any cautions

Beginner question...

In process of gathering new battery terminals, both batteries are out right now. Once cables are fixxed...

Is there a certain sequence I'm supposed re-connect them or pull any fuses first or anything else I should do before connecting?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

Beginner question...

In process of gathering new battery terminals, both batteries are out right now. Once cables are fixxed...

Is there a certain sequence I'm supposed re-connect them or pull any fuses first or anything else I should do before connecting?

Thanks

Me, I'd say not as I've had both mine off a few times, what I will say is remove any rings and be careful to not touch tools onto the truck, I shroud the spanner/wrench with my hands hence no rings ever, it is pretty difficult on these trucks to arc a battery  as there isn't much around the tops except the hold downs, but  I work with some serious batteries so I'm probably over cautious but thats better than having a finger burnt off because of a wedding ring

• Thanks 1

• Owner
Just now, Evan said:

Dont arc a wrench across  the terminals.  But not a huge deal if it happens 

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Standard method disconnecting...

1. Negative cables
  2. Positive cables

That is the reason for the order of disconnecting. This way with the negative cables first then ground plate is dead. The there is nothing to arc on the positive. 

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Dripley blew off all his feathers doing electrical himself. There was even a local paper that caught the storey. Anyone have that link?

Not me you pecker head,:punish: We call this BONK in chicken land!!!

One ting I always thought was weird when I resconnect my batteries is after connecting the negatives is if I connect the passager battery positive first the lift pump comes on.:think:

• Staff
53 minutes ago, dripley said:

Not me you pecker head,:punish: We call this BONK in chicken land!!!

One ting I always thought was weird when I resconnect my batteries is after connecting the negatives is if I connect the passager battery positive first the lift pump comes on.:think:

Me not pecker head.... me detector head. I find the target and you peck'em out. Get rich quick. 

Hey it's like turning on the ignition key Right?! You get that sudden momentary lift pump nudge when you first turn on the key.

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That is the reason for the order of disconnecting. This way with the negative cables first then ground plate is dead. The there is nothing to arc on the positive. 

that is not the reason, The  electrons flow out the negative side of the battery, through the electrical device, and back to the positive side of the battery. At the positive battery terminal, the electrons rush back in and are accepted by the positive plates. so with the neg off nothing flows, with the pos off there is still no flow back to the pos terminal , doesn't matter a monkeys if you are careful.... FMS and common teaching say neg first as people aren't careful, I'm careful so I don't care which comes off first

Edited by wil440

• Owner
4 hours ago, wil440 said:

that is not the reason, The  electrons flow out the negative side of the battery, through the electrical device, and back to the positive side of the battery. At the positive battery terminal, the electrons rush back in and are accepted by the positive plates. so with the neg off nothing flows, with the pos off there is still no flow back to the pos terminal , doesn't matter a monkeys if you are careful.... FMS and common teaching say neg first as people aren't careful, I'm careful so I don't care which comes off first

Actually that is not it really... Just pulling the negative first removes the biggest plate to short against. Once the negative cables are removed the positive removal will be harmless. Then during hook up the positive cable is first being the ground plate is still dead. Thern your negative to complete the power up. Lots of little cars have very tight places where batteries are installed. While you unhooking the negative the wrench can touch body with no harm or arcing.

• Staff
7 hours ago, Evan said:

Best reply I've seen. I had an old guy explain it to me one time but forgot must not have matterd. Either way I've also managed to make sparks

That why dripley cleans his on the 4th of july .......for neighborhood fireworks. I hear all the kids love him for it.

• Haha 1

The first time I went to change the battery in my wife's old car (2008 Dodge Avenger) I popped the hood and for the life of me I couldn't find the battery :shrug:.  After some Google-Fu I found out its in the wheel well of the driver's side front :duh:.  I had to jack up the car, remove the tire, and pull out the inner wheel well plastic.  I always pull the negative first but with this battery I made absolutely sure to pull it first!  Way to tight in there not to.  I was glad when that car went bye-bye :thumb1: 

• Sad 1

Well I have worked on several cars with assinine battery placement. All of the later model Chrysler's out then in the driver's fender. VW loves to put them in the fire wall, so that you have to deadlift then out with your back. And you seriously need to keep those terminals covered. And I've had it arc easily too.

What I find the best enertainment was trying to tighten the positive terminal and managing to have the  wrench spin backwards and spark again the battery. Of course over the years I've found it better to go positive only when the ground is disconnected. Then you get no Sparks at all.

Edited by pepsi71ocean