• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Quadzilla installed--low power and 0 smoke?

Hi Guys.. truck is a 1999 nv4500 4x4 3/4 ton.  Virgin i just bought off original owner with 169k miles.  Stock injectors.  Only mods are gauges and a FASS pump.

Added Quad ADR today with iquad for android.  I HAVE NOT TAPPED THE PUMP YET and had planned to run on lvl 3 for now...

Got correct truck profile selected and quad app is reading all engine parameters.. went for test drive..... Valet mode (lvl 1) works.. half power limp mode lol.  

Turned it up to lvl 3 which should be timing and max Can bus fueling and truck is weak.  I am actually having a hard time telling if it is more powerful than level 0 (stock) ??  Definitely does not feel like a 65hp increase.

No smoke, and weak power delivery.  Can hardly get EGTs to 850* on a WOT run.

Is this normal?  I figured i'd at least get some smoke with max can bus fuel... no?  Or is wire tap going to be required?

Supporting mods;

Glow Shift Boost/fuel psi/pyro gauges

FASS pump

New stock clutch

Edited by gimmie11s

• Owner
5 hours ago, gimmie11s said:

Turned it up to lvl 3 which should be timing and max Can bus fueling and truck is weak.  I am actually having a hard time telling if it is more powerful than level 0 (stock) ??  Definitely does not feel like a 65hp increase.

Did you build a fuel map? If the fuel map is all 100% then it will do nothing but be stock.

Is this normal? 

Yes if you not build a custom tune and relying on the factory setup. I'm wonder if you have v1 or v2 tuning which is just a matter of flashing the tuner the with the current firmware.

I figured i'd at least get some smoke with max can bus fuel... no?

No not typically. 

Or is wire tap going to be required?

Even with 7 x 0.010 injectors and my small HX35/40 turbo I still have zero smoke with the wire tap turned up. All in the tuning. Smoke is a bad sign of flooding the engine with fuel and lacking boost and retard timing. Enough power to tear the tires loose on command and eat 5th gear.

DSCF4627.JPG

Here is my own write up on tuning...

Here is my current Economy tune which can reach 22 MPG.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

Thank you!!

No, I haven't built or adjusted anything outside of clicking up power levels on the dashboard.  I definitely have v2 tuning because level 1  Valet mode works great, plus i just bought the tuner yesterday and is brand new.

How can I tell if I have the new V2 Adrenaline Custom tuning on my module?
There are a couple of ways to tell if you have the new V2 tuning on your Adrenaline. The first is to drive in power level 1. If it is slower and more sluggish than stock, you have the V2 tuning. 

I didnt think i'd have to build tunes and would be able to run the factory Quadzilla "canned" tunes.

How do i acces the level 3 65 hp?  Below is what im trying gain access to.

What are the power levels on my Factory Adrenaline? 

PL00: Stock with Boost Fooling
PL01: Max Mileage (Timing Only)
PL02: 60 HP Gain (Timing + CAN stretch)
PL03: 75 HP Gain (Timing + CAN stretch + Fuel Stretch)
PL04: 90 HP
PL05: 105 HP
PL06: 120 HP
PL07: 135 HP
PL08: 150 HP
PL09: 165 HP
PL10: 180 HP

Edited by gimmie11s

Alright i think i figured it out.  Im on the default tuning and it appears i am getting the "65hp" that level 3 should deliver.

Couple things:

1.  I did not have a boost elbow hooked up.  Now i do (actually its a Turbosmart manual boost controller) and on level 3 im getting 24 psi boost up from about 17 stock.

2.  I data logged two 3rd and 4th gear pulls.  First was on Level 0 and my max timing was 22.5* and max Canbus fuel was 3360.  Second pull was on Level 3.  Same 3rd adn 4th gear WOT runs yielded 25* max timing and maxed out Canbus fueling of 4095.

So it appears it is working.  Unfortunately this is not near enough power for me haha.

Next steps for me are to tap the pump and see what that does.  If im satisfied, ill then leave it alone.

If not, i have some new Power Driven Diesel 7x.0085 injector nozzles in my garage that i will install that should be good for another 75hp.

look at our hosted tunes, the default tune is VERY safe for ANY application and isn't really geared towards being super aggressiv

both of these tunes will give a much different feel than the stock tune.

This tune is simply the hardest fueling tune ever put out for the quad.  If you go WOT it will give you all the fuel.

• Like 2

Thanks so much.. you are a mad scientist about these trucks.. you and Mopar1973man.

You guys are great.

Well.. i tapped the pump AND installed my 75hp injectors.  Spent the day in the garage and just wrapped up.

HOLY CRAP this thing runs like a scalded *** ape on the upper levels.  Damn near spiked my EGT gauge momentarily.. .think i saw 1450 or so for a split second.

Good times!!

Oh by the way... im still on the factory exhaust.  Diamond eye 4" turbo back is supposed to be delivering tomorrow so im sure that will help some.

Back story is i also have a 4th gen 2016 cummins truck that i am thinking about selling.  Told myself that if i could get this 2nd gen to be 75% of the towing machine the 2016 is, then i'd sell the 2016 and get out of the payment.

Well... Vroom will be picking up the 2016 next week.. loving this 2nd gen!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Edited by gimmie11s
  • Like 1

• Owner
12 hours ago, gimmie11s said:

Diamond eye 4" turbo back is supposed to be delivering tomorrow so im sure that will help some.

No change in EGT's for me. The biggest change is getting the tune correct. Timing mostly. I'm already running 4 inch diamond eye with muffler and no change in EGT's. But a bad tune can make serious EGT's quickly. Also excessive low final drive ratio will also make serious EGT's (oversized tires on 3.55 gears).

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
1 hour ago, gimmie11s said:

My truck has 4.10's so it should run a bit cooler towing hopefully.

What size tires are you running? I'll math out your final ratio to the ground. Optimally it should be 3.55 to 3.73 to the ground for MPG purpose. In your case a slightly larger tire than stock is optimal with 4.10 gears. 

It has metric 33's on it.. .285/75r16.

I would say 4.10s are too much gear for an everyday driver, but will be fantastic when i hook up our 12k 5th wheel to it.

My first tank of fuel hand calc'd out to 17.8 mpg.. 441 miles and 24.8 gallons used.  220 of those miles were towing about 4500 lbs .. 

I think she'd do right next to 20 mpg unloaded.

4.jpg.fa400c7d6652e11af549940d5a4f4bb2.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What size tires are you running? I'll math out your final ratio to the ground. Optimally it should be 3.55 to 3.73 to the ground for MPG purpose. In your case a slightly larger tire than stock is optimal with 4.10 gears. 

I would also be interested in your math for 4.10 ratio to 3.73 with tire change.

You could go a bit bigger on tires I think with the 4:10's. I will defer to Mike on the calcs. I pull a 15k 5th wheel on 3:55's and it does well pulling even in 6th, on the Inter state. In the hill country I see 5th some, just depends on the hills. This is on 265's. 

• Like 1