• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Quadzilla installed--low power and 0 smoke?

@Mopar1973Man my buddy is selling me a brand new fass 165g but it’s the kit that just has the quick connect to the stock pump in the tank. And return goes to filler neck. So no draw straw. Will this work or should I buy the kit that comes with a draw straw. He’s selling it to me for 500$ brand new 

CC67D3CC-73CF-4DF9-A108-A2DBD463F5A3.jpeg

189D72BD-B904-4E45-A8E7-72DDE8C3BC62.jpeg

You sure that is not to go to the stock pick up in a non intank pump set up? Cant believe FASS wants you to pull fuel thru another pump.

Your truck did not come stock with the pump in the tank.

Edited by dripley

@dripley I typed in that part number on google and clicked install instructions and doesn’t have anything that says it needs a sump or draw straw.  I know there is online kits that come with a draw straw  should I just pass on this or am I okay

It’s saying use the factory suction spot to clip the fass quick connect

5A4D49C0-A1AA-4C34-952F-545902BC023F.jpeg

Here is a good look at the intank pump fuel basket.

post-10340-138698183186_thumb.jpg

1 minute ago, Otto8335 said:

@dripley how will I determine if I have a in tank pump or not. Listen to the prime? 

Just bump the starter, no engine start, and see where your pump noise comes from. It should run for 20 seconds or so.

Pretty much looks like the in tank pump basket. The basket will need to be modified. I would think that FASS would sell such a kit. My AD 165 came with one back 9 years ago and they still sell them.The engine return line goes to the basket also so it is not just the pump return you need to consider. 

I am sure they can help you. The kit that came with mine deleted the pump and used the basket for the pick up and all the return lines. Different back then as to today.

14 minutes ago, Otto8335 said:

@dripley I think I’m just gonna call fass and ask them excatly what I need and do the draw kit and be done with it.  I hate over thinking all of this.  I also saw the AD kits come with the long draw straw too so you don’t have to mess with anything else 

you might also want to ask them about the warranty on the pump since you wont have the original sales receipt.

• Thanks 1

• Owner

I would avoid that kit that is just me though. Quick connectors tend to always leak air. Then having the the stock draw straw used is too restrictive for a 165 pump period. Then if your using the stock backet your returning hot fuel to the pump to pick up first. 

Should have its own draw straw away from returned fuel from either the pump or the engine. 

Should be all 1/2 hose from straw to engine. 

Should KEEP the stock filter. Doubled filter is optimal and the fuel heater helps a bunch for winter. (+19*F here this morning).

FASS pumps because of the large size are more prone to gelling issues. (Which my AirDog never had an issues with all the way to -40*F)

On 10/29/2019 at 6:46 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

FASS pumps because of the large size are more prone to gelling issues. (Which my AirDog never had an issues with all the way to -40*F)

I do not understand why this statement is constantly made? I have never had an issue with my FASS gelling driving 1000's of miles every winter in snow, slush and single digit to sub zero temperatures. I have (3) 2nd, (1) 3rd and (2) 4th gen's in the family all running FASS in these conditions without issue. Just my :2cents: but everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

• Owner
15 minutes ago, BBHD said:

I do not understand why this statement is constantly made? I have never had an issue with my FASS gelling driving 1000's of miles every winter in snow, slush and single digit to sub zero temperatures. I have (3) 2nd, (1) 3rd and (2) 4th gen's in the family all running FASS in these conditions without issue. Just my :2cents: but everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

Because the 3 FASS fuel systems that I sold locally all have issues with gelling up and having the filters struck in off-road conditions. Last one I sold gelled every winter. The guy got so pissed off at the FASS pump and the truck he sold the truck. Every winter New Meadows is subzero like -20F to -30F every winter. Typically the water and slush gets in the motor locking it up or it gelled up tight. These are all installed according to FASS instructions. What is better yet both running the same fuel from the same fuel station. FASS gelled up and the AirDog kept going.

My truck has NEVER gelled once. Even working beside a FASS doing the same work that FASS would gel up and I was towing him home. That why. The other two pump end up being replaced because the fact of the filters being struck by off road usage where the filter hang below the frame rails. Once the filter are damage prime is lost and the truck is sitting dead.

Edited by Mopar1973Man