• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tips for properly installing the airdog draw straw

Back in january i got an airdog 150 with half inch fuel lines. I used the included draw straw from airdog. I remember seeing several people with complaints so being as i have yet to have an issue i thought i would offer up what i did and how well it has worked for me so far.

So in the instructions it says to cut the end of it at an angle. I cannot remember how much of an angle i used but i would say roughly a 45 is what i ended up doing (actually i think now that i did about a 35 degree cut with some side cutters). Face and cut it so the opening of this angled bottom is facing away from the bottom corner of the tank to avoid having it get stuck to the bottom. Length wise i dont have a true measurement but i trimmed it until it was just barely off the bottom and again keep the opening away from flat areas that could suction closed your fuel system. Keep in mind that you also have to factor in the direction that your new fuel lines will be coming in from and how you are routing them.

For location i used the flat spot in the top of the tank that is inboard (driveshaft side) and slightly rearward from the original fuel pump and put it right in near the middle of that. Far enough from the side that you can get the straw down to the very bottom. This keeps the straw near enough to the original low point that you should be able to avoid issues with fuel slushing front to back.

Do this with a full or mostly full tank. My lift pump failed with about 7/8 of a tank. I originally had hoped to lift the bed up on one side but all of those bolts were rusted in place and the only way i got my fuel tank to come out was with a piece of pipe as a breaker bar and it was still a nightmare. I used a 2x4 to actually build a support to put between my floor jack and the fuel tank and i made 2 little short pieces to sit right next to the fuel tank straps so i could still get them on and off. Doing it this way also doubled as a way to make sure that when trimming the straw down to the right length that the tank still had its low points and i didnt lose any fueling ability when getting down near that E mark. 

Use a heat gun to get the hoses to fit snug and at the time it was also about 20 to 30 degrees out around here so it was a necessity really.

These are probably just common sense things but i hope they help. Ive ran this thing down to fumes several times now and have yet to lose fuel pressure or even get a noticeable amount of air in the system. Not that i would hear the pump while driving but literally no issues with my install.

Another tip from experience. Dont let your lift pump fail in winter when all you have to work on is a gravel driveway on the side of a hill and a harbor freight floor jack that wont go up high enough and all the bolts are seized and theres snow on the ground.

Edited by 2000Ram2500
Angle
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Glad it’s working for you, it’s a good feeling when you know that you won’t be sucking air if ever caught with a low tank. I just used the flat quarter on the bottom of tank for a measurement on my draw straw with a slightly beveled end, that was with it empty on saw horses 

• Owner

The gap between the tip and the tank bottom should be the thickness of 1 or 2 quarters coins. Should be measured with a empty tank! Then the end should be cut straight. NO cuts at a slope, slant, or other wise. You may notch the tip but only 1/16" of a inch deep. No more!

300k miles.... Only time I see that is climbing steep grades at low fuel. Launching like 1/4 mile race track them I can pull the fuel to the rear of the tank. Normal driving I can pull down to EMPTY or the 1/8 tank mark no problem. 

Image result for mopar1973man draw straw

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Always a ton of different ways to do anything. Pictures look great @mopar1973man and it definitely looks like you wont have any problems with fueling there.

With limited resources i could only do so much.. i only had half of my tools and if we werent living in an apartment at the time this would be a different story i would have pulled the tank out and brought it inside but trying to do it outside in 20 to 30 degree weather with snow and ice on the ground while im trying to work in gravel on a hill i think i did pretty good. And i had to get my truck running again so the wife and i could stop carpooling which for us added an extra hour and a half onto our day in just commuting time.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled the bed off. 

Had a skidsteer handy to yank bed off.

I can suck 30g gallons out of the tank. That's running with fuel light on.

My girl friend ran it out but she ran with full light on for like 2 days.

No clue how I cut the draw straw. I was alittle worried after reading about people running out at a 1/4 tank.

My assumption is they dont follow directions or use common sence when installing parts.

But we all know what we get making assumptions 

• Like 1