• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gona burn it like I'm young again.

Evan

Christine and I are planning to burn to Kansas.  2400rd trip in November. 

Well be dragging a ford home and everything of her sons we can fit on the goose kneck. 

I'm slightly concerned about snow going through wyoming(Evanston)

I'll need to get a front driveline before possibly a set of chains to toss on the steers .

I told christine if conditions are bad enough we could regret going my mind says November will be fine but the voice in the back of my head wonders if I'm making a mistake in agreeing to go. 4wd will only take so far doesn't matter if we cant see .

In my younger days I burned Orlando to here in 48hrs non stop. 3 of us driving dragnet a trailer.

I'm not young anymore and I'm not sure how this trip will turn out. I know I cant pull 2400 miles without help. I also know I'll never sleep with christine at the wheel.

Truck is solid trailer's got knee rubber.  I'll tell her steer straight and keep temps in check dont lug it in over drive. 

• Staff

November can have nasty weather, but it rarely lasts more than a day or two...unlike January. Always better to grab a hotel than a ditch. 

Chains are a must, I carry 3 pairs in the winter. One set of quick fits, and 2 sets of v-bar HD chains... ya never know, thou I've never chained up the truck on a paved road. I have put drag chains on thou, and recommend a set of them. The Les Schwab buy and return deal is pretty good on chains. 

I've got a set of chains for 35s that might fit. I to have never chained up on a paved rd. 

I agree a hotel is the best option.  It's not the 6" storms but the ones over there dumping feet and drifting highways closed that I'm worried.

• Owner

I typically run as far as 2WD will allow on snow covered roads. Then when I shift to 4WD then I should be asking do I really need to be out here right now? If I install chains I should be turning back to safety. Once the chains come out that is your last trick you can pull and shouldn't travel on through you should be looking for a safe place till the conditions change. 

Wider tires tend to make for poor traction. Like looking at it this way. If I was to step out in the snow my foot will compact to solid ground. Now if you put on snowshoes you now walk on top of the snow. Basically with 35's you've got snowshoes on and going to float on top of the snow and ice. In all my years I found much better traction on a set of 235/85 R16's (31" inch tires) than any other tire I've ran. I can travel much farther without 4WD and never used chains once in nearly 400k miles. I've still got the brand new set hanging in the wood shed unused. 

With my current 245/75 R16's the tire is only 10mm wider, but 1 inch short at 30 inches. The only problem is I must turn down the Quad being the smaller tire puts more torque to the ground so it extremely easy to spin the tires. Using level 3 is pretty solid so far.