• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front brake dust shields

21 minutes ago, Bullet said:

I googled Dana 60 front brake shields and all kinds of stuff came up from several different companies.  Dorman was one of them... 

I did too. If you click on any of those pictures it's a dust shield alright, but for anything other than a Dodge. Going to Dormans website directly does not yield any results, at least not for a 1999. I am finding some later model stuff though.

11 minutes ago, dripley said:

Pretty sure LMC Truck has them.

Forgot about them. I'll check.

I checked.

3500's start at 2003 model year in LMC. Looks like my 99 is obsolete :cry:

Edited by dave110

Well, that's good to hear. What's your reason for that? What about the spacer that's in between the shield and the unit bearing? What's it's purpose? I was thinking I'd replace it all if I could. I never got the chance to remove them. PennDot's road salt did it for me.

I couldn't find any dustshields for my truck ether other than dealler for lots of money, so I gambled and got doorman for 03 and up and they fit perfectly except they were 1/2" all around bigger, but I lucked out because I had 03 and up breaks too so it was a perfect match. 

Not sure on 3500 and 99 though. 

11 hours ago, dave110 said:

Well, that's good to hear. What's your reason for that? What about the spacer that's in between the shield and the unit bearing? What's it's purpose? I was thinking I'd replace it all if I could. I never got the chance to remove them. PennDot's road salt did it for me.

I pulled mine off and never looked back. I'm fairly sure I'll live to regret this though.

I dont remember a spacer. Or how the dust shields attached.  I usually have to knock a couple spot welds off with the grinder to remove them

Branches and sage brush get stuck between the dust shields and rotor also had a bar wire mess one time that was all wrapped in the shield rotor and axle.

They also get bent and contact the rotor and make funny noises. I'm not to sure what they are good at doing but I highly doubt they keep any dust out. The do more of keeping bad stuff in.

Mine have been off for 5-8years

20191010_185810.jpg

Spacer looks like this https://torqueking.com/product/10961/qu10961-brake-shield-spacer/. Mine have been off for years too. I'm gonna do rotors soon which involves removing bearings on a 99. Slip on rotors apparently were not invented yet. I thought now would be the time to replace the shields, but if they are not available I guess I won't. This place appears to have them special order for $120 a piece :cookoo:. No thanks. Just got a replacement Dorman set for my 03Tahoe and Advance had them in stock for $35 a set. I guess there's no market for them in the 2nd gen Dodge world. Thanks for the replies. They stay off.

The spacer and dust shields can be left off. The thickness of the 2 won't affect anything. Dust shields are mainly there to keep water from inbound side of rotor on most cars. Some use the dust shields to direct more air to the rotor. Dodge trucks don't. Years ago (early 90's) we had police spec Camaros. One difference was the cop Camaro didn't use a dust shield on the front but the standard Camaro did. Guess chevy thought they got more airflow without them. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dave110 said:

Spacer looks like this https://torqueking.com/product/10961/qu10961-brake-shield-spacer/. Mine have been off for years too. I'm gonna do rotors soon which involves removing bearings on a 99. Slip on rotors apparently were not invented yet. I thought now would be the time to replace the shields, but if they are not available I guess I won't. This place appears to have them special order for $120 a piece :cookoo:. No thanks. Just got a replacement Dorman set for my 03Tahoe and Advance had them in stock for $35 a set. I guess there's no market for them in the 2nd gen Dodge world. Thanks for the replies. They stay off.

Let me know when your going to do them. I can always swing by with my tools and give you a hand. I have the cups for the air chizle and such.

• Thanks 1

• Owner
23 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

I have the cups for the air chizle and such.

My last trip on wheel bearings my air chisel tool did NOT work at all. I spent over 4 hours with a very larger hammer getting the driver side bearing out of the knuckle. Make sure to anti-seize the bearing hole and use a hone tool or similar to clean the hole up. The bearing should fit true but not sloppy loose. 

Being my rotors are behind the bearings and the bearings must come out to change them, mine have been out more often than some. I ALWAYS never seize things like unit bearings. Even the pilot holes on the wheels get a coating so they don't have to be beaten off next time.Living in one of the saltiest states in the nation teaches you these things. That being said one side is done. I have a brass hammer that I stick up in there and hit the other end of it with a BFH. Bearing comes right out. The first time I did them when I bought the truck was not so easy though :mad:. Apparently the PO never heard of never seize.