Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

dave110

Front brake dust shields

Recommended Posts

Anybody know where to get dust shields for a 1999 3500? None of the auto parts stores carry them. Also checked Dorman, Summit, and Amazon. No luck. I'd think somebody has to offer them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I googled Dana 60 front brake shields and all kinds of stuff came up from several different companies.  Dorman was one of them... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bullet said:

I googled Dana 60 front brake shields and all kinds of stuff came up from several different companies.  Dorman was one of them... 

I did too. If you click on any of those pictures it's a dust shield alright, but for anything other than a Dodge. Going to Dormans website directly does not yield any results, at least not for a 1999. I am finding some later model stuff though.

11 minutes ago, dripley said:

Pretty sure LMC Truck has them.

Forgot about them. I'll check.

 

 

 

I checked.

3500's start at 2003 model year in LMC. Looks like my 99 is obsolete :cry:

Edited by dave110

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that's good to hear. What's your reason for that? What about the spacer that's in between the shield and the unit bearing? What's it's purpose? I was thinking I'd replace it all if I could. I never got the chance to remove them. PennDot's road salt did it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't find any dustshields for my truck ether other than dealler for lots of money, so I gambled and got doorman for 03 and up and they fit perfectly except they were 1/2" all around bigger, but I lucked out because I had 03 and up breaks too so it was a perfect match. 

Not sure on 3500 and 99 though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dave110 said:

Well, that's good to hear. What's your reason for that? What about the spacer that's in between the shield and the unit bearing? What's it's purpose? I was thinking I'd replace it all if I could. I never got the chance to remove them. PennDot's road salt did it for me.

I pulled mine off and never looked back. I'm fairly sure I'll live to regret this though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

I pulled mine off and never looked back. I'm fairly sure I'll live to regret this though.

What about that spacer in there? Can that go away too??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dave110 said:

What about that spacer in there? Can that go away too??

 

It shouldn't make a difference, when I put my new bearings on i ran them in till they were tight, @Mopar1973Man may have a better thought on this though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont remember a spacer. Or how the dust shields attached.  I usually have to knock a couple spot welds off with the grinder to remove them

 

Branches and sage brush get stuck between the dust shields and rotor also had a bar wire mess one time that was all wrapped in the shield rotor and axle.

 

They also get bent and contact the rotor and make funny noises. I'm not to sure what they are good at doing but I highly doubt they keep any dust out. The do more of keeping bad stuff in.

 

Mine have been off for 5-8years

 

 

 

20191010_185810.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spacer looks like this https://torqueking.com/product/10961/qu10961-brake-shield-spacer/. Mine have been off for years too. I'm gonna do rotors soon which involves removing bearings on a 99. Slip on rotors apparently were not invented yet. I thought now would be the time to replace the shields, but if they are not available I guess I won't. This place appears to have them special order for $120 a piece :cookoo:. No thanks. Just got a replacement Dorman set for my 03Tahoe and Advance had them in stock for $35 a set. I guess there's no market for them in the 2nd gen Dodge world. Thanks for the replies. They stay off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see how these thin spacers can do anything, unless there is limited room for axle to slide towards pumpkin and interfere with carrier, or u joints won't rotate on turns as designed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The spacer and dust shields can be left off. The thickness of the 2 won't affect anything. Dust shields are mainly there to keep water from inbound side of rotor on most cars. Some use the dust shields to direct more air to the rotor. Dodge trucks don't. Years ago (early 90's) we had police spec Camaros. One difference was the cop Camaro didn't use a dust shield on the front but the standard Camaro did. Guess chevy thought they got more airflow without them. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dave110 said:

Spacer looks like this https://torqueking.com/product/10961/qu10961-brake-shield-spacer/. Mine have been off for years too. I'm gonna do rotors soon which involves removing bearings on a 99. Slip on rotors apparently were not invented yet. I thought now would be the time to replace the shields, but if they are not available I guess I won't. This place appears to have them special order for $120 a piece :cookoo:. No thanks. Just got a replacement Dorman set for my 03Tahoe and Advance had them in stock for $35 a set. I guess there's no market for them in the 2nd gen Dodge world. Thanks for the replies. They stay off.

 

Let me know when your going to do them. I can always swing by with my tools and give you a hand. I have the cups for the air chizle and such.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

I have the cups for the air chizle and such.

 

My last trip on wheel bearings my air chisel tool did NOT work at all. I spent over 4 hours with a very larger hammer getting the driver side bearing out of the knuckle. Make sure to anti-seize the bearing hole and use a hone tool or similar to clean the hole up. The bearing should fit true but not sloppy loose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being my rotors are behind the bearings and the bearings must come out to change them, mine have been out more often than some. I ALWAYS never seize things like unit bearings. Even the pilot holes on the wheels get a coating so they don't have to be beaten off next time.Living in one of the saltiest states in the nation teaches you these things. That being said one side is done. I have a brass hammer that I stick up in there and hit the other end of it with a BFH. Bearing comes right out. The first time I did them when I bought the truck was not so easy though :mad:. Apparently the PO never heard of never seize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave110 said:

Apparently the PO never heard of never seize.

Been nice had Dodge knew about anti sieze. I gave every thing up front a good coat of anti sieze the first time I got mine apart. Had to use a small thermo nuclear device to get them off.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

 

My last trip on wheel bearings my air chisel tool did NOT work at all. I spent over 4 hours with a very larger hammer getting the driver side bearing out of the knuckle. Make sure to anti-seize the bearing hole and use a hone tool or similar to clean the hole up. The bearing should fit true but not sloppy loose. 

 

I used two impact sockets and impact extensions while holding them, and had my brother turn the steering wheel. I did it in cross cross pattern and they came out in about 5 mins. engine not running. Just nice and quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup its known secret. Work smarter not harder. 

No beating involved. Ok I did learn on the second bearing

The first one I cried alot attempting to remove with a sledge hammer.  Wtf is holding this on I kept asking myself.

Edited by Evan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

 

I used two impact sockets and impact extensions while holding them, and had my brother turn the steering wheel. I did it in cross cross pattern and they came out in about 5 mins. engine not running. Just nice and quick.

This is by far the best trick...except I cranked the motor and let the power steering do the work.  I didn't even get in the truck...just stood next to it and reached in with one hand to bump the wheel.  My brother is completely worthless so I did it all myself.  I changed to the freespin lockable hubs so I'll never have to do it again... :woot:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...