• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smoking on acceleration

Josh lail

Hay guys first time posting so I hope I’m doing it right anyways I have a 2005 2500 5.9 Cummins I purchased a few months back truck is extremely clean and all stock it had 169k on it and has a lot of service records with it currently has 172k on it anyway my problem was it was smoking bad when taking off from a stop and had injector tick. so I installed a brand new set of Bosch injectors not remanufactured thay are brand new and brand new Bosch connecting tubes and adjusted the valves that fixed  the injector tick but still smokes not as bad but I can still see it at night in the headlights of cars behind me  it’s worse when pulling a loaded trailer it’s stock except 4” exhaust  I bought a smarty jr and used the 40hp mileage tune and it was really bad so I removed it and put it back stock any input would be greatly appreciated 

I would suspect a boost leak. You can make a cap to fit the intake of the turbo with an air fitting. then put 10 or so pounds of air to it. You maybe able to hear it if not use some soapy water to spray all the joints in the pipe. Spray the intake plenum and joint on turbo. Then just look for air bubbles.It is a fairly simple test to confirm a leak or eliminate it as the problem. Do you have a boost gauge?

Also welcome from just down the road.

• Owner
10 hours ago, Josh lail said:

has a lot of service records with it currently has 172k

I've gotta ask have you changed injectors at all? 172k miles is long ways for stock injectors. Typically CR injectors are coming to the end of the life by 100k to 150k miles. 

10 hours ago, Josh lail said:

my problem was it was smoking bad when taking off from a stop and had injector tick.

This would be my first thought. I would pull 6 injectors and have them bench tested. 

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've gotta ask have you changed injectors at all? 172k miles is long ways for stock injectors. Typically CR injectors are coming to the end of the life by 100k to 150k miles. 

This would be my first thought. I would pull 6 injectors and have them bench tested. 

He did install brand new Bosch injectors per the original post.

18 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Doesn't mean the injectors are still good. Could of dropped pop pressure, bad nozzle, bad pintle, etc. Injector seated poorly. Smoke is typically weak spray (large droplets).

There is no pop pressure, it's a common rail. Being that the problem existed before and after an injector change, I'm with @dripley, I'd check for a boost leak next. 

What kind of EGT's while towing / not towing?

• 1 month later...