• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mechman alternator

My stock alternator is finally starting to go south and i have been looking at replacing it with a higher amp part. Anyone have any 1st hand experience with the Mechman 320 amp alternators? Its expensive at $500 with a 2 year warranty. They have a 240 amp alt for $400 but with my stereo and all the other electric crap I've added the 320 fits my needs better. 

I've heard mixed reviews, but even the ones that were mixed said good things.  The biggest thing is to not allow the bad ground issues to dry the diodes. 

Although for the price you can get a good sized semi truck alternator as well. 

• Thanks 1

@IBMobile had not seen that but have looked at DC power, PowerBastards, Mechman and a few others. Got the grid heater delete wired up yesterday. That worked perfect this a.m., temp was 51, truck fired right up and actually charged on my drive to the main road. Hoping to get past Christmas before I have to replace the alternator and think that will probably help.

2 hours ago, Gregturley said:

@IBMobile had not seen that but have looked at DC power, PowerBastards, Mechman and a few others. Got the grid heater delete wired up yesterday. That worked perfect this a.m., temp was 51, truck fired right up and actually charged on my drive to the main road. Hoping to get past Christmas before I have to replace the alternator and think that will probably help.

How are your batter cables? I had to change mine after the drivers side failed a vDrop test on the drivers battery. It was causing the alternator issues I had. 

I've had no issues with starting down into the 30's with my truck.

@pepsi71ocean Cables are good. I have done the W-T mod, made a new cable from alt to PS battery, added ground from alternator to PS battery, ground cable between the batteries, new cable from DS battery to fuse block. All new cables are 2 gauge.  Will be replacing positive wire between batteries with 2/0 cable soon, needed to get a couple cable lugs, got those today. The factory one checks good, looks good but i have the 2/0 in the garage so I'll use it. All lugs are crimped and soldered. Using military style battery terminals.