• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Speedometer jumping

13 hours ago, William Smith said:

Has anyone had trouble with their abs module?  What are the symptoms? 

Mine started out doing what yours does. It first started out acting up when I was towing  heavy on a hot day and climbing long grades. It was related to hot under hood temps. After I topped out and cruised on the level it would work fine again, until the next hill.

At first I thought it was the rear axle sensor, that climbing, it raised the temp and then cooled off on the level. So I changed it, no help at all. I don't remember how I determined it was the module, I think I guessed:) Anyway, I bought a used one off E-Bay and it fixed the issue, that was several years ago. It is vehicle and 2 or 4 wheel abs specific.

It did act up one time this year. I was towing heavy out of Phoenix this past summer @ 115*. The long grade out of Superior, 5 miles of 7%, water temp at 219, it quit for a bit, but just this one time.  

Edited by NIsaacs

I've had abs/brake light come on when hot out or if I drove for a while for few years now like 5-6 Mabel more. I'm starting to think it all began when I had surging problem, like engine would start cutting out on steady speeds on hwy 65 or so. Though it was vp, but thanks to good people here I got talked out of changing it. Between new injectors and rebuilding alternator, surging went away. I'm thinking it had time to damage abs module. I have a spear one I'm going to put on and try. I also changed rear sensor and front sensors, then front hubs with new sensors again, same issue. Using snap on, it's saying front left sensor is randomly dropping signal. Having hard time believing that both old and new wheel bearings are junk. Last month I went to Canada Trip fishing and back, every time we filled up with fuel I check temperature and they were cool, even to the touch. So next step for me is ABS module if it doesn't fix it I'll be changing front left bearing again.

Btw driving truck to work today didn't set abs/brake light on, it's 35f out, if it was summer temps I'd have it come within minutes of leaving. It's 70 miles one way. 

Hope you figure out your issue. Let us know. 

Verify that the wiring going from the abs to the rear diff is good. 

I used a paper clip to jump the rear sensor plug, then used a multimeter to ohm from the ABS.   I was getting high resistence.

In my case the issue was the junction behind the front drivers tire.   It is tucked up in that area and can get beat up with road stuff causing the wiring to degrade.