• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone use any oil drain valves in place of the drain plug

I just got done changing the oil in my truck.  This is the first time I changed the oil myself.  I used Goofy-Lube the last 2 times (I know, I know, WHY would you do that...).  When I went to take the drain plug out I noticed 2 issues, one,  the square spot where you put you're 3/8th inch socket wrench was partially stripped (Goofy-Lube) and two, the plug was so tight I had to get a cheater bar to break it loose (I won't be going to Goofy-Lube anymore).  

My question is if anyone uses any of the drain valves in place of the drain plug.  I saw some for sale on Geno's Garage like this one and this one.

Just not sure how safe it is having something like that hanging down off the bottom of the drain pan.

Any thoughts or experiences with them?

Edited by hdpwipmonkey

• Staff

I drive over sticks and grassland.... different things so I don't want the worry of a quick easy drain down there. I ordered new drain plugs from Genos for both my 2nd gens and like the bigger socket I can use. Your right about staying away from the oil change goof balls. I've been changing my own oil ever since I was 16 and still don't mind doing it.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

I used one on my previous truck with no problems...definitely made it easier.  The one I used didn't resemble either one you listed though.  It was a setup similar to a valve on a tire stem (push to release).  It had a separate fitting with a hose that screwed onto the pan fitting that released the valve.  A little more tamperproof than the ones you listed.  All my trucks have always been lifted so I never had any problems with ground clearance.

On this truck I replaced the OE drain plug with an aftermarket that has a separate gasket and a hex head on it for easier removal.  I also replace the gasket periodically. 

39 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I drive over sticks and grassland.... different things so I don't want the worry of a quick easy drain down there. I ordered new drain plugs from Genos for both my 2nd gens and like the bigger socket I can use instead. Your right about staying away from those goof balls and doing it yourself. I have been changing my own oil ever since I was 16 and still enjoy doing a good job of it and not having a hoser doing it.

I don't usually go off-road with my truck, at least not yet.  I'd be more worried about something kicking up and hitting the valve but with it needing 2 movements to open the valve I'm not sure how easy it would unintentionally open.

I usually always change all of my own oil except on my wife's rubicon because we have it covered from the stealership :spend:and on my truck because I didn't have a catch pan big enough for 3 gallons of oil (until today).  From now own I'll be doing it myself.  Both times I had it done at Valvoline they "forgot" to lube the truck at all. :doh: The last time I pulled it out and stopped in their parking lot and checked and then pulled back around and pulled it back in and made them do it.  I honestly don't know where they get some of these guys at... :shrug:

39 minutes ago, Bullet said:

I used one on my previous truck with no problems...definitely made it easier.  The one I used didn't resemble either one you listed though.  It was a setup similar to a valve on a tire stem (push to release).  It had a separate fitting with a hose that screwed onto the pan fitting that released the valve.  A little more tamperproof than the ones you listed.  All my trucks have always been lifted so I never had any problems with ground clearance.

On this truck I replaced the OE drain plug with an aftermarket that has a separate gasket and a hex head on it for easier removal.  I also replace the gasket periodically. 

I saw one similar to that on Geno's site too (here) but in the video it didn't look like it drained as fast as the others I linked.  I did like that it was a little lower profile then the others though.

1 minute ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

I saw one similar to that on Geno's site too (here) but in the video it didn't look like it drained as fast as the others I linked.  I did like that it was a little lower profile then the others though.

Yep...that's the one I had.  Your assumptions are right on the money...it did drain a little slow.  It did however give me enough time to drink another beer while it was draining. :party:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Volvo earthmoving equipment use a nice oil drain that uses a drain adaptor to open the valve but they also use a cap which is screwed back onto the fitting for added insurance, I'd say it may be too big for the Cummins sump thread though

Cat use a small tap which really does look wrong but in 40 years I've never seen one leak or come undone

• Like 1

I had strongly considered one of those with the green hose.  I'm still on the fence as to whether I should change my oil pan due to damage, and the new pans have an 18mm drain vs. the 22mm we all know and love.  Until I finally make up my mind on the matter, I won't be buying a drain.  I'm also not sure I can justify the $50 cost when I only change the oil a couple of times per year!

46 minutes ago, Leaky88 said:

At what intervals should the drain plug gasket be changed?

Thanks Leaky

I don't know what interval is recommended for an aftermarket but I change my gasket every other oil change.  The oem plug doesn't have a replaceable gasket if I remember correctly...it's built in to the plug. 

I have used both of those, the ez and fumoto. I put them on all my trucks and they are well worth it to me. I have a fumoto on my current 98 and I also put one on my girl friends jeep. The fumoto I got for her came with a little lever clip, for her piece of mind, but ive also used a small hose clamp where the lever is in the past.

8 hours ago, Bullet said:

I don't know what interval is recommended for an aftermarket but I change my gasket every other oil change.  The oem plug doesn't have a replaceable gasket if I remember correctly...it's built in to the plug. 

That is what I-was thinking also. Aftermarket is all readily found. 

I have entertained getting the quick change set up but also fear some one draining it just for spite.  Thanks Leaky

• Like 1