• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ode to the leak

Been driving around for the past couple months or more with a boost leak. Got a couple weeks off between and dug into it. Put my test cap on and got the soapy water out. Found a good size leak on the upper clamp on the i take horn. No problem just tightened the clamp up. Start hosing the other and nothing. Started spraying the intake cover on the head and when the soapy water hit around #4 it looked like Lawrence Welk has having a bubble party. What I hoped was going to be a 1 hour fix went out the window. I look down between the head and the plate on the intake and I can see the gasket pushed out. Took everything off and find this.

20191028_160118.jpg.b68ba5f418be73b74938f090b4afb2e7.jpg

Looks like the gasket seperated. Which after getting it off it appears thats what happened. 

20191028_161350.jpg.b5d6706118b04ccfc620b5a0338e1f57.jpg

The bolts in that area were tight but not as tight as I feel I left them after the head gasket install. So maybe install error on my part. Though as I remember the gasket appeared fairly thick when I put it on. I was able to seperate it somewhat but it still appeared to be made that way. This gasket was from the Cummins gasket set I bought for the HG replacement several months back. Did not have the Cummins name on the gasket.

Lucky for me I have a extra one from a Fel Pro gasket set I bought a good while back. I pull it out and it is the same brand as the one from the Cummins get. Though it is dark tan and not red. It is also not quite as thick as the Cummins one though. They both have the name inter face on them. So I will keep my fingers crossed this one holds.

Set your waste gate to 10 psi and then you won't have worry about pushing out the gasket again.  Plus, you will have less wear and tear on your truck and you would never have to worry about towing in sixth gear.

Ok, seriously now, could you hear the boost leak when you were under load?  Or, did the truck just seem under powered?

- John

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

Set your waste gate to 10 psi and then you won't have worry about pushing out the gasket again.  Plus, you will have less wear and tear on your truck and you would never have to worry about towing in sixth gear.

- John

You had me going pretty good there.

4 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

Ok, seriously now, could you hear the boost leak when you were under load?  Or, did the truck just seem under powered?

- John

I did notice a drop in power and more smoke than normal. Thats when I noticed my boost would not go over 20 psi. 30 plus was pretty normal before. So I figured it had to be a boost leak. Took it for a test spin on the surface streets and was about 25 psi but it was on secondary roads so I did not push hard. Much less smoke also, cleared up fairly quick. Still have some haze though. If my ears were better I could of heard that leak. 18 years in the Cummins has taken their toll, my line of work does not help either.

I personally have no issue with Felpro gaskets, but I think it's a matter of opinion, you'll likely see people swaying in both directions. I did see a video on YouTube once of someone comparing a Felpro vs Cummins head gasket, and they were eerily similar. 

I dont know about the pro series. This the box it came in.

20191106_174123.jpg.600390b4701a6a826d9ea5af7f21ac8e.jpg

Part #MS 95087. This one had a wide spot on it that goes under where the fuel pump mounts, just like the one in the parts look up tool. The one in Cummins set did not. Since this set did not have the wide spot and the seals were the top hat variety, it makes me believe my gasket was for a 3rd gen and not a 2nd. The intake failed on the opposite side as the flat spot howevere. Not sure what the wide spot is there for. There is no wider spot on the head.

4 hours ago, Evan said:

Sweet. I dont get off in time to go to Cummins for parts anyways 

Cummins part department here is open 24/7  for a head gasket I would only use Cummins for everything else felpro is probably good. I never had issues with them. victor reinz was good too, haven't used them lately. 

I have to say I am happy with the repair. Smoke is greatly diminished and my mileage is back. Got to do a good highway run and I am back to 19.5 at speed. 75 mph that is. This is after seeing 17 to 17.5 mpg with the leak. But on a different note while coming back from the Charleston SC last weekend I blew a heater hose. First look under the hood made me think the head gasket let go and all the other bad thoughts that just come to mind after a big repair. But fortunately is was just a heater hose. Is 18 years to long to ask a hose to last?

• Like 1