• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

99 Oil Capacity

Hi,

Dodge Manual states: 8Qts. to Lower Safe Mark 10 Qts. To Upper Safe Mark.

Using ESN I looked up my Dip Stick number 3935648 and it jibes.  It also showed 10Qts of oil. 

I change my oil as follows:

I bring Engine to operating TEMP

Pull it into shop with a Level Cement Floor at end of day.

Place pan.

Remove Drain Plug

Let drain all night.

The next day:

I replace drain plug.

Prime and Change Filter

Replenish Oil.

Problem/concern: I am only able to put just shy of 9.5 Qts in total, back into the Engine to bring it to the UPPER Safe Mark. 

Ive driven truck several miles, and it’s still at the UPPER Safe Mark.

The oil pressure is good.

Ive heard that some 5.9’s take as much as 12 Qts.

According to TDR, there were some inaccurate Oil Level Gauges (aka Dip Sticks) fielded, but my 3935648 is not it.  At least

to my knowledge and research, it’s not.

For me, too much oil is just as bad as not having enough. 

If anyone reading this has a 99, or input, I’d appreciate your feedback. 

Id also like to know what the part number is on the Dip Stick.

Thanks

Leaky.

• Like 1

I just changed the oil in my truck last week or so and when I looked it up it said it took 12 qts.  I bought 3 gallons of Shell Rotella and when I refilled the oil I put 2 and a half gallons in and it read full so I started it and let it run for a little while while checking for leaks then shut it down and then I had to put about another quart in to get it in the middle of the safe zone on the stick. 

I'll get you the part number of the stick tomorrow.  

I called Cummins yesterday to inquire.  Once they found out it was a Dodge PU the person was quick to point me to Dodge stating: “Dodge has their “own” specifications.”  I thought it was a far question, but you would have thought I was asking the lady to confirm or deny if Bill inhaled or not.

i

OK.  I’ll start a score card and roll with tally.  I at least get answers on this a Forum. 

hdpwipmokey- 11 Qts.

Moparman - 11 Qts.

• Staff
27 minutes ago, dripley said:

11 quarts on my 02. Dont forget yourself @Leaky88, you told me your manual said 10. 

One Dipstick number is  3dripley462

92 12 valve= 11 qts. total

01 24 valve= 11 qts. total

02 24 valve= 11 qts. total

My 01 has an added extension riveted to the end.

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 2

Poor dripley...the butt of a joke once again.  But it was a good one though.  On my 02 I dump the full 3 gallons in every time and it reads perfect on the 'dripstick'.  I don't know if having the extra turbo makes a difference or not. 

• Thanks 1

• Staff

Anyone out there with a 99 that can get the part number off the dipstick for Leaky88? Thank you

Dripley uses his for skewing hotdogs over the fire at the jobsite. He also uses it as a hotdog launcher for the guys working up on the roof.

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 2

I have hauled up the White Flag.

The Dip Stick #3935648 is correct one for my 99 Engine. It’s same # hdpwimoney has on his 99 year model and the markings on his jibe with mine. But mine indicates  Full(upper Safe Mark) with a little less than 9.5 Qts whereas his level  lands within SAFE zone marks.

I now have a TOTAL of 11 Qts in the Engine now.

11 Qts. brings the reading on my trucks dipstick past the UPPER Safe Mark a distance EXACTLY equal to the distance between the manufacturers Lower and Upper Safe marks on the Dip Stick.  So, I scribed a new line on the Dip Stick.  

It appears you cannot even trust a dipstick reading anymore.  

Maybe the dip stick tube on mine is different/wrong.  Who knows?

I found a 2001 article on TDR where a guy with handle “ juicecummins” had this same issue.  

Thanks

Leaky

13 hours ago, Bullet said:

Poor dripley...the butt of a joke once again.  But it was a good one though. 

It was a good one, but his time will come. I am patient. 

the part number on my dip stick is 39737748, dip stick with oring. Googled that and anything but a dip stick shows up. The part # look up tool lists it as 05080582AA. Google that and many dip stick offerings comes up. Not sure what the number on the stick is.

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Dripley uses his for skewing hotdogs over the fire at the jobsite. He also uses it as a hotdog launcher for the guys working up on the roof.

I find it handy for flinging them to the pecker woods in the trees too. 

• Haha 3

• Staff
11 hours ago, Leaky88 said:

No problem.  I’m just eager to move on to the next jackpot with this truck. :)

Hang in there both mine haven't misbehaved much lately so I've been looking for trouble :shifty: on weekends.

Then if I can't find any I come in and make trouble for Dripley.....:)

Edited by JAG1

Of all the vehicles I've owned/currently own, this 02 Cummins has been bullet proof in comparison.  I still don't know how to change out a VP44 cuz I haven't had to.  Even the Dodge part of it hasn't been too bad considering my mileage.

If you really want to hit the jackpot continuously...buy a BMW X5 or any newer Mercedes and then you will experience more jackpots than you will ever know to be possible.  You will feel like you have won the lottery at least once a week. :spend:

The drip stick advices alittle over full  to compensate for drips.  More drips require different levels on the drip stick. Also advises not to park on nice driveways 

Just did the math bought 170k on my 2nd injection pump. Factory pump went to 150

Edited by Evan
  • Thanks 1