• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Control fuse keeps blowing

Gen light came on a few days ago so I pulled my alternator and it tested bad.  I replaced it with a cheap reman and it still wasn't charging.  Today I notice that the 30A engine control fuse was blown so I replaced that and started the truck.  Bingo!  Everything was charging as it should.  I took the truck for a victory lap around the neighborhood and the fuse blew again.  Popped another fuse it to see if it was a fluke and it popped too.

Recently I have installed HID headlights, but don't believe those are the problem because everything worked fine for a week or so... on the same day as the headlights, I also installed a new bumper.  There were a couple of ground cables connected to the old bumper bracket that I moved to a spot on the body (new bumper didn't have a good location).  

I figure I am dealing with a short somewhere or a bad PCM?

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

Thanks!  If I am reading it correctly, it looks like the only thing that it affects is the PCM/ECM which regulates voltage to the alternator... and that's pretty much it on the 12v (on a 5 speed anyway).

This confirms my initial assessment.  If I install an external voltage regulator, it should remedy the issue, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the replies.  I am still chasing down this issue but will definitely update when it is resolved.  

wil440, you are correct, I need to find a better location to ground than the body.  I will try that out.  Aside from that, I have all new battery cables and connectors to put on sometime this week (the old ones are stock and in pretty poor condition).  I am hoping that one of these will do the trick.

I tried a different ASD relay and that didn't make any difference.