• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Window auto function quit working

The auto down function for my driver side window quit working today.  It still rolls down if I hold the switch though.  Is there a relay I can check or is it the switch that goes bad?  I know it's trivial, but I like hitting the auto function so the window can roll down while I put my seat belt on.  It's the little things.  :)

• Staff

I think you need a new switch,  read this.

OPERATION The power window switch for the driver side front door has an Auto label on it. This switch has a second detent position beyond the normal Down position that provides an automatic one-touch window down feature. This feature is controlled by an electronic circuit and a relay that are integral to the driver side front door power window and lock switch unit. The power window switches control the battery and ground feeds to the power window motors. The passenger side power window switch receives a ground feed through the driver side power window switch for operating the passenger side power window motor. The power window and lock switch and bezel unit cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, the entire switch and bezel unit must be replaced.

• Like 2

My 98.5 had both window switches not working when I got it, It hasn't got auto down which for me is ok but I did fix both my switches, IIRC I managed to cut a small strip off of a nail filing board and get the contacts cleaned off, it was fiddly but been ok since, don't know if 01 has similar switches though ?

• Like 1

• Staff
13 hours ago, wil440 said:

get the contacts cleaned off

I've done that on the 2000 and older Volvo window switches.  I used strips of 400 grit paper to clean the carbon off the contacts but the coating on them had gone bad so the switches would fail again in 6-12 months, depending on number of uses. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 7:04 AM, wil440 said:

I did fix both my switches . . . I managed to cut a small strip off of a nail filing board and get the contacts cleaned off, it was fiddly but been ok since, don't know if 01 has similar switches though ?

Have done this also on my '02 . . . . carefully take the switch apart and clean the contacts.  The last time this was done, I used a couple layers of paper towel wet'd down with brake cleaner.  It takes about 10 minutes from start of job to finish.  Easy job.

My switch started working again 2 days before I had to install my mirrors but I already had the new switch.  Unfortunately the new switch didn't work so I cleaned the old one and put it back in for now.  I am going to need new door panels so hopefully the switch lasts a little while until I find some and then I'll try and replace it again.