• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sycostang67

Window auto function quit working

The auto down function for my driver side window quit working today.  It still rolls down if I hold the switch though.  Is there a relay I can check or is it the switch that goes bad?  I know it's trivial, but I like hitting the auto function so the window can roll down while I put my seat belt on.  It's the little things.  :)

I think you need a new switch,  read this.

OPERATION The power window switch for the driver side front door has an Auto label on it. This switch has a second detent position beyond the normal Down position that provides an automatic one-touch window down feature. This feature is controlled by an electronic circuit and a relay that are integral to the driver side front door power window and lock switch unit. The power window switches control the battery and ground feeds to the power window motors. The passenger side power window switch receives a ground feed through the driver side power window switch for operating the passenger side power window motor. The power window and lock switch and bezel unit cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, the entire switch and bezel unit must be replaced.

• Like 2

My 98.5 had both window switches not working when I got it, It hasn't got auto down which for me is ok but I did fix both my switches, IIRC I managed to cut a small strip off of a nail filing board and get the contacts cleaned off, it was fiddly but been ok since, don't know if 01 has similar switches though ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wil440 said:

get the contacts cleaned off

I've done that on the 2000 and older Volvo window switches.  I used strips of 400 grit paper to clean the carbon off the contacts but the coating on them had gone bad so the switches would fail again in 6-12 months, depending on number of uses. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 7:04 AM, wil440 said:

I did fix both my switches . . . I managed to cut a small strip off of a nail filing board and get the contacts cleaned off, it was fiddly but been ok since, don't know if 01 has similar switches though ?

Have done this also on my '02 . . . . carefully take the switch apart and clean the contacts.  The last time this was done, I used a couple layers of paper towel wet'd down with brake cleaner.  It takes about 10 minutes from start of job to finish.  Easy job.