• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Torque converter lockup

Hey fellas new here. I’ve got a 2000 24valve vp truck and the trans has been rebuilt. Receipt says reman billet converter. From time to time I have lock/unlock issues pretty sure it’s the alternator wire. Problem now is the truck is easing into lockup, shuttering, rpms just fluctuating at lockup. But it only does it under moderate to heavy throttle but converter locks up fine under full throttle. Doesn’t matter if comp box is off or on level 5. So is this converter issues, valve body issues, voltage problem or what?

Well it does say it was only 600 dollars but it locks up fine at full throttle. So I was wondering if it was pressure related. I’m not sure about under heavy load because I’ve been trying not to pull anything with it.  I just don’t wanna buy a converter and have the same problems

Adjusting bands and making sure TV cable is set so wide open shifts happen around 2800-3000 couldn't hurt anything

Before I spent any money on fluid I'd like to see pressure near 100psi at wide open throttle.

If pressure is good I'd most likely ditch +4 fluid for tractor transmission fluid. The cheap stuff from Walmart in a 5 gal bucket.

Drop pan adjust bands check accumulator spring install new filter. Bump pressure up alittle 

Drive and fo from there

ATS and BD both have good instructions on tuning and adjusting the 47re.

I'd recommend reading them one or both before doing anything.

When I have time I'll look them up and post here.

transgo also has some ancient old school but informative videos on youtube

If you have a single disc converter (which, at $600, you do...), I would not run anything but ATF+4 in it. you'll need the friction modifier to control converter clutch chatter.

I don't recommend running anything but Automatic Transmission Fluid in an automatic transmission.

• Like 2

I'd definitely follow dynamics recomendation.

Just noticed you have some decent power mods. Injectors and box probly puts you in the 350+ neighborhood..

If tranny is just basically stock it may not be up to the task..

Do some reading learning on the 47re and make sure your getting the most from what you have.  

Yea I’m not sure of any of the mods on trans it shifts firm but the guy I bought it from couldn’t tell me what was done to it. It’s making about 40 pounds of boost so I think someone has worked on the turbo also I was guessing around 400hp.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, My wife and I moved an hour and a half from my home town, and  on the three trips it took to move our stuff, the TC unlocked, and I'm not exaggerating, probably over 1000 times each way. I finally had enough and stopped at Tranco transmissions in Port Angeles, the guy in there had a list of all the things it could be, as in a list of 20 things related to this issue.  He said that they had dozens of our trucks in over the years and the one thing that fixed 98% of the TC unlock was a simple ground wire added, t-tapped off of the ground that goes to the TPS.  It was the easiest and cheapest place to start.  Well let me cut to the chase, the problem is GONE!!!  In the past three months of driving back and forth the hour and a half, not a single incident of the TC unlocking!

Now all of that being said, about 3 weeks ago, my transmission decided to take a dump and I had to get it completely rebuilt.  I'm sure the last 3 or 4000 unlocks didn't help as it was really beating the transmission up pretty hard.  So $3500 later with a basically brand new transmission and an upgraded billet TC, and all new electronics, the truck is like brand new.  I have owned this truck for 18 years and it has never shifted up and down like this!  I even have back pressure going down hill simply by touching the gas pedal.  This is crazy!  Anyway, just wanted to give an update.  

• Like 1