• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

You Folks Have Your Firewood In?

JAG1

• Staff

Bone chill cold is coming soon from Idaho all the way to the East coast. Supposed to be very unusual cold with temps 15 to 30 degrees below normal.

Check your block heaters working and the cord is good size and in good shape. Lots a times those electrical wall plugs wear out and make for a bad connection. Remember using the Grid heaters all the time can compromise the alternator diodes.

Get your RV or your boat fully winterized if you haven't yet.

Edited by JAG1

I still have a long way to go.. :kick:

got maybe 4 cords so far, 3 more to go, so far we been enjoying a nice Indian summer, bad thing is we haven’t had any measurable precipitation in 5 months, still out cutting wood in my T shirt, It literally 65degree for the high, Then in the teens at night.  Crazy weather 

39A22406-CD60-4F8F-A527-21CF11FCBDA9.jpeg

• Staff
2 hours ago, IBMobile said:

What is this "Bone chill cold" you speak of?  That is a foreign term to us in the San Diego area.

My block heater has never been used.  I only turn my grid heaters on when camping in the fall at the Sierra Nevada Mountains and I use my boat and RV year round.  1521867086_animated-smileys-holidays-water-0021.gif.3403b78ab8e0ab118b8a12ae8c568fd2.gif

This isn't about you IBMobile. You stock up on sun tan lotion to get ready for winter. :) :nadkick:

32 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

I still have a long way to go.. :kick:

got maybe 4 cords so far, 3 more to go, so far we been enjoying a nice Indian summer, bad thing is we haven’t had any measurable precipitation in 5 months, still out cutting wood in my T shirt, It literally 65degree for the high, Then in the teens at night.  Crazy weather 

39A22406-CD60-4F8F-A527-21CF11FCBDA9.jpeg

Watch it doesn't come with a vengeance, all this tricky weather can fool many folks with little in their woodshed. 

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

I hope he gets it ready for you real soon. That is a good trade since he gets a warm truck and you get enough to heat the house.:thumb1:

I cannot wait to be free from my work for about 6 months, it's coming real soon, and I get to do whatever I want. You can do my heater core, evaporator, blower and heater treater to the blend door and all new foam gaskets this spring.

It's going to be 0 in the morning, that's kinda unusual for early November in Iowa, but I'm sure it happened few times before. 

More and more stations are selling biodiesel 5 to 20% , no one knows exactly what's in it. Suppose to be 5% in winter but good luck trying to confirm it with any store managers around here, all they can say is our fuel is winterized. Some pumps say it good to negative 10 but somehow you see trucks on the side of the road before it gets to zero, be interesting on the way to work in the morning. 

• Staff
9 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

It's going to be 0 in the morning, that's kinda unusual for early November in Iowa, but I'm sure it happened few times before. 

More and more stations are selling biodiesel 5 to 20% , no one knows exactly what's in it. Suppose to be 5% in winter but good luck trying to confirm it with any store managers around here, all they can say is our fuel is winterized. Some pumps say it good to negative 10 but somehow you see trucks on the side of the road before it gets to zero, be interesting on the way to work in the morning. 

I hope you make it okay. Not only is an engine block heater a good thing..... Also be nice to have some sort of fuel tank warmer. Get that on the market and watch the sales come in.

8 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I hope you make it okay. Not only is an engine block heater a good thing..... Also be nice to have some sort of fuel tank warmer. Get that on the market and watch the sales come in.

Thanks, made it just fine. Left some fuel in a jug outside, it looked good not cloudy. I think we're a bit late for tank warmers party, pretty sure it's all out there. But we can surly start another debate :whistle2:

• Staff
4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Thanks, made it just fine. Left some fuel in a jug outside, it looked good not cloudy. I think we're a bit late for tank warmers party, pretty sure it's all out there. But we can surly start another debate :whistle2:

IBMobile probly has a tank warmer picture.

Dieselfuture, how colds it getting around your place? We have it real good with the influence from the left coast. I saw minus 4 once in my town. That was a record and was the coldest I ever been in back in 1985.

Edited by JAG1

8 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

IBMobile probly has a tank warmer picture.

Dieselfuture, how colds it getting around your place? We have it real good with the influence from the left coast. I saw minus 4 once in my town. That was a record and was the coldest I ever been in back in 1985.

It was -2 f on the way to work, we had it in -30s before few years back. Just not in November 

• Staff
10 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

It was -2 f on the way to work, we had it in -30s before few years back. Just not in November 

A jar of fuel outside makes a good fuel temp gauge :thumb1:..... Have you ever put an insulated jar next to it?  Like plumbing insulation that snaps on over the fuel lines to see if it makes any difference?

I've often thought about running the lines and lift pump inside a pipe so when there is a problem you take the wifes hair dryer to it. Blowing in one end. Then you have to figure a way to run exhaust heat in after it's started. That would be for extreme temps and the zip on pipe insulation may work well enough :shrug:. I know the commercial stuff is 3 times better than the hardware homemoaner stuff. :whistle2:

About the minus 30 temps...... I think Dripley's beak would break and fall off in that cold.:USflag:

Edited by JAG1

6 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Have you ever put an insulated jar next to it?  Like plumbing insulation that snaps on over the fuel lines to see if it makes any difference?

No, I don't think it would help, unless of course it had a heat source like you mentioned. My fass has 2 plugs into the base of it to run antifreeze through it, at least I heard someone talking about it. If it's jelled you're screwd anyway. I believe fass also sells Electric heaters that go in them same holes to get the pump worm, still if lines and filter is gelled you're screwd. Now in talking strictly leaving truck outside over night with temperatures cold enough to cause problems. If you park in the heated garage it shouldn't matter anymore as long as you don't shut it off. Fuel is always circulating, should be enough heat to keep from gelling. 

• Staff
On 11/13/2019 at 5:47 PM, dripley said:

Beakless huh?? Not sure FASS has a cure for that.

I used that word because I don't think anyone knows what you mean when you always say, 'pecker'. :gun:

On 11/16/2019 at 12:49 PM, dorkweed said:

I was lazy this year;  and put up almost no wood.  Good thing I was almost 3 years ahead on wood though.

You good man..... my wood is inside but not all split. I do have a 4x4x8 foot wood bin of mostly 2x4 scrap that is full because the cold that refuses to show up this november. Also..... hardly any rain, no wind, no storms, which by now should be a lot of them coming thru one after another. It's really very strange.

The wife and I are headed out this morning in the rain, sleet and light snow to get load # 4. Should give us about 6 cords by the time it’s all stacked and split. The forecast is calling for 10-20” in the next couple days. Might be my last trip up the mountain, probably going to have to buy the last load or two.

• Like 1

• Staff

Mopar73Man put extra blow in insulation in the attic, I bet he burns a cord or two less this year. I believe in that stuff, but you got to get the good stuff that is like white fiberglass cotton not the ground up newspaper stuff that;s bad.

I had a wealthy client blow in double the normal amount. I was swimmin' in that stuff just to find each truss so I would not go thru the ceiling. I had the new circuit wire in my teeth while feeling my way to the other end of the house where the electrical panel was. It rolled off the spool of wire just fine and I didn't loose any teeth. You know.... like Dripley he has no teeth in that beak.... anyway, I think he said his heat bill went way down in that huge house.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1