• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trouble with my Ram

19 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Full diagnostic documents for your codes. Corrected definitions.

Mopar1973Man thanks again for your help!! First of all I cant believe that both of our ideas are the problem?!?! You said fuel problem and I said turbo problem!!!! This is crazy!!! These explanations are not in plain enough English for me to comprehend fully!! lol. But from what I do understand is that I may need to replace Wastegate.(possibly complete Turbo)? And may have to replace Fuel Injection Pump?? Am I correct Sir?? Where do u suggest I start with this caos???? Thanks!! PS: What is DTC???? lol

• Owner

Wastegate could be rusted shut. Common problem for people in salt environments or don't work the truck hard once in awhile (WOT operation to work the wastegate) which is the P0234 code. Like my own truck it will typically see a few WOT operations per trip passing on the highway at just about 47 PSI of boost. 

P0216 code is the fuel pressure possibly, lack of fuel lubricity, poor filtration (excessive wear). The timing piston becomes damaged and the ECM calls for timing and the VP44 can't respond fast enough.  

32 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Wastegate could be rusted shut. Common problem for people in salt environments or don't work the truck hard once in awhile (WOT operation to work the wastegate) which is the P0234 code. Like my own truck it will typically see a few WOT operations per trip passing on the highway at just about 47 PSI of boost. 

P0216 code is the fuel pressure possibly, lack of fuel lubricity, poor filtration (excessive wear). The timing piston becomes damaged and the ECM calls for timing and the VP44 can't respond fast enough.  

Im sorry I really don't understand these explanations!! Could u please tell me where u think I should start with all this?? What is WOT?? Some of these abreviations I don't know what they meen?? Where is the TIMING PISTON located??VP44. Is that the FUEL INJECTION PUMP?? Is the timing piston inside the fuel injection pump?? Please don't give up on me!! I can turn wrenches and get the job done!!! I just need to know what to do and where to start!!!! PLEASE JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK I SHOULD DO TO GET STARTED!!! Like I say im having trouble understanding all this crazy lingo!! lmao. SHOULD I START BY TAKING THE TURBO OFF AND SEEING IF THE WASTEGATE IS STUCK?? OR SHOULD I GO AND GET A CAN OF INJECTOR CLEANER AND PUT IT IN THE GAS,TAKE TRUCK FOR A RIDE AND SEE IF THAT WORKS?? THANKS!!!!!!

• Owner
18 minutes ago, Timothy said:

What is WOT??

Ok... Dotted underlined words just hover with a mouse it will show the WOT definition. In this case (Wide Open Throttle) to force that engine to produce max boost for a period of time to exercise the wastegate arm.

Screenshot from 2019-11-23 08-17-52.png

18 minutes ago, Timothy said:

Where is the TIMING PISTON located??

Inside the injection pump and requires full replacement of the injection pump. I would suggest DAP for supplier for injection pump. Good prices and good service.

Basically in a nutshell you need a new injection pump. Then you would need to pull that turbo and see if you can free the wastegate. If not you'll need to upgrade the turbo.

Oh forgive me I'm a Ubuntu Linux laptop and don't use Windows.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Those 2 explanations that were SHORT AND SWEET WERE PERFECT!!!!!!!!!! ALL THAT CRAZY MECHANIC MUMBO JUMBO WOULD TAKE ME SCHOOLING TO LEARN!!!!!!!!! LMAO. I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THAT TODAY!!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

20 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Ok... Dotted underlined words just hover with a mouse it will show the WOT definition. In this case (Wide Open Throttle) to force that engine to produce max boost for a period of time to exercise the wastegate arm.

Inside the injection pump and requires full replacement of the injection pump. I would suggest DAP for supplier for injection pump. Good prices and good service.

Basically in a nutshell you need a new injection pump. Then you would need to pull that turbo and see if you can free the wastegate. If not you'll need to upgrade the turbo.

SORRY Here we go again with abbreviations!!!! lmao. DAP?????????? lol

Going out to Rip into Turbo!! lol Could someone send some warmer weather this way?? lol

• Thanks 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Mike, is there a possibility that the 0216 code could be from low fuel pressure, lack of TCW3 two stroke oil in the fuel and the injection pump would be okay for now if corrected?

Looks like Dave110 is part of the family now, since he goes huntin' and peckin' too. Mopar Man head Rooster.

Edited by JAG1

DAP is Diesel auto power. A good vendor here. 

@JAG1 got ahead of me bit, but I was going to suggest some 2 cycle oil also. A couple quarts in a full tank, it might help lube the timing piston buy you some time. The damage is pretty done though.

Definitely check that fuel pressure. If you are running a stock lift pump it could be toast also. Bad pressure from it will kill the VP/injection pump.

The 216 code is your biggest issue. The 234 overboost code is negligible. Once you exceed 20 psi or so fo boost the engine just defuels some to try and keep the boost. I drove mine like that for 3 or 4 years. It is a nuisance for sure but easier to live with than a completely failed VP. That you cant drive with.

Edited by dripley

On 11/23/2019 at 11:18 AM, JAG1 said:

Looks like Dave110 is part of the family now, since he goes huntin' and peckin' too. Mopar Man head Rooster.

No head rooster here. I'm just a little pecker :lmao2:Does this make me an official pecker head?

Edited by dave110

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Once you become one you can never go back. Dripley and IBMobile says it shows respect for Mopar1973Man and all the rest of us to not peck with your middle finger..... supposed to use the index finger.:lmao:

Oh Boy. Now you got to complicate  things. I'm not sure I can live up to the name.

I guess that's better than being a  sa.gif.71ee28e67c46e25af6522cc44aa83cf0.gif

like Dri[pley called me once :lmao:

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2019 at 7:04 PM, hdpwipmonkey said:

@TimothyGlad the OBD2 scanner worked for you.  Now you have some idea of what to fix.  They are definitely a good tool to have in your toolbox and they will work on any vehicle (1996 and newer).

Thanks again for everyones help!! Now I have the P0216 trouble code!! Im really hoping its not a bad injection pump!!! Code reader says the cause is DTC P0251,P0335, and P0370 are not set. Engine speed has not changed over 56rpm for 5 seconds. Then the PCM detected there was a 5 degree difference between Actual and Desired injector timing. Condition met for 2 seconds. I don't understand any of that!!!! Can someone please give me somewhere to start?? Like I have stated before. Truck starts fine but wont go more than 30mph for like 2 miles. Then everything changes and truck goes just fine!! Ideas PLEASE!!!!

The 216 code is timing failure in the pump. There is timing piston in the pump and sounds like it is hanging until the pump warms up and then gets free. You might get away with it for bit but sooner  or later it will fail. One day or a year, who knows.

Just went thru this on mine right before Thaksgiving. Same 216 code but mine began hard starting a couple weeks before. Then the idle starting acting up a little on Friday. Then on the drive back to work on Sunday the pump let go and spit the 216 code again.

Edited by dripley

• Owner

Basically the timing piston is galled up and no longer slides easy. P0216 code will be tossed. VP44 requires replacement.

P0215, P0216, P0251, P0252, P0253 and p0254 all require replacement of the injection pump. (VP44)

4 ways of killing the VP44...

1. Lack of fuel lubricity. Bosch requires fuel lubricity of 460 HFRR or less. US fuels are 520 HFRR and possibly greater. 2 Cycle oil has be proven for over 10 plus year to extend the life of VP44

2. Filtration. Stock filter is only 10 micron. Upgraded filters can be low as 3 micron.

3. Fuel pressure (14 to 20 PSI). Fuel pressure is what keeps cooling and lubrication going. Low fuel pressure can be just as bad as low oil pressure on the engine. Like myself I'm double stacked 3um on the AirDog and then 7um filter in the stock can.

4. AC Noise. AC noise from a bad alternator will cause damage to the PSG electronics of the VP44. Which is typically the P052x codes. Acceptable AC voltage is 50mV AC or less.

Now showing that I would be looking into all the above. W-T ground wire mod and alternator replacement, added 2 cycle oil, fuel pressure gauge (14 to 20 PSI), etc.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1