• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

power/fuel loss - dead pedal? seeking advice.

Having a strange issue that I'm trying to figure out and hoping one of you guys can help out?  Just joined here but been a member of the other place for years.  Anyway I've got the 2001 mentioned in my signature and I'm getting ready to take a 1200 mile trip on Friday, but having an issue with my truck that just started last week?  Basically I randomly experience a total power loss, but the engine doesn't die.  More like total loss off fuel or throttle control.  Fuel PSI has never been an issue and is the real reason I bought the iQuad.  Pump is tapped but rarely use it as I'm really just trying to run stock.  I've been running with "0" level for the past few months and this just started happening?  

I finally have pinned down when it's most likely to happen and was able to pull a data logged export which I've shared out via google sheets linked below.  Basically I can re-create the issue regularly if right after starting truck and take off.  within a few seconds lose throttle control and then kicks back in never to happen again as long as the truck is running???  Looking for advice here.  I do have an APPS TPS (TIMBO) on the way from Geno's as I ordered it yesterday based on some quick research, but no idea if this is a good place to "really start".  Hoping to get some other ideas here and really hoping it's not my pump!  Not throwing any visible codes, but don't have a code reader to plug into anything either.

Thoughts welcome.

Edited by deltaf508
clarification

On my way home from work tonight this happened. Tried to record a video to get a better idea of showing what's actually going on... it seemed to be driving fine until I pressed the cruise control Power on button.  Could not realistically trigger anything to start happening? Even when I turned Cruise off it continued to do this though.  Open to thoughts.

https://youtu.be/WW0HyrYIINk

Edited by deltaf508
Link correction

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay on this guys...I'm still needing help, but was able to get my other car working for the trip I needed to take.  Here are the codes I'm getting from the 3-key cycle:

P0743

P0500

P0753

P0720

P1765

So are I have replaced fuel filter (was due anyway and wanted to rule that out) and I did replace the APPS TPS just as precautionary as I had already ordered it.  But here's what I've come up with...this seems to happen right before shifting into 2nd and other other time I noticed this was in 4th as others have mentioned as well.  I'm really looking for a more educated idea of where to go next before I just take this into a shop somewhere and spend a bunch of money "diagnosing".  Likely I may not be able to work on it this time due to my schedule and where I'm currently living, but want to have an idea before I take it in somewhere, and keys over, and start spending more money.  

Thanks for any ideas!

• Staff

Try checking the connections at the PCM.  All of these codes have the PCM in common.   The transmission codes also have the connection on top of the transmission in common,  

For the P500 after checking at the PCM check the connection at the rear axle speed sensor and the connector for the cab at the outside fire wall , lower left. 

Awesome...thanks...I read PCM on my first google search also so have already tried re-seating the 3 32 pin block connectors a few times to clear away any corrosion that could have happened.  Think I'm good there.  I'll check out the speed sensor and the other connector (little confused on where you're meaning on this one though)?

Thanks again.

Thought I'd update this thread so I can give some closure.  Decided to replace the Transmission output speed sensor I think it is...anyway It was an easy one to start with.  I've driven 300+ miles on the truck with no symptoms yet so I'm hopeful that this is it.  It normally did it when it was getting ready to shift into second so that's why I started with this one.  Thanks for the helpful updates here...I'm hoping this takes care of it for a while.

One more question though - I've never cleared any codes (from the console).  Is there a need to do that and if so how?

Thanks again!