• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck noise changes

So as long as I remember my truck has always done this, but I noticed this week when it starts to do it. And I'm curious if this is normal for everyone else.

Start my truck in the morning and I jump on the freeway. The truck is still pretty cold, so I take it easy getting up to speed. As we all know, these truck rattle like crazy, but everyday, i hit a certain point driving into town where my trucks normal sound get quiet. It sounds smooth as can be all for about10 to 15 seconds, then immediately becomes rattling again.( those few seconds makes the truck sound amazingly smooth)

So as I am headed to spokane, it does this normal noise reduction again, and i just looked at the coolant temp, and it's quite a bit hotter than it normally is. So i watch it probably get to about 210, the truck gets loud again, and the coolant gauge drops back to 180 quickly, then doesnt do this again till next morning. Stays around 190 the rest of the drive like its suppose to.(I've changed the thermostat before, but the truck noise has always done this as long as I remember. )

What do you guys think? Is it a timing change that occurs? I'm not worried about it, but I am curious. Truck has yet to explode.

I have a video of it. It's hard to hear over my ridiculously loud fuel gauge, sorry, havent put a snubber on. But you'll hear it.

2 hours ago, Alexio Auditore said:

But besides that, I'm taking it that your truck doesnt do that audible noise change in the morning?

Honestly with temperature changes it does do weird things I just never pay much attention. Thing is I have a quad and Mike's fuller switch that I keep on summer temps/mpg mode so ecm is fooled most of time.

It's the abs light. The module keeps going out immediately after reinstalling despite having it repaired twice. 

Water pump was changed this summer too, and the previous summer before this one.(quality napa parts:thumb1:). Its a definite engine tone change. Only when its sat overnight or for a long while, and only does it as it hits operating temp for the first time. Kinda weird. My thought is a timing change, but just not sure why. No one else's does this huh?

I had at one point disconnected the EZ chip because of this very reason, but I dont recall it making a difference.. usually it only last maybe 15 seconds, then goes back to sounding rattly and pingy like normal. It's crazy how quite the motor sounds though when it's doing this. Sounds really good actually, like clean.

I'm not to worried about it, but it is interesting that it does this, and seems like not a common occurrence.  

1 hour ago, Evan said:

Engine light comes on with abs light?

Mone doesn't 

Abs light is yellow, red brake light is also on too.

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Try changing rear wheel sensor in pumpkin

Its 4 wheel abs, and the module is the thing that goes out, I have to disconnect it so it doesnt run the small motor continuously..whether the truck is on or off it continues running.

1 hour ago, Alexio Auditore said:

Its 4 wheel abs, and the module is the thing that goes out, I have to disconnect it so it doesnt run the small motor continuously..whether the truck is on or off it continues running.

It's 2 front and 1 rear abs. Yes the abs pump running is something wrong with it, probably a relay in board. Who fixed it for you.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

It's 2 front and 1 rear abs. Yes the abs pump running is something wrong with it, probably a relay in board. Who fixed it for you.

:doh: sorry, didnt know that. My dad's 99 I think only has rear wheel abs I think, thought that's what you meant.

I had module masters in moscow fix it..twice. same place mopar1973man had his fixed. They refunded me everything too since it kept failing. It worked for maybe 5min, then the lights came on and the motor kept running.

Wired, that's who just looked at mine too, I don't know if there was much wrong with it as it didn't cure my abs/brake light on off, but with their good reputation I figured I'd eliminate module as a problem and go from there. Then changer rear end sensor and lights turned off and haven't been back thank God.

Have you checked ac noise and I was told make sure your lift pump wire if you have an aftermarket one, isn't too close to module, it could create magnetic field and cause module problems.