• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weird idle

Had some weird things going on coming back from Atlanta last night. Stuck in slooow traffic thru down town the engine jumped in idle to a bit over 1000 rpm. It also started surging about 250 more rpm up down in an even pattern for about 10 seconds. Did it it again 3 or 4 times getting thru town. The temp gauge dropped out also. Matter of fact it would only do it while the temp was out. Not sure how they are related. This happened a few more times on the rest of the trip except very little surging but had the elevated idle. It also only did this at very low speed or idle.

Sitting at my sons work waiting on him so I can have a warm dry place to check it out. So I pulled out the old SG II, plug it up. Had a 234 which I believe was an old code I had not cleared out from a good while back. But then I read the other one, 216. Damn. After 270k maybe she is giving up the ghost. Its just the temp dropping out when does it does seems weird to me. 

I cleared both codes and they have not come back. It actually did it for a brief couple seconds while sitting here. That's when I broke out the SG.

4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I wish I could say more, but it sounds like you may be on the right track. 270k is not bad, be nice to get over 300 though. Could it be your splice by ecm.

Dont think so. Its been hard starting the past few days like it was loosing prime. Then it starting on the interstate and popped a 216 code and that was about it. The wrecker bill was only 99 bucks. Not bad for a Sunday night.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Looks like you'll have to do another vp before your retirement. Hopefully it'll be the last one,  but at the same time I want to say, I'd like to see you go through bunch more if you get what I mean. 

Driving more at my leisuure by then. But I get what you are saying.

• Like 1

The temp gauge dropping bothers me....

Isn't timing directly connected to engine temperature?  (just checked FSM.  Yes it is.)  Also the gauge display is buffered through the PCM and back to the actual gauge.    if you are getting squirrelly temp info to the ecm, I don't know how the truck responds.

image.png.c8567903de5d14fd5f17a3aa44277374.png

Notice if there is a LOSS of information the (message failure) the needle stays where it was.  It only goes to cold if there is a LOW temperature "seen". 

It is one of those "funny" areas.  yeah 216 normally means what we don't want to mention.  But with the coolant temp info swinging so fast, could the timing not respond fast enough? 

Hag

Mine would just peg on the low side pretty quick. It would then slowly climb with some wierd surging. Did it several times on Friday.  Justba couple of breif times on Sunday morning while on a short drive. Drove fine for about a 150miles Sunday pm on the way back to work. Then started loosing power with no boost very much like when my boost gauge was failing. Then the powermjust started fading until the engine would not run. Got to believe it is the VP with the reoccurrence ofmthe 216 code at the same time. I checked for codes several times while riding down Sunday and nothing until the power loss started and there it was.

Did you have the snap on with you?   I would seriously look for those funny voltages you get with the map sensor etc...

I agree the 216 is disheartening....  and could something going on in the controller board for the vp be pulling the other voltages down.

OMG....  which is the chicken and which is the egg and which came first?  You being the chicken man, please clarify this for us!!!!

Hag

• Haha 2

I had my scan gauge plugged in on the trip back down . I also hooked it up when I got home Friday. It surged some while in the driveway and the TPS registered no change but the temp never dropped. By the time it dropped on Sunday I was to busy trying not to get run over that I did not get to look at the scan gauge. By the time I got to look the engine was dead and it was to late.

The chicken and egg thing is above my pay grade. 

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

Think I will bring this back over here instead of spread out over 3 threads.

I pretty figure the pump is gone and ordered one from DAP. Asked for over night but something got screwed up and it ground and got here today. DAP is looking into it.

Tore it all down Tuesday afternoon except for removing the pump. I got a gear puller from them and it was with the new pump.

Got here about 2pm and I pulled the old one. Found a couple things I needed and fetched them. Of course there was one more thing I find need. One more trip to the hardware store. Installed the new only not to have it not seat properly. I can see the key and the key way and they appeared to be lined up but it wont seat to the timing case. I took it back out and sure enough the key had rotated back up on the shaft. Got the key back in the shaft right and she slipped right in this time. Mated right up to the gear as it should. But by then it was 7:30 and all the batteries I have for the spotlight are dead and my back is give out from hanging in  the engine bay. I will finish tomorrow.

Out with the old and in with the new.

20191127_172818.jpg.0592ecb84aaf459107f5e2bad856ff6a.jpg

I was kicking my self for not ordering new sealing washers for the return line but the pump came with them along with a new return line valve. 

Should just be the easy stuff tomorrow as long as the fuel ptimes up ok. Sitting a good bit nose up right now and be some extra priming needed. We shall see.

• Like 1

I am home. What a week. The only bad thing after the pump install is my MAP sensor failed. I think it failed when the pump went whacky on Sunday, but did not have a code. Any way drove it home under reduced power and will a new MAP in my hand tomorrow morning.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2