• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

More power = more money, nobody rides for free

I treated myself to a Quadzilla and 7x10 injectors, soon to realize head studs were next to be safe.  The shopping list grew again today so i figured it was time to get some help an try  to keep my cost managed with less surprises.  My list is Boost elbow, Boost fooler, a tablet for quad display, a fully adjustable wastegate for average of  $250.00,  it's a simple diaphragm that's missing the spring tension adjusting.screw  and a supply line fuel pressure sending unit an snubber. I'm not sure if i need another part  and i'm starting to lose some trust with the sales dept they kept my DAP t shirt and because i bought a i-quad they took my control pad out of my box, even tho i paid for it. need help adding boost safely, goal is 500-550 hp and 1000 ft. # torque  aprox. thx

You can tune the quad just right and not need boost elbow, I hate that stupid thing. I'd go with turn buckle on waste gate before boost elbow. Mine is pluged right now, I rely on tuning and defuel setting for back up. Also thinking about getting blowoff valve to keep turbo from barking. You don't need to buy a boost fooler that's built into the quad. 

You may also want to invest in better valve springs and possibly pushrods.

• Like 1

Head studs and turbo.

I'm running a smarty, 7x009 injectors a and 62mm turbo. This combo makes gobs of power down low and smokes very manageable.

I haven't done head studs yet so I'm running timing at factory settings. 

I dont know how much power I'm making but I recently found the tranny is at its limit. Towing 10k the 47re let go in 2nd gear I pulled over and turned down low fueling down 2 numbers this raises trans pressure and was instant difference.  Tranny then didnt let go in 2nd. I still have the power only difference is I'm on the pedal more to get it wich moves the TV lever more for more pressure. 

I'm also running a turn buckled turbo my turbo is a 3rd gen style short actuator. 

Yes itl bark like crazy coming of the throttle under boost but I've yet to see any issues running with a turn buckled waste gate.

Truck is pulling pretty good mpg numbers to. Coming up just shy of 600 miles for 28gal if fuel combination of stop and go city and free driving.

I was thinking I'd be on quad band wagon but think I dont need to be now that I have this turbo.

I think some here would be impressed with the low end spool and pretty clean power that this turbos making. Not to mention it sounds mean as **** like a huge air pump under the hood 

Resized_20191030_212003(1).jpeg

• Like 1

So you control max boost pressure by defueling, when you pull the cool fuel does ur egt's climb more than you like?

Does this wastegate turnbuckle have a spring on it to control the gate opening? And the turbine bark you spoke of is that like a compressor stall, air flow reverses ?

• Like 1

If you want an aggressive tune that carries power all the way to the top, you can use defuel settings I use them as back up anyway. You'll have to play with them as it could respond different depending on tune. 

In perfect world if you have a good combination of air/fuel/timing which you should be close with your set up, you can build a tune that basically runs out of power before you get too hot or too much boost/drive pressure. 

Tuning is going to take some time, it's ongoing thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 8:36 AM, Evan said:

I dont know how much power I'm making but I recently found the tranny is at its limit. Towing 10k the 47re let go in 2nd gear I pulled over and turned down low fueling down 2 numbers this raises trans pressure and was instant difference.  Tranny then didnt let go in 2nd. I still have the power only difference is I'm on the pedal more to get it wich moves the TV lever more for more pressure. 

The bolded section is my write-up to a T. 

Regardless of how you get there, tuning a truck is the most important thing one can do.

• Like 1

• Owner
9 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

Towing 10k the 47re let go in 2nd gear I pulled over and turned down low fueling down 2 numbers this raises trans pressure and was instant difference.  Tranny then didnt let go in 2nd. I still have the power only difference is I'm on the pedal more to get it wich moves the TV lever more for more pressure. 

This is due to changing the fueling of the Smarty this causes the TV cable to pull more or less. This is what raises the line pressure in the transmission for the most part. Like on the Quadzilla I can cut the fuel deeply and it requires more throttle to keep the same speed. Now crank the Quadzilla up an extra 20% across the board then the amount of throttle will be less and the line pressure will be lower. 

Even though both Quadzilla and Smarty do not change any programming on the PCM and how it shift but the fuel map will change the depth of throttle movement which will either make it shift one way or another. This only applies to the 46RE, 47Re and 48RE automatics...

Yepper.

All good with this load

Turbo eats these up. Hitn 20-35 psi damn near off idle.  No peddling off ever.  She just keeps wanting more and more. People outside turn around to see what's accelerating from the stop light, wondering if the hoods going blow off.

20191204_170441.jpg

• Haha 2