• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High rpm backfire

I have a 2002 dodge 3500 5 speed, i will list the mods below. After installing these mods last weekend I have noticed my truck sounds like a 6.0 powerstroke at high rpm it makes a popping sound almost like a back fire. If anyone has any info on this please let me know. 

150 lift pump

quadzilla V2 

DAP 175

new so vp pump

arp studs

manton 104 valve spring 

pusher intake horn 

s&b intake 

billet tappet cover with breather 

I’m running the stock tune that came on the quad and I just turned it to level 7. 

42 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Sounds like too much timing.  What tine are you running on the quad?

’m running the stock tune that came on the quad and I just turned it to level 7. 

Can you get a vid of the noise

My mind goes to fuel.

Is this popping under load?

What do you consider high rpm I feel over 2200 is high but find many people run the cummins to alot higher rpms than I do.

Is the truck building boost easily?

Those are big injectors, is the quad wire tapped? That's alot of fuel I wonder if it's over fueled 

Have you played with any other tunes? Timing, turn off wire tap, stock tune compared to quad tunes,

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

I would try a tune that is geared to bigger injectors.  

Any white smoke on popping?

if you could datalog the issue and point out the rows we can give you a better idea.

Could you tell me where to start with the tune sir? I’m trying to figure all this out I’m new to the tuner. 

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I would also recheck your valve lash, maybe some valves aren't closing all the way.

It runs good until I get into the hot tunes that add timing. 

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

all tunes add timing above lvl 2  

does it pop on level 3?

check out our tune library for starter tunes

https://mopar1973man.com/files/category/22-quadzilla-standard-tunes/

Check out the tuning article for tuning info 

Which one do I need? 

1 hour ago, Nascar said:

Backfire in a Cummins is usually late timing ( retarded timing for fuel amount ). The more fuel one has the more timing you need to burn said fuel. Fuel is burning after cyl & may be burning even after turbo.

I’m trying to figure out how to adjust the tune correctly. 

If you want to figure out how to adjst hte tune please read the in depth tuning article.  

as to what tune you should run, I can't answer that.  Any of the "mid" injector tunes should be a good starting point, but each of them is built with a different purpose.

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

If you want to figure out how to adjst hte tune please read the in depth tuning article.  

as to what tune you should run, I can't answer that.  Any of the "mid" injector tunes should be a good starting point, but each of them is built with a different purpose.

I just bought the tune for mid injectors, anything above level 2 makes it backfire. So I’m stumped on what to do. 

5 minutes ago, Grayman1995 said:

I just bought the tune for mid injectors, anything above level 2 makes it backfire. So I’m stumped on what to do. 

Heavy throttle? Light throttle? High rpm? Low rpm? Inside the Iquad app, assuming you are using Android, what is the date code on the far-right selectable gauge?

26 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

Heavy throttle? Light throttle? High rpm? Low rpm? Inside the Iquad app, assuming you are using Android, what is the date code on the far-right selectable gauge?

Heavy throttle around 2300rpm it starts. And I’m using iOS. I will get a video of it here soon. And I will data log it. 

22 hours ago, Grayman1995 said:

First thing tomorrow I will get some data logs and videos of it. Happy thanksgiving to all.  

iQuad-2019-11-29-01.38.16.csv

On 11/27/2019 at 11:56 PM, Me78569 said:

we can help more when we see a datalog. 

White smoke or no smoke?

I uploaded it sir 

On 11/27/2019 at 6:49 PM, kzimmer said:

I uploaded videos. And data logs 

I think it's the spikes on the front wheels cutting the air wheeeerd .

Damn nice truck.

It doesnt seem to smoke much under throttle considering the 175 injector plus wire tap and stock turbo

Edited by Evan