Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Recommended Posts

I have a 2002 dodge 3500 5 speed, i will list the mods below. After installing these mods last weekend I have noticed my truck sounds like a 6.0 powerstroke at high rpm it makes a popping sound almost like a back fire. If anyone has any info on this please let me know. 
 

150 lift pump

quadzilla V2 

DAP 175

new so vp pump

arp studs

manton 104 valve spring 

pusher intake horn 

s&b intake 

billet tappet cover with breather 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m running the stock tune that came on the quad and I just turned it to level 7. 

42 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Sounds like too much timing.  What tine are you running on the quad?

’m running the stock tune that came on the quad and I just turned it to level 7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you get a vid of the noise

My mind goes to fuel.

 

Is this popping under load?

What do you consider high rpm I feel over 2200 is high but find many people run the cummins to alot higher rpms than I do.

Is the truck building boost easily?

Those are big injectors, is the quad wire tapped? That's alot of fuel I wonder if it's over fueled 

 

Have you played with any other tunes? Timing, turn off wire tap, stock tune compared to quad tunes,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would try a tune that is geared to bigger injectors.  

 

Any white smoke on popping?

 

if you could datalog the issue and point out the rows we can give you a better idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

I would try a tune that is geared to bigger injectors.  

 

Any white smoke on popping?

 

if you could datalog the issue and point out the rows we can give you a better idea.

Could you tell me where to start with the tune sir? I’m trying to figure all this out I’m new to the tuner. 

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I would also recheck your valve lash, maybe some valves aren't closing all the way.

It runs good until I get into the hot tunes that add timing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Backfire in a Cummins is usually late timing ( retarded timing for fuel amount ). The more fuel one has the more timing you need to burn said fuel. Fuel is burning after cyl & may be burning even after turbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

all tunes add timing above lvl 2  

 

does it pop on level 3?

 

check out our tune library for starter tunes

 

https://mopar1973man.com/files/category/22-quadzilla-standard-tunes/

 

 

 

Check out the tuning article for tuning info 

 

 

 

 

Which one do I need? 

1 hour ago, Nascar said:

Backfire in a Cummins is usually late timing ( retarded timing for fuel amount ). The more fuel one has the more timing you need to burn said fuel. Fuel is burning after cyl & may be burning even after turbo.

I’m trying to figure out how to adjust the tune correctly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to figure out how to adjst hte tune please read the in depth tuning article.  

 

as to what tune you should run, I can't answer that.  Any of the "mid" injector tunes should be a good starting point, but each of them is built with a different purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

If you want to figure out how to adjst hte tune please read the in depth tuning article.  

 

as to what tune you should run, I can't answer that.  Any of the "mid" injector tunes should be a good starting point, but each of them is built with a different purpose.

I just bought the tune for mid injectors, anything above level 2 makes it backfire. So I’m stumped on what to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Grayman1995 said:

I just bought the tune for mid injectors, anything above level 2 makes it backfire. So I’m stumped on what to do. 

 

Heavy throttle? Light throttle? High rpm? Low rpm? Inside the Iquad app, assuming you are using Android, what is the date code on the far-right selectable gauge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

 

Heavy throttle? Light throttle? High rpm? Low rpm? Inside the Iquad app, assuming you are using Android, what is the date code on the far-right selectable gauge?

Heavy throttle around 2300rpm it starts. And I’m using iOS. I will get a video of it here soon. And I will data log it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Me78569 said:

we can help more when we see a datalog. 

 

White smoke or no smoke?

First thing tomorrow I will get some data logs and videos of it. Happy thanksgiving to all.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Grayman1995 said:

First thing tomorrow I will get some data logs and videos of it. Happy thanksgiving to all.  

 

iQuad-2019-11-29-01.38.16.csv

On 11/27/2019 at 11:56 PM, Me78569 said:

we can help more when we see a datalog. 

 

White smoke or no smoke?

I uploaded it sir 

On 11/27/2019 at 6:49 PM, kzimmer said:

 

Heavy throttle? Light throttle? High rpm? Low rpm? Inside the Iquad app, assuming you are using Android, what is the date code on the far-right selectable gauge?

I uploaded videos. And data logs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's the spikes on the front wheels cutting the air wheeeerd .

 

Damn nice truck.

 

It doesnt seem to smoke much under throttle considering the 175 injector plus wire tap and stock turbo

Edited by Evan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Turbo rebuild kits are like 50 to 70 dollars. Fairly easy to rebuild.

Yes sir. I decided to get a 63/68/14 from DAP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...