• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tuner, turbo, injectors?

Hello Guys, This is my first time posting but Ive been a long time lurker. Im about to drop a 24 valve vp44 engine into my 2007 F550 superduty  I'll probably  start pulling the engines in Febuary.

Ive already started to order parts for the swap but I would appreciate any help in pointing me in the right direction When It comes to the Tunner, turbo, injectors....

A little info on the chassis and what it will be doing...The Chassis is a 2007 F550 with a manual ZF-6 transmission 4x4. It is Roll-off truck that I haul dumpsters with and Ive hauled loads up to 10,000 - 12000lbs but the usual is around 8000lbs...

Im located on an island in the Caribbean that is about 32 square miles so there really is no Long stretch of highway here but Im always going up a hill or coming down.

The 24 valve engine has about 125xxx miles on it. I just dropped on a new o-ringed head with Hamilton 103 valve springs and Heavy duty push rods and Head Studs. Ill probablyad an exhaust brake at the end of the build...Also I  dont really have a HP goal but if I had to put a number id say around 500hp.

I was considering a ts mvp/tst powermax stack with 150hp F1 injectors and Dps fummins compounds or a Dps 62/65/12 single, What are your thoughts?... I would love to be able to drive the truck and not baby the pedal to much for concern of clouding the road...

Sorry if my thoughts are all over the place...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Edited by paradisepete
misspelling

hello Me78568, appreciate  the input.  Just so you know im not really stuck on any particular injector size or part for that matter but after going through the threads Ive found that the 150s come up often.. Ive also seen a lot of your remarks as well as others on the Quadzilla and it does seem to be the most flexible of the tuners. Im not apposed to a quad and that may very well be the way I go but the last time I messed with an aftermarket ECU (haltech E6k) was about 15 years ago and i still remember the countless rookie hours I put into it trying to tune it without a dyno  and after all that I still had to sail the car to Puerto Rico to get it on a dyno ( there is no dynos on island)..I know thats been a long time ago and im probably comparing Apple to Oranges on those tuner/programmer  but I do know I have to be prepared to invest some time hence my reasoning for considering the ts/tst stack.... ..I also should have said that peak power is not really my goal but useable power........

As for the the 62 SXE mentioned I assume you are referring to the SXE 62/68/12 i can find at DAP?

I agree 150s wire tap programer and 62 turbo.

I dont know how much power I make but I have 100 injectors, smarty s03 and 62-65-14 sxe.

Truck to me feels like it has Gobs of power is only smoky when I really lay into it builds boost almost instantly.

I have not seen over 1200egt with the 62 turbo.

Heres a teaser pic.

I've thought about turning the smarty of I'm riding a thin line with my 48re I think. A 50-60 horse reduction by losing the smarter wouldn't be a bad thing

Resized_20191030_212003(1).jpeg

Now that looks like a Christmas gift anyone would love......I can just imagine my wifes face when she sees this big heavy box under the tree with her name on it :woot:....

Looking at the picture Ill  have to make sure it will fit with the dps conversion exhaust manifold 

I still have to confirm with Me78569 if its the 62/68/12 sxe he was talking about

DAP says 62/65/14 and 62/68/12 performs very similar. 

Turbo does just clear it 

I did just turn my smarty down to setting #2.

This puts me down to 350-380hp.

The spool up on this turbo is unreal it's a massive air pump under the hood. And sounds like it.

Personally I'd do 150 injectors boost fooler and turbo first. Get the mechanical side then add a programmer if more is wanted.

500hp may eat the nv4500 trans too ooooops or whatever trans your running:(

20191129_123410.jpg

Edited by Evan

That ZF6 needs to be inspected and/or built(most likely the latter) to handle 500 hp reliable day to day and a darn good clutch. 

Where I'm going is at 500hp you are probably close to if not north of a 1000ft/lbs tq, I dont know of many stock transmission's that can take that.  I'll be honest I'm on the 4th transmission in my second gen, engine finally needs a refresh, transmission still good.  I did all the fancy stuff though walked out hurting 6700 dollars later.  Good news is the truck will crack your teeth when shifting no more slush box.

Fun project keep us in the loop hope it turns out well.

Edited by WiscoRedkneck

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 12:37 PM, Evan said:

DAP says 62/65/14 and 62/68/12 performs very similar. 

Turbo does just clear it 

I did just turn my smarty down to setting #2.

This puts me down to 350-380hp.

The spool up on this turbo is unreal it's a massive air pump under the hood. And sounds like it.

Personally I'd do 150 injectors boost fooler and turbo first. Get the mechanical side then add a programmer if more is wanted.

500hp may eat the nv4500 trans too ooooops or whatever trans your running:(

20191129_123410.jpg

the SXE wheel and cover are better than the standard s300 cover and 62 wheel.  The 65/14 and 68/12  perform similar in spool and flow.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:05 AM, WiscoRedkneck said:

That ZF6 needs to be inspected and/or built(most likely the latter) to handle 500 hp reliable day to day and a darn good clutch. 

Where I'm going is at 500hp you are probably close to if not north of a 1000ft/lbs tq, I dont know of many stock transmission's that can take that.  I'll be honest I'm on the 4th transmission in my second gen, engine finally needs a refresh, transmission still good.  I did all the fancy stuff though walked out hurting 6700 dollars later.  Good news is the truck will crack your teeth when shifting no more slush box.

Fun project keep us in the loop hope it turns out well.

I bought a rebuilt unit....I was looking for an outfit that sold beefed up units but didnt really any find ..The clutch i have is the single disk south bend that comes with the conversion kit.......Ive already made up my mind to stay on the lookout for another unit..I didnt realize the general cost of the zf6 and I assume You cant buy a Brand New one from ford......I had a 3406b cat with 13 speed transmission that was way under rated for that engine but I just avoided lugging the engine and It lived for a pretty long time...

On 12/19/2019 at 10:33 AM, Evan said:

You lost me at 3406.

What does that have to do with any pickup size. Lol

Sorry...I was just showing the example of having an engine mated to a transmission that just maybe not up to the torque requirements of said engine, Maybe not the brightest thing to do but what worked for me was not allowing the engine to "lug"  when loaded..I understand that's not a "pickup" engine or situation but Im sure the theory transcends....Mind you I dont drag or sled pull and of course if you beat something hard enough Its going to break sooner or later ....hence why I just bought a transmission but still on the look out for another one.....        Merry Christmas!!

• 9 months later...

Hey Guys..I know its been awhile but here is an update for that project I started if your interested..and I'm not the best at this documenting as I go..I just zone out into the work.....had to pull the head on the doner engine due to a very small crack in the head .....I dropped and o-ringed head and studded it 

20190713_152630.jpg

20190710_091537.jpg

Here is a video of the engine with the new head but old injectors and turbo first start up

Getting ready to pull it out

20200705_121029.jpg

20200705_121020.jpg

Pulling out the 6.0 ...I'm going to save the injectors out of this and donate the rest to someone I dont like?

20200715_125235.jpg

Cummins on the hoist...just changing the oil pan, front and rear seal , front cover gaskets while it's out and adding the Diesel conversion parts

20200806_094525.jpg

20200809_143650.jpg

FINALLY...dropping the engine into the truck..by far the easiest thing to do with this swap once you have the kit...felt good seeing this....top of the world Mom!........just saying

20200809_145212.jpg

20200906_105053.jpg

Popping the new mach4 injectors 

20191218_152705.jpg

Broken boost fitting ...Thanks fedex..no seriously..thank you fedex because it's usually worse 

20191206_134154.jpg

Just dropped in the new injectors and the hamiltons HD pushrods..there a little longer so you will not the difference when your setting the valves.....I upgrade the valve springs due to the exhaust brake I'm installing so I just did the push rods as well

20200829_135426.jpg

20200829_133013.jpg

It's an automatic truck but I'm putting  a  zf6 into it.....I couldn't  find a donor truck to get the floor  so I'll just chop this one up and fad it back together when its time.......the crossmember was easy enough but I saw this on another guys build ..I believe it was " twin turbo 12v build" he way better documenting skills than me and it's a fun read

20200816_085215.jpg

20200816_094346.jpg

20200816_145213.jpg

20200816_152831.jpg

20200816_170351.jpg

Installed the clutch and I had a huge surprise!!! It seems dodge does not use dowel pins in the flywheel to center the pressure plate!!...the pins do more than center the pressure plate..it also helps to hold the torque being applied......I hope I'm just being paranoid..

20200816_170412.jpg

Another picture of the cross member from the under side

20200818_144627.jpg

• Like 2

Getting the zf6 ready ....I had a TERRIBLE experience buying this unit......if you guys want to know the story I will tell it.. ..I hate bashing people's livelihood but when you tell someone what you want and that your willing to pay for it and they still give it to you with no vaseline ...maybe that's why there was no core charge on the transfer case...

20200818_171630.jpg

20200818_183431.jpg

Damn!! Got to starting hitting the weights again....and also I need to buy a smaller transmission Jack..borrowed this one from a friend but it's for the larger Roadranger units...had to get creative with the strap binders to pull it into place

20200819_165311.jpg

20200820_091308.jpg

Casualty or war!!!

20200823_150559.jpg

Clutch pedal...all the holes are there just have to bolt up

20200823_150448.jpg

Clutch pedal installed and brake pedal shaved down.....on the edge of the brake pedal where I cut it I took the mig and built back up the edge so the side has some kind of support  for the rubber cover to make it feel firm under your foot......

20200824_095935.jpg

What can you see in this picture??

20200829_124907.jpg

This is when I got the wiring harness back...then I stuck it o  the engine..take your time with this part..it toke me 2 or 3 time to get it I to a position o liked

20200904_172857.jpg

20200904_172903.jpg

Installed the the alternator with the diesel conversion kit..the belt they said to use in the instructions was too short my build so I bought 2 more belts to guesstimate which one would work...

20200913_113538.jpg

Power steering!!! Factory line was some type of aluminum alloy so I couldn't bronze the hell out of it so I bought a speciality fitting from an online hydraulic store..it was a metric thread to a sae or jic flare...the truck I got the engine out of already had the a sae flare bronzed onto it so I just got a high pressure hose made up and it on.....also the power steering pump is a psc motorsports pump that was turned up so to speak for the ford application  but not an exact match but it will work I was told ..this is a long topic so I'll move on

20200912_085625.jpg

This is the down pipe I'm using...I bought a MBRP exhaust system for my f550 and modified the down pipe to work with the exhaust brake..I fits really well...but it to me about 3 days just to get the exhaust system installed in a way I liked so let's hope it works well tooo

20201011_134020.jpg

I've got the brakelok to install, the body mounts, the airdog, the drive shafts to fab up or purchase and the list goes on......

Also I bought a radiator from bullet proof diesel and was told that it will only work with an auto...to make a long story  short my manual transmission cooler lines snap in very snugly and I can't see a difference in the auto and manual  lines when it comes to the connection at the radiator...if it leaks I'll let you know.....

20201022_091245.jpg

Look guys...I found another 6.0..any takers. Just joking..my other 6.0 works like a beast ..when it's working but that was  after about 18k I dropped on it.....any ways I'd like to say thanks to Me78569 for any help and I'll be knocking your door In a few when it comes to that quad...and everyone else ..you too Evan..made me buy that turbo even quicker when I saw your setup......but not to sound greedy but now that the engine is in and I see the space I have I kinda wish I went with compounds...just saying..

20200810_113356.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paradisepete said:

Getting the zf6 ready ....I had a TERRIBLE experience buying this unit......if you guys want to know the story I will tell it.. ..I hate bashing people's livelihood but when you tell someone what you want and that your willing to pay for it and they still give it to you with no vaseline ...maybe that's why there was no core charge on the transfer case...

20200818_171630.jpg

20200818_183431.jpg

Damn!! Got to starting hitting the weights again....and also I need to buy a smaller transmission Jack..borrowed this one from a friend but it's for the larger Roadranger units...had to get creative with the strap binders to pull it into place

20200819_165311.jpg

20200820_091308.jpg

Casualty or war!!!

20200823_150559.jpg

Clutch pedal...all the holes are there just have to bolt up

20200823_150448.jpg

Clutch pedal installed and brake pedal shaved down.....on the edge of the brake pedal where I cut it I took the mig and built back up the edge so the side has some kind of support  for the rubber cover to make it feel firm under your foot......

20200824_095935.jpg

What can you see in this picture??

20200829_124907.jpg

This is when I got the wiring harness back...then I stuck it o  the engine..take your time with this part..it toke me 2 or 3 time to get it I to a position o liked

20200904_172857.jpg

20200904_172903.jpg

Installed the the alternator with the diesel conversion kit..the belt they said to use in the instructions was too short my build so I bought 2 more belts to guesstimate which one would work...

20200913_113538.jpg

Power steering!!! Factory line was some type of aluminum alloy so I couldn't bronze the hell out of it so I bought a speciality fitting from an online hydraulic store..it was a metric thread to a sae or jic flare...the truck I got the engine out of already had the a sae flare bronzed onto it so I just got a high pressure hose made up and it on.....also the power steering pump is a psc motorsports pump that was turned up so to speak for the ford application  but not an exact match but it will work I was told ..this is a long topic so I'll move on

20200912_085625.jpg

This is the down pipe I'm using...I bought a MBRP exhaust system for my f550 and modified the down pipe to work with the exhaust brake..I fits really well...but it to me about 3 days just to get the exhaust system installed in a way I liked so let's hope it works well tooo

20201011_134020.jpg

I've got the brakelok to install, the body mounts, the airdog, the drive shafts to fab up or purchase and the list goes on......

Also I bought a radiator from bullet proof diesel and was told that it will only work with an auto...to make a long story  short my manual transmission cooler lines snap in very snugly and I can't see a difference in the auto and manual  lines when it comes to the connection at the radiator...if it leaks I'll let you know.....

20201022_091245.jpg

Look guys...I found another 6.0..any takers. Just joking..my other 6.0 works like a beast ..when it's working but that was  after about 18k I dropped on it.....any ways I'd like to say thanks to Me78569 for any help and I'll be knocking your door In a few when it comes to that quad...and everyone else ..you too Evan..made me buy that turbo even quicker when I saw your setup......but not to sound greedy but now that the engine is in and I see the space I have I kinda wish I went with compounds...just saying..

20200810_113356.jpg

Sorry about the typos...

3 hours ago, LorenS said:

Wow, you've been busy! All looks great.

Hey LorenS..I may have gotten a lot more done but sadly I'm still trying to figure out how to be in 2 or 3 places at once?.....and would you believe me if I told you I was going to pull apart my only running 550 to do this with the thought  process of "I'll get it done in about 2 weeks"...thank God I didnt do that.......maybe I should have bought a 6.7 powerstroke but I get this border line insane obsession of always wanting to be able to fix my own crap in a moments notice........   and have you seen under the hood of those new 550s?.......and I should proof read more..

Popping out the old body mounts for a set of S&Bs

20201025_123956.jpg

20201025_124024.jpg

Got the Airdog installed...picking a spot toke awhile due to the fact there will be  a hydraulic tank and hoses in places under the cab  that I can't deviant from so this spot on the rail is the next best thing...I'll fab up some sort of cover/shield for it....install was pretty straightforward just had to get about 20 more feet of hose due to the longer chassis...

20201025_124035.jpg

As for the alternator belt this the one that worked for me....and once agian I know they say all swaps tend to be a little different  and those guys at DCS have been good at answering my questions..

20201025_125114.jpg

Picture of the pacbrake installed..pay special attention to the bands that clamp the turbo to the exhaust brake(when I bought the turbo I told them I wanted to run a pacbrake direct mount setup...it has its pros and cons) and the band that clamps the exhaust brake to the down pipe as well as the flange that is welded to the down pipe that will mate to the exhaust brake...I didnt find a one stop shop for those items so pay attention..

20201025_125436.jpg

Just got a new toy.. dont tell my wife..

20201025_130732.jpg

• Like 1