• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

is that a head gasket leak

99 dodge ram 2500 turbo diesel. 5.9 24v. 

I am curious if this is a head gasket or freeze plug leak. its leaking coolant from back of block. tech reckons plug. That corrosion however looks ominous. Ive been quoted $2600 to repair with removing head etc. the pics are from below. As a complete novice can i drive the truck to another shop for a 2nd estimate. 

Head3.jpg

Head2.jpg

Sure looks like a hg leak, can't see the head from this angle. I don't see why you couldn't drive it to a different shop, just make sure to keep an eye on antifreeze if it's cold where you are, or you could use water for now too. You can put some bars leak for temporary fix.   https://www.amazon.com/Bars-Leaks-HDC-Radiator-Tablet/dp/B000KKND3Q/ref=asc_df_B000KKND3Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312181776237&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7732679388213945053&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018656&hvtargid=pla-569057243725&psc=1

• Like 1

@sam, if you can get your hands on a radiator pressure tester, you would likely find which is leaking.  I would pump up the tester to 15 psi with a cold engine. 

Personally, I would not use Bars Leak or any other sealant.  I did once because I had a leaking heater core and I thought it would be a good fix.  Although it worked for a couple of years, it took a few more years to clean up the coolant, even with many coolant changes.  I finally added a coolant filter in the to the cooling system which made the coolant very clean again. 

- John

• Like 1

Thank you for your expertise. I think that the cylinder head gasket is leaking coolant rather than a rear plug. Those pictures seem to suggest it. There is a freeze plug above that location but it felt dry whilst below was all wet with coolant. I will run the motor and check the stream 1 more time now i am more familiar with how things are situated back there.

I got an estimate of $2600 to remove head and replace gasket, bolts etc and repair. That tech said it was a small freeze plug.

When the motor is running i can see the coolant stream leak which is coming from that location. since its at the back next to the firewall its difficult to be exact while it running and hot.

I will try not to drive the motor until i get my 2nd opinion/estimate. 

Edited by sam

• Staff

Do a cooling system pressure  test like @Tractorman recommended.  You can have the use of a cooling system pressure tester from O'Reilly tool loaner service for free.  You needed to put a deposit down but you will get it back when you return the tool.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/evertough-4771/tools---equipment-16488/tools-23747/rental-tools-16837/rental-tools--air-conditioning---cooling-19163/26fcb01856e7/rental-tools-evertough-radiator-cap-test-kit/67085/4700282

For the harder to see areas behind the head you can use a small mirror and flash light. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=inspection mirror

• Like 1

I used some of that bars leak in mine when HG started failing. It did help some but left residue which I think is mostly gone after couple flushes but maybe not. It does not seem to have harmed anything in coolant as everything functions normally. I had drive quite a while before repair, about 20k+ miles. Mine was leaking at the right front corner. After researching I found it to a common leak from a water jacket to the outside of the head. There is still a risk it coul have gotten in oil so I kept close eye on oil but I did feel pretty safe. I was trying to get to a point where I could do the repair my self. I spent about $1400 on mine. You can spend alot if you want to. It is not difficult repair if are mechanically incline but the repair will consume some time.

As far as where yours is leaking and the chance of coolant getting in the oil i would not know. If it had gotten into mine it would have been a whole can of worms opened up. You would do so at your own risk. 

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2

Thanks so much for advice, i really appreciate you taking the time to reply with your experience. 

The tech said he did a pressure test and said it was leaking from a small freeze plug at the rear of the block. He said he had to pull the block to repair it.

I appreciate advice on the pressure test . I may go ahead and do it just to satisfy my curiosity. With the motor running its too hot to feel or see exactly where its at.

My main concern is to keep coolant out of oil until my 2nd estimate. then i can decide what to do.. My oil and coolant are clean and im not blowing smoke.

I appreciate the advise on barrs leak. I will not be repairing the motor, it will be in the shop. 1st estimate is $2600. 2nd estimate(specialized diesel tech) if a freeze plug is between $200-$500 but that was sight unseen. 

Edited by sam

10 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

If your map in is correct,  I'm down at SeaTac ...out of curiosity any good diesel shops you take it to?

I am up in Everett. I have been taking it to a diesel shop but pricing is too high  and they never did get my AC sorted even though they charged me. So quit going there.  I have an appt at another diesel shop that has very good reviews so getting 2nd opinion.

Who does your work?

Plateau diesel (their new name) does my work when it's absolutely necessary.  But was disappointed last time.  However have only used them 3 times since 2005.  Main goal of joining this site was to learn about our 2nd gens after getting hosed in Yuma couple years ago.  People speak good about dynamite diesel.  However my experience over phone with them was not good, so my back pocket didn't  let loose for them.  There's good people on this site who will help.  

Edited by 015point9
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Head gasket for sure. Mine leaked in the same spot. Its head curl. 425 ARP studs will fix that problem.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look. What estimate am i looking at to repair. Its a work rig and not a performance rig. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GgwKBgEVNIetjNn3qND-NIrURpgbp2oA?usp=sharing

• Staff

sam, how many miles on your truck? Do you have any power mods?

Please be careful who works on your truck. 

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The stock head bolts tend to stretch on the ends and then the leaks can occur. The machine shop suggested the 425 studs to help keep the head clamped down tight.

Does this mean whenever we do an injector change the head bolts should be retorqued, provided the gasket doesn't leak?

Edited by JAG1