• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

is that a head gasket leak

22 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

sam, how many miles on your truck? Do you have any power mods?

Please be careful who works on your truck.      Jag1 219k no mods. Thanks i will try to be careful. 

22 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Does this mean whenever we do an injector change the head bolts should be retorqued, provided the gasket doesn't leak?

• Staff
54 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. Shouldn't have to mess with retorquing the head much. The studs are harder than stock. Even ARP mentions in the docs not to retorque.

I am talking stock studs Mike....... because they stretch shouldn't we be carefully retorquing them anytime the valve cover is off? :shrug:.

As long as my question doesn't start an impeachment hearing and pics of Jag1 surrounded by donkies everything is alright.

Edited by JAG1

21 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Head gasket for sure. Mine leaked in the same spot. Its head curl. 425 ARP studs will fix that problem.

Thanks. Do you mean pull and repair the head gasket and then use 425 ARP studs instead of bolts? 

Anyone n my neck of the woods you can recommend?

Edited by sam

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Pull the head send it to machine shop have the valves and guides done. Then have the head surfaced flat. Then pickup the studs.

Mine was about $2,000 to be done, 18 valve guides, valves lapped, and surfaced flat. Head gasket and studs.

I will get to the shop ASAP if i can get that sort of deal!!

• Staff
29 minutes ago, sam said:

sam, your in Everett wa. There is a group of 2nd gen owners up there around there called NW Bombers. There is a guy with a private shop in Arlington on a ten acre place. I cannot remember his name, but has a real nice private shop and he is a real good guy. I would try talking with him on the NW Bombers forum see if you can get him to do the work. Everyone knows who he is in Arlington up there. He is one to be trusted with your work for sure. He has to do it in his spare time I know, but his work is neat and organized and thorough :thumb1:

Mopar Man won't even answer question about retorquing old bolts. :punish:

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

Thanks JAG. Is there a link online to the forum i want to be in?. I am wiling to travel as i dont need the truck until spring really. Arlington is just around the corner. I do have an appt for a 2nd estimate on 16th Dec at a diesel shop. 

44 minutes ago, sam said:

Mike pulled and replaced the head himself. The 2k was for machine work and parts. I only spent $1400 on mine but did not do the studs and and valve guides were fine in my head. I provided all my labor as Mike did.

Edited by dripley

• Staff

sam, just look up N.W. Bombers diesel truck forums and join in the conversation about finding a local shop, but do mention that I said something about 'Hoss' a NW member in Arlington on a ten acre place. He's a real nice guy with an amazing shop. He helps a lot of people, but you want to be fair with him about money and take good care of his labor too. :thumb1: Amazing I remembered his name..... everyone calls him that. His wifes coffee is the best too.

One last note; I have seen Hoss do 24 valve removal and replacements..... probably more times than he remembers.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

sam, just look up N.W. Bombers diesel truck forums and join in the conversation about finding a local shop, but do mention that I said something about 'Hoss' a NW member in Arlington on a ten acre place. He's a real nice guy with an amazing shop. He helps a lot of people, but you want to be fair with him about money and take good care of his labor too. :thumb1: Amazing I remembered his name..... everyone calls him that. His wifes coffee is the best too.

One last note; I have seen Hoss do 24 valve removal and replacements..... probably more times than he remembers.

Thanks Jag really appreciate that you took the time to help me out. I found the guy but i cant post anything until i get approval on nwbombers.com which may take some time :thumb1: BTW i got a 2nd estimate of 3k ballapark from a shop nearby. 

• Staff

I didn't know they require an approval now. Haven't been on the forum there for a very long time as Mopar1073Man has been a very big help for reliability and good down home advice. for many of us here. This place has been simply tremendous. If you get into the articles sam you will find why this place is first and foremost above all the diesel forums.  :USflag:

• Like 1

Yes retourge old bolts any time heads off, new up grades bolts would definitely be wanted.

Yes 2000 would be way cheap to get the head done. 3500-4000k to do.

However 2000 seems high to do it yourself. But that's not pricing machine work and valve parts, just me thinking I could do it under 2k not k ow f what it truly cost for parts or machining.

• Like 1