• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Buying a Quad soon

1 hour ago, Gregturley said:

That milage is about 50/50 highway and town. I'm open for suggestions on this. Forgot to add i have RV275 injectors too.

Depending on driving habits, idle time, weather, geography, etc, 13 mpg with 50/50 driving could be reasonable.

On 1/8/2020 at 6:00 PM, kzimmer said:

Definitely a common part to fail. I've had two fail in probably 30,000 km or less. The first one that failed just wouldn't output anything, was always zero PSI. The second one also shorted the 5v supply and I lost my oil pressure reading. Cheap crap... I have no idea on what brands they were. 

F me... Two days after I type that, this morning I cooked another map sensor. WTF. -28°C morning, boosted it with my half ton to help it turn over faster to get it started. Possibly gelled a little, time to change filters. Plus I had it plugged in with a block heater timer, I think when it's this cold I need to bypass the timer and leave it plugged in all night. Sorry for the hijack. Why the hell would boosting my truck cook a map sensor and nothing else? My batteries wasn't even dead, they were just starting to get low from cranking. Maybe it was a coincidence. No more cheap *** rock auto sensors I guess. If anyone has a recommendation for a MAP sensor brand, I'm all ears. I'm assuming Cummins just buys a jobber and puts their name on the box. This truck is by far the shittiest winter vehicle I've ever owned. 

Just a thought, I didn't unplug the quad before I boosted the truck. Is the quad and/or its boost fooler somehow causing problems with the map sensor? Probably not, but it's an interesting thought.

Sorry for the thread derail @Gregturley

Edited by kzimmer
More info.
  • Sad 1

• Owner
22 hours ago, Gregturley said:

Not lifted, 265/75/16 tires 3.54 gear.

That wide tire will only give you roughly 16 MPG stock config max according to my fuel logs of the past. I dropped to 235/85 R16 for years and did much better because the 235's were almost 20 pounds a tire lighter. Now switched to the door label to 245/75 R16 and now gain more torque. I went from 31" tire down to 30" and the tire is still slightly light than the 265/75 R16. This last change of tires altered the final ratio to the ground from 3.55 to 3.69. Making the truck even quicker and producing more torque at the rear tires. Wider the tires the more rolling resistance. Hence why true racing vehicles have very narrow front tires to reduce rolling resistance. Rears have to be wide and light for traction and reduce rotational mass. 

22 hours ago, Gregturley said:

Drop it in neutral and it will roll easily.

What are your tire pressures? Typically most 235, 245 and 256's tires are 3,042 pounds at 80 PSI for capacity. Using my truck for weights which I just done last week. 

Tires -> Hankook ATm 24/76 R16 rated for 3,042 at 80 PSI

Front axle - 4400 pounds -> 4400 / 2 = 2200 / 3042 = 0.72 x 80 = 57.8 PSI Inflate the front

Rear axle - 2900 Pounds -> 2900 / 2 = 1450 / 3042 = 0.47 x 80 = 38.1 PSI Inflate the rear

This will get you the best tire wear, traction, and comfort in the truck. So like I typically just run the 60 Front and 40 rear being I may carry some weight some days. As for pressures for full 8,000 pound truck weight capacity is 60 PSI in all tires will cover 8,000 pound GVWR. If I'm going for comfort I would drop down to 55 PSI front and 35 PSI rear this also works good on soft surface like sand too. Loose materials require low pressures for better traction.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Put in the map sensor at lunch. Problem solved. Mechanical and Quad are now within 1-2psi from my quick blast across the parking lot. Quad saw 24psi today. Its never read above 13psi or so since i installed it.

Old one was still 32mm which makes me really believe it had never been changed. Have 184xxx on it.

• Like 2

I notice a big drop in mpg when it gets below 40, also if I drive faster then 65 mpg drops too. Lately I've been getting around 16 mix driving. In summer I'll get close to 19. I can get over 20 in summer if I drive nice. Actually I got my quad fuel usage dialed in to almost exact amount when filling up and if I drive accordingly I can probably get closer to 23-24mpg I just don't have patience for it. 

1 hour ago, Gregturley said:

I want 20 mpg but now I'd settle for 15. Just something better than 12 to 13, that sucks.

My 96 had a V 10 in it. It got 12 on the interstate and about 6 around town. That was 1 of 2 reasons I got rid of it. The second was # 10 piston was in the oil pan, never ran right after that.:think:

Edited by dripley
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gregturley said:

I want 20 mpg but now I'd settle for 15. Just something better than 12 to 13, that sucks.

I get 15 on interstate running 70mph, 10-11 towing any kinda of weight at 67mph. I could justify a Quad if I could get close to 20 mpg empty and 15 mpg towing.

3 hours ago, Gregturley said:

After my ride home it looks like Quad is 2 psi lower than Autometer. 

On the low end, high end, or all around? Either way it sounds reasonable to me. FYI, Cummins quoted me $225 CAD ($170 USD) for a MAP sensor today. Yuck.