• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Heater Blend Door Issue

Hi All,  Got in the truck to get the Christmas tree we are having our first good storm of the year in Northern CA.  So we drove with no defrost and foggy windows.  Reading the trouble shooting options the hoses are both Hot with the right being hotter,  no hot air blowing anywhere  If you turned off the fans and idled I did feel some heat but not enough to warm the cab.  Looking at  a trip to Seattle at Xmas time this isn't going to cut it. 

Is the Heater Treater still the hot ticket for this issue?

Thanks Cold in the Central Valley!!

Michael

Edited by int3man
Typo's

If it is the blend door actuator is the problem. It sounds to me you have a plugged heater core. I have had this on several vehicles and as a temp fix that has got me through the winter I did a back flush of the heater only. I pored vinegar in it and then flushed with hot water. I cant say this is a solution but has helped me. 

• Staff

I had the same problem. Don't know if its the blend door actuator or the piece that the heater treater rplaces. I got mine to work one last time on hot so it's staying there till I or MoparMan gets a chance to completely redo everything on the HVAC system. Last friday I smelled antifreeze when turning on the defroster so my heater core is going. Plus I got a leak in the evaporative cooler that IBMobile found.

My suggestion is to replace everything once you pull the dash to get in there.

my replacement list;

Heater treater

evaporative cooler

heater core

new foam tape/ gasket to the clamshell design

new condenser drain hose thru the firewall with a downward 90 outside

lube all moving parts

I can always replace the blower and resistor later along with the blend door actuator from the outside of the whole plenum.

Edited by JAG1

Are you getting airflow through the vents?  I had a big issue with low airflow and my HVAC box was full of so much that air couldn't pass through.  You could remove the squirrel cage and get an idea of how it looks inside-stick your phone up there are record video.  Last winter I pulled my HVAC box, that was the best repair I have done to my truck.  I replaced the heater core, AC evaporator, squirrel cage, and the resistor.  I installed the heater treater piece, but mine was still in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...

O.K.  Reached in between the door motor and the heater box.  I was able to spin the output shaft continuously.  So it is a toast.  I'll get it pulled out.  The Heater Treater looks pretty simple to emulate.  A Stepdown Copper reducer might just do the trick.  We'll see.

Michael :-  ) 

Nope not yet.   Just getting into it.  This really Sucks!!  I tried a 1/4 flex socket with a bit in it and it bent too much so I'll try some tape tomorrow.  Post photos when I get it apart!!  Check out the Heater treater link below.

Michael :- )

https://heatertreater.net/dodge-ram-95-02

Edited by int3man

O.K.  TOTALLY Weird now.  Finally got the back screw out.  Actually a friend did, I don't fit stepwells anymore. And the intermediate part was good and the servo motor was tracking unloaded.  So the last turn to cold the motor did not stop must be trying to shut the door and can't because it is hanging loose.  So we manually kicked the door to heat and I have a little heat but no large movement of air.  If I Kick it to max A.C. it blows Cold Hard, through the face vents.

Is there a way to flood the airbox to wash it out?  I know on the Megacab had a drain nipple that keeps the bugs out to eliminate the condensation from the A.C.

Thanks

Michael

Edited by int3man

1 hour ago, int3man said:

So we manually kicked the door to heat and I have a little heat but no large movement of air.  If I Kick it to max A.C. it blows Cold Hard, through the face vents.

I think you are going to have to pull the dash.  It is sounding like the air flow through the heater core is mostly blocked, unless the blend door is actually broken and blocking the path through the heater core). 

The blower motor draws air from outside (through the cowling behind the hood) or from the interior of the cab (recirc mode).  After that air exits the blower outlet duct, all of that air passes through the evaporator core.  All of that air leaving the evaporator core is either diverted around or directed through (or both) the heater core via the blend door.  There is no way to clear any air flow blockage in the heater core area that I know of.

I am a bit confused because in an earlier post you answered a question about sufficient air flow from the vents.  Your answer:

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:43 PM, int3man said:

Yes sir we have air just no heat.

Now you are saying "a little heat but no large movement of air"?

- John

Hi John,

That is true, there is air movement but nothing like the A.C. Blowing on max. And MAX recirculates the air.  HMM I wonder how to get the MAX feature on while the heater is on.  I tried it with the Blend door moved over but it was cold air.  Defrost is moving air but not at the velocity of the MAX A.C.

Hope that is clearer.

Michael

Thank you sir you are a gentleman, in spite of the feathers!!  And please see how much air you get through the defroster?  Same as the face vents or about 1/3.  I get about 1/3.  Once I got the Air door to hot I was able to warm the windshield.

Michael :- )

You cannot get air from the defroster vents with the mode selector in the Max position.  The only way to get air from the defroster vents is to select Defrost or select the combination Floor / Defrost.  Max air selection will draw air from the cab via the recirculating door position and send that air through the panel vents.  The air temperature will be controlled by the blend door position.

You can, however, get any temperature of air (from very cold to hot) in any mode (Defrost, AC, Max , Floor, Vent) because that is the function of the blend door.  So, if you are getting a reasonable amount of airflow coming from the defrost vents, there really can be only two possible causes for airflow not being hot.  One, the coolant portion of the heater core is significantly restricted; or two, the blend door mechanism / ducting is faulty and cannot direct all of the airflow through the heater core.

Hope this helps...

- John

HI John,

Yea that confirms what I was thinking.  The blend door is full over so there is no flow through the heater core.  I'll work on flushing it tomorrow.  Any one know what the hose size is off hand?  I have to take the truck in to get the batteries tested tomorrow.

Thanks!

Michael