• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Diff Housing/Oil Temps

I am attempting to track down a driveline vibration. Seems to be happening when accelerating from a stop while turning left. Unknown history of diff and drive line maintenance. I Changed the diff oil in July. Not many miles use since June. Will take a diff oil sample soon for analysis. 

This weekend I drove at hiway speeds for about an hour. No issues. Got home and immediately used a laser thermometer to check u-joint and diff housing temps. Ujoints all seemed fine and no hot bearings. Rear Diff housing pumpkin measured about 100F. Housing near pinion recorded about 120F.  Is there something maybe going on with a pinion bearing? Any idea on normal housing temps after a good drive?  Looking for any clues as to where to look from here. Thx. 

Make sure pinion nut is tight. Mine somehow backed off. Allowed pinion to walk in and out if ring gear. It did some damage but I'm still running it..

Front drive line can vibrate and sound like its coming from the rear of the truck. 

I dont think 120 is that hot but it us warmer than the rest. 

• Owner
On 12/10/2019 at 10:34 AM, Ed ke6bnl said:

What about clutches in rear diff. 

That is one problem I'm glad I don't have in any vehicles I own. Standard open diffs. No heat, no wear, and no problem.

Clutches will only affect how it corners. Like making left or right turns sharp then the clutches have to release and slip a bit hence why you need friction modifier to keep it from chattering. This will add heat to the diff if the clutch are slipping excessively. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 1 month later...

Just following up to say that I added a second small bottle of friction modifier and the symptoms are gone. I had added one at the time I changed the diff oil. Apparently its not enough. I also took an oil sample in December and sent it in for analysis. I last changed the diff oil in June, I think. The oil sample came back good. I am in good shape again it seems.  

Edited by keithb7