• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crazy life - Just blogging

Mopar1973Man

• Owner
6 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Its been awhile since you posted about it so did you jump right in and get your trans installed?

No. That is the project of today. I must get the Cummins up and running. I've got the transmission hanging off the engine hoist and the bucket of Mobil 50 sitting there. Just need about 3 hours to stuff it together. 

The 1996 Dodge I can't find alternator in any of the part stores near me. I thought about dipping into the diodes but 186k miles the bearing have to be tired. 

6 hours ago, JAG1 said:

It's wonderful you have Eileen there....... a real nurse there taking care of your ailing mom. Wow that's great:thumb1:

She has been a huge help. Between Eileen's health issues and Mom's health issues it been nearly constant running back and forth to doctors appointments. I have not been able to work a paying job in weeks now. 

• Staff

Waiting to hear about the trans going back in. It has got to go smooth as many times as you've done it.

Call the most convenient parts store to get them to bring in the alternator for your next run thru town.

Things going to get better. I think we have all have had those difficult times that require extraordinary faith and perseverance, usually always turn around at some point. I hope it's now that the alternator gave out on the 96. Hang in there.....Some of my most troubling times seem to come in the middle of winter too. 

My hope is some of our expired members can start to throw a little in the kitty to help with this rough road. You have helped so many, including myself. 

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Owner
6 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Waiting to hear about the trans going back in. It has got to go smooth as many times as you've done it.

Just finished up at 2:30pm today. Shifting smooth once again. 

6 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Call the most convenient parts store to get them to bring in the alternator for your next run thru town.

None of them are.

McCall, Idaho NAPA has a 7% sales tax and prices are higher. But semi local only 1.5 hour round trip. 

Council, Idaho NAPA again bit better prices only 6% tax. This is a 2 hour round trip.

Ontario, Oregon NAPA even better prices. No sales taxes at all. Then for every 100 dollars I spend I get 5$ off the total purchase. 6 hour round trip.

So I tend to wait till my dialysis cycle for parts because prices are just way better.

I'm now getting some ground back. Since I got the Cummins back up I can get stuff done here at home. Eventually I need to get back to work too... Paying work...

• Like 2

• Owner

Ok settle down gang geez...

Long way from in caught up condition. I'm early this morning so I can make phone calls and pay bills. Like the $400 a month to St. Lukes so I keep my house. Then the insurance company too. 

We did test run the Cummins into town and did some grocery shopping for basics to get by till Tuesday. Ran good. Clutch actually working much better can't explain why being I never even pulled the bell housing off the engine. Syncros wise it was a full set of brass syncro and 1st and 2nd still remain carbon fiber. For what ever reason 3rd and 4th gear syncros wear damaged. I'm back to running Mobil 50 again since Weller truck will not warranty with Valvoline MTF or PennzOil Synromech. 

Moving on. Eileen was down in the guest house cleaning up some more after we moved up to the main house. She was working to getting back to a guest quarters condition again. She is getting better with energy wise. She is starting to gain her strength back. Tough diet when you use to eating anything now has to be super lean and fat free everything. We are both trying to loss a bit of weight and I'm already lost 15 pounds. Eileen's lost at least 20 pounds. 

At least now I've got the good truck that is cheaper to drive. After making the nearly a month of using the 1996 Dodge it was still 19 cents a mile to drive and took two fill ups in a day to make New Meadows to Ontario - FILL - Ontario to Boise and back Ontario - FILL then I could make it home and back again to Ontario where fill is nearly 40 cents cheaper a gallon. The Cummins is only 17 cents a mile. 

The 1996 Dodge needs a lot of work. I'm going to put LED bulbs in that truck. After a month of $65 SilverStar headlights they SUCK! I just can't see safely. Also going to install a set of PIAA LED's driving later but for now I'm going for a set of LED headlights. The other big price tag item is a new fuel pump.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/DFPFG0212?partTypeName=Fuel+Pump&keywordInput=fuel+pump

I'm tired of the crappy fuel gauge and that pump is the factory pump and really need to replace it being the fuel filter is part of that assembly. 186k miles I think the filter might be partial plugged, the fuel gauge half :moon: works, and I really don't want to break down because of a fuel pump. Also the alternator that is fried... 

Then at 10am today I've got to stop by a friends place and look at his daughter Ford Focus with a rash of error codes and misfire conditions. Then make sure I get back and get ready for tomorrows run to Ontario I still got to move everything from one truck to the other truck. 

I want to make a mention about the tires on the 1996 Truck those are AWESOME. Those little 215/85 R16 are some rocking snow tires and track like they are on rails even with snow covered highways. Many times of rolling home in snow storms and still running 55 to 60 MPH while everyone else is in pain mode and down to 35 and 40 MPH. Skinny tires do work and work extremely well. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
On 1/26/2020 at 5:37 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

The 1996 Dodge I can't find alternator in any of the part stores near me. I thought about dipping into the diodes but 186k miles the bearing have to be tired. 

Drop it off at these guys on one of your Nampa runs. They rebuilt the one in my 05 and it was a cheaper/better fix than parts store stuff. 

https://www.durobilt.com/

• Owner

Finally yesterday started to look more normal again.

Got up early got a bit of web work done for the morning. Paid a few bills. Then took off for a job in Pollock, ID. Local gent want me to look at his daughter Ford Focus. It has 2 misfire codes for cylinder 2 and 4. I had to walk away from it being I don't have a ton of knowledge on Ford vehicles. 

Then I ran back to my other shop which I knew I had a Dodge truck with leaking transmission lines. I grabbed my cellphone and stood right next to the network extender I had no cell service and could not place any phone calls. I asked Russ the land owner if his phone worked pulls out his cell phone and he's got 5 bars. When I was in town my referral contact in Riggins was telling me of complains that I'm not answering my phone or returning calls. Kind of hard when there is no cell signal on my phone. Like as I sit here my network extender is less than 3 feet away. So I had to leave Russ's shop and head home to place the call on a land line being my cellphone crapped out. Then later started working again.

Thing is with my cellphone instead of calling customers to come back and see parts or issues I can snap a photo and text it to them and then I get go ahead for parts or what not. This now make life easy for me because I can work from either shop and never have to fight with communications (different phone numbers). Also that text messages and notes follow me. I originally started with a notebook at each but found myself having the notes left behind at either shop and constantly running back and forth. Cellphone follows me with all my contacts and notes. 

So I return to Russ's place to finish the Dodge for now and kick it out to load up a Ford with coolant leak. After looking it over I need to replace the coolant manifold gaskets that tie the heads together. But that is going to require lots of time to remove a ton of stuff. It got returned to the owner for now since she needs the vehicle for heading to Spokane. 

DSCF4644.JPG

As it goes home its barely weeping with all that I could do to abuse it and get coolant pressures up. Yeah scary though I bought a Ford home to yard full of Dodge's I had to hid my face in a paper bag so no one knew! :shifty:

Then flipped switch and went old school and working on a older Chevy van with headlight issues. I thought it was dimmer switch for sure but sad to say it was both headlight were blown. The plugs were oxidized enough to give the illusion of no power on the hi beam leg. So after wasting about an hour I got it all put back together and good headlights and both hi and lo beams working. 

Now this morning I started at 4:30am with both of my hips hurting and my lower back from all the bench pressing I did on my truck on Sunday. Gotta roll to Ontario being Mom skipped on Saturday being my 1996 Dodge broke down with a bad alternator and the AC noise was so bad it was pulling the trans all the way down to 2nd gear randomly. If I drive at 30 MPH it would stay in 4th gear. So 65 mile trip took nearly 2 hours to get back home. Now the Cummins is running again. 

@AH64ID posted up about a alternator rebuilt Durobilt in Nampa which I'm willing to try. Sad I didn't have the time yesterday to pull that alternator. So it on hold again. This is the part that annoys me is everyone else problems are fixed in a timely manner but when it comes to my own stuff I'm having to wait. Hence being with the Cummins since Jan 4. Weller had it done in 1 day. Then have the transmission hang on the hoist till Jan 26th. Rather frustrating. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Back to the shop and still behind... 3rd gen truck with trans cooler line leak.

20200203_104010.jpg

20200203_104019.jpg

What a pain in the tail. The fuel filter has to come out then the starter. Oh my gawd Mopar really screwed the pooch on this lay out. I've got the long line stuck and can't get it out of the truck yet. Stopped and came home for lunch after being rained on with melting snow and ATF+4.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

More...

So yeah I went back to work on trucks. Still MoparMom is going downhill. This is going to expand more medical appointments. Now this is where Eileen is filling the void she is running MoparMom to her appointments today. I was working on transmission cooler lines and looking for oil smell on another 4the gen...

20200203_143623.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Like today I've got to cancel working and take mom to her medical appointments. Snowing and going to be slick in McCall. I've got the only 4WD vehicle right now till I can get time to fix the 1996 Dodge then I would of just let Eileen take the 1996 Dodge.

15809256728754893276231875500385.jpg

I'm currently buried in more work than I can handle. Between needing time chasing medical offices, paperwork on Power Of Attorneys, and keeping bills paid between the 3 of us. 

I've gotta say thanks to you BoDs for the new Samsung S10+ phone. It's been used a considerable amount already.

Then I've got to pull my transmission again 2and gear synchro is screwing up. Already contacted Weller truck and got to get the 1996 Dodge running first. Then I can visit the other shop and use the 2 post this time. Barely lasted 800 miles.

• Owner

Fluid isn't an issue being that is the fluid he wants used in the transmission for warranty purpose.

Clutch seems to be fine. I can allow the transmission to spin in neutral and press the clutch down and select any gear but 2nd gear. Like the synchro is not working. When I pull it this time I'll pull the clutch and check all bearings and plates.

I bought all synchro in brass but 1st and 2and are carbon fiber. I paid 124 dollars for all new synchro on the main shaft. Being 3rd and 4th last time now it's 2and. So it was R&R last time with new shaft bearings and fresh synchro.

Hydros are working excellent being the pedal only needs half stroke to be fully disengaged. Clutch engagesway high on the pedal.

As for me I'm in McCall dealing with medical appointments. Snowing quite well and depending on where your at it's either a warning or advisory for winter storms.15809344625986254703454916490237.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
On 2/5/2020 at 1:24 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Fluid isn't an issue being that is the fluid he wants used in the transmission for warranty purpose.

Clutch seems to be fine. I can allow the transmission to spin in neutral and press the clutch down and select any gear but 2nd gear. Like the synchro is not working. When I pull it this time I'll pull the clutch and check all bearings and plates.

I bought all synchro in brass but 1st and 2and are carbon fiber. I paid 124 dollars for all new synchro on the main shaft. Being 3rd and 4th last time now it's 2and. So it was R&R last time with new shaft bearings and fresh synchro.

Hydros are working excellent being the pedal only needs half stroke to be fully disengaged. Clutch engagesway high on the pedal.

As for me I'm in McCall dealing with medical appointments. Snowing quite well and depending on where your at it's either a warning or advisory for winter storms.

For your sake I home you're correct... but something isn't right. You've had more troubles with the trans in the last little bit than most ever will. You have a receipt showing all new syncro's from last fall... 

Parts, Fluid,. builder, etc... something is causing you excessive downtime. I hope you figure it out sooner than later, it's a lot of time and money to be wasting. 

• Sad 1

• Owner
1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

Parts, Fluid,. builder, etc... something is causing you excessive downtime. I hope you figure it out sooner than later, it's a lot of time and money to be wasting.

Very true... I paid for the first set of syncros during the 5th gear failure. Then with 3rd / 4th failure I bought again a new set of syncros for 124.00 to replace all the syncros on the main shaft instead of just 3rd and 4th. Now 2nd is being a pain. Fluid would of cause all syncros to fail. Being that 1st and 2nd are carbon fiber. 3rd, 4th, 5th are brass syncros. Same fluid I used the previous time with no issues. So its not a fluid issue. I think it between the rebuilder...  I'll check my clutch when it comes out which I've serious doubts there is any problems there being I stabbed that trans in under 15 minutes this last time. Slid right in all the way without fighting. Clutch pedal only needs 50% swing to be fully disengaged. Being its only a single gear acting goofy I'm betting the syncro is not right. All other gears a slick like butter. Even @Wet Vette has driven after this last rebuild and then drove again after the syncro screw up. 

• Staff

I am curious of the syncros as well. I will be paying attention. My 3rd year syncro was out when I bought the truck. I have been double clutching 3rd to avoid grinding the gear down for now. I want to at some point replace all the syncros and do one of the 5th gear fixes to avoid that problem in the future. Possibly a clutch at the same time.

I don't plan on a bunch of big power mods in the near future just don't want the trans to crap the bed while pulling our camper or something.

• 2 weeks later...