• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2000 5.9 24 v auto trans truck was running ok the only thing it would do is an annoying what I call a searching for gears at low rpm or over drive...so was suggested to apps reset I did here’s where things get crazy problem was solved truck ran perfect for a day then the next day started Rpm real high to change gears and if I feather the pedal it would help now today start truck start going down the road stop at light I have nothing no reverse no forward so I restart truck gears come back over and over now...stumped no codes nothing and cleaned all terminals to battery....Please any ideas...?

Hmmm.  Check the trans fluid?  Is it low, is it burnt, any particles?  When was the last time the trans fluid and filter was done?  Maybe have electronics in trans going out?  Gov pressure selonoid, or transducer???  :shrug:

Hopefully someone more transmission savvy will report in...  :smart:

• Staff

He may have very high or excessive AC voltage ripple from a bad alternator confusing the electronics and the trans sensors. At any rate you will need to complete the modification most of us have had to accomplish. It's in the article section called, 'W-Ts ground wiring mods'. This mod has solved trans hunting problems, but is good for all trucks with a Manual trans as well since it stops harmful excess AC  noise.

You should install the more reliable, higher quality Timbo APPS as well since the factory unit is built so poorly. It will help bullet proof your truck.

Dripley is correct on the trans service and sensor upgrades. The trans filter and fluid needs service every 30,000, so you should get a Georend trans pan to help with that in the future. Do it yourself as I've had the best of them leave me with a leaky trans. It hurts to pay top dollar and get leaks so I do it myself from now on and take my time and always get a premium result. You will need a good inch pounds torque wrench. First time you do it will pay the $180 for the wrench.

• Like 1

• Owner
On 1/2/2020 at 6:12 PM, Bighoss74 said:

2000 5.9 24 v auto trans truck was running ok the only thing it would do is an annoying what I call a searching for gears at low rpm or over drive...so was suggested to apps reset I did here’s where things get crazy problem was solved truck ran perfect for a day then the next day started Rpm real high to change gears and if I feather the pedal it would help now today start truck start going down the road stop at light I have nothing no reverse no forward so I restart truck gears come back over and over now...stumped no codes nothing and cleaned all terminals to battery....Please any ideas...?

W-T ground wire mod... This will fix that problem.

Then here is the PCM protection fuse mod to protect your PCM from damage...

• 2 weeks later...

Update changed everything inside trans pan solved some problem now it seems in limp mode very slow to take off never feel a gear change If I start out in manual first switch to second it won’t switch if I switch to Drive switches if I’m in drive and drop down to second or first it changes gears reverse is fine no overdrive  tps is new I’ve tried everything I could think of ...My truck ran fine until I did that TPS reset has been a nightmare ever sense 

On 1/5/2020 at 9:03 AM, JAG1 said:

He may have very high or excessive AC voltage ripple from a bad alternator confusing the electronics and the trans sensors. At any rate you will need to complete the modification most of us have had to accomplish. It's in the article section called, 'W-Ts ground wiring mods'. This mod has solved trans hunting problems, but is good for all trucks with a Manual trans as well since it stops harmful excess AC  noise.

You should install the more reliable, higher quality Timbo APPS as well since the factory unit is built so poorly. It will help bullet proof your truck.

Dripley is correct on the trans service and sensor upgrades. The trans filter and fluid needs service every 30,000, so you should get a Georend trans pan to help with that in the future. Do it yourself as I've had the best of them leave me with a leaky trans. It hurts to pay top dollar and get leaks so I do it myself from now on and take my time and always get a premium result. You will need a good inch pounds torque wrench. First time you do it will pay the $180 for the wrench.

@Bighoss74 have you checked and done everything in this post

• Staff

Sounds like there is no power from the transmission control relay.

Check for power at terminal 30 and 86 of the relay for power whit the key in the on position and go from there.

Test this circuit.  

Scan_20190623.jpg.47fea34aec6420a711f97119e510f3f2.jpg

• Owner
11 hours ago, Bighoss74 said:

it’s an auto trans will the bd noise insulation

Ditch that... Pull it off and throw it in the trash. BD noise filter is not going to fix the problem but mask it so the AC noise burns up your VP44 and ECM.  Do the W-T ground wire mod and the PCM protection fuse mod. Problem solved!

Just for personal reference. My 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 the diode pack in the alternator gave up yesterday. The trip started as normal then the TQ converter lock and unlock started. Just thought oh the common AC noise issue. I figure I could limp on that for the day and make it to Ontario and just replace the alternator. Nope... It got so bad it was pull it down into 2nd gear while rolling. I double check all fluids everything was full and no issues. I ended up limping back home 65 miles at a mere 30 to 35 MPH top speed.