• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Squeal/siren noise! Please help!!!

• Staff

It is supposed to not move in any direction, mine are tight all ways. Sounds like you have some dry U joints

Evan, I can hear it. It even changes a few notes near the end of the Vid. I've never heard anything like it. worn Ujoints sometimes give vibration in the seat not a high note squeal so I'm not sure. Be care ful going near spinning wheels I worry about folks getting hurt.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

May be a stupid idea but, could you have a buddy tow you in neutral, engine off to listen for the squeal? That way it will isolate axles, u-joints and carrier from engine/trans. Just an idea...

I listened to the video again and again, could it be a leaking rubber coupler on the boost side? Maybe leaking just enough to whistle? Just throwing ideas out trying to help.

So I noticed something else, when I do put it in neutral while coasting, the sound is no longer rpm related. 

28 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

It is supposed to not move in any direction, mine are tight all ways. Sounds like you have some dry U joints

Evan, I can hear it. It even changes a few notes near the end of the Vid. I've never heard anything like it. worn Ujoints sometimes give vibration in the seat not a high note squeal so I'm not sure. Be care ful going near spinning wheels I worry about folks getting hurt.

It’s the weirdest sound. It changes so much sometimes it literally sounds like a harmonica!

25 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

May be a stupid idea but, could you have a buddy tow you in neutral, engine off to listen for the squeal? That way it will isolate axles, u-joints and carrier from engine/trans. Just an idea...

I listened to the video again and again, could it be a leaking rubber coupler on the boost side? Maybe leaking just enough to whistle? Just throwing ideas out trying to help.

Im out of state at the moment and don’t know anyone with a truck or I’d give it a shot! I tried to find any boost leaks but could not. 

41 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

THANKS! So I think I’m getting closer! I was going about 15, put it in neutral and shut the truck off, noise was still there...what’s that tell me?  

Not my video or truck but is almost exactly the same amount of play. Maybe a little less.

• Staff

Okay, I thought you had play in the U joints. My bad. I believe the wear on that carrier bearing is just a rubber bushing/ sleeve. I believe you could get home okay if not too far. Unless the rubber spins in there, which I doubt, but if it is could be the squeal we are hearing.:shrug:

How many miles on that truck?

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Okay, I thought you had play in the U joints. My bad. I believe the wear on that carrier bearing is just a rubber bushing/ sleeve. I believe you could get home okay if not too far. Unless the rubber spins in there, which I doubt, but if it is could be the squeal we are hearing.:shrug:

How many miles on that truck?

317,000 miles...I’m replacing it in the morning so I guess I’ll see what happens then.

So the noise most likely is not from the carrier bearing? 

What about where the driveshaft connects to the transfer case? Or overdrive housing...I noticed a little transmission fluid leaking and dripping off the seal right there.

• Staff

Pull that plug that faces rearward on the transfer case and see if full of ATF. Should be full to the plug.

The carrier bearing could be the noise, just not sure. I think if you had a hill you could place the transfer case and trans in neutral and let her coast with the window down. With the trans and transfer case in neutral I believe nothing forward of the transfer case would be turning so you could tell that way.

Pull the front driveline off and drive it.

Eliminate that atleast.

Check for rocks between rotor and dust sheild.

You've eliminated transmission and transfer and motor.

Have you actually done anything. Looked t dust shields? Pressure wash it. Spun the front wheels by hand?

It will let you know soon enough but in mean time you yet to listen to horrible noise. 

1 hour ago, Evan said:

Pull the front driveline off and drive it.

Eliminate that atleast.

Check for rocks between rotor and dust sheild.

You've eliminated transmission and transfer and motor.

Have you actually done anything. Looked t dust shields? Pressure wash it. Spun the front wheels by hand?

It will let you know soon enough but in mean time you yet to listen to horrible noise. 

All wheel bearings seemed fine. I already removed the front driveshaft to eliminate that and check all the dust covers. Nothing. I’ll go to a hill today, try it with transfer case and tranny in neutral and let you guys know what happens

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Pull that plug that faces rearward on the transfer case and see if full of ATF. Should be full to the plug.

The carrier bearing could be the noise, just not sure. I think if you had a hill you could place the transfer case and trans in neutral and let her coast with the window down. With the trans and transfer case in neutral I believe nothing forward of the transfer case would be turning so you could tell that way.

Its been leaking quit I bit lately. If I park a little uphill it leaks a lot. A little down hill it doesn't at all. 

But I do check it every couple days and keep it topped off 

Edited by ColoradoColt

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Boost leak? I've seen boost leaks create all kinds of whistles, whines and noises...

Ive tried finding one but couldn’t, definitely a possibility that I missed it tho....Thats what I’m starting to think because I have no power or shifting issues 

The last time I was experiencing a harmonic sound like that, it was in my work truck (Freightliner) you could only hear it in the cab, and it was rpm related. and the noise just started during a trip, I even called a mobile mechanic to meet me at a truck stop, we could not pin point it in the engine bay or anything. you could only hear it from in the cab and it vibrated the seat too and sounded like it was coming from exhaust, mechanic said probably the exhaust resonator came apart ( I didn’t even know I had resonator in the exhaust) but I went with it and decided to finish my trip and live with the noise, it seemed to help with the window rolled down, but about an hour into it and almost top of wolf creek pass, it let go and I immediately figured it out, lost a few gallons of oil in about 10 seconds until my engine shut down. I will enclose a pic of what happens when exhaust side of turbo blows out. 

DE950698-772A-479B-940F-4839B1E9504F.jpegAnd truck was running fine and no loss of power except for the noise, you couldn’t even here it through the turbo 

Edited by 01cummins4ever
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 01cummins4ever said:

The last time I was experiencing a harmonic sound like that, it was in my work truck (Freightliner) you could only hear it in the cab, and it was rpm related. and the noise just started during a trip, I even called a mobile mechanic to meet me at a truck stop, we could not pin point it in the engine bay or anything. you could only hear it from in the cab and it vibrated the seat too and sounded like it was coming from exhaust, mechanic said probably the exhaust resonator came apart ( I didn’t even know I had resonator in the exhaust) but I went with it and decided to finish my trip and live with the noise, it seemed to help with the window rolled down, but about an hour into it and almost top of wolf creek pass, it let go and I immediately figured it out, lost a few gallons of oil in about 10 seconds until my engine shut down. I will enclose a pic of what happens when exhaust side of turbo blows out. 

DE950698-772A-479B-940F-4839B1E9504F.jpegAnd truck was running fine and no loss of power except for the noise, you couldn’t even here it through the turbo 

736EECA0-9BC4-4AE5-AACE-80438519149E.jpeg

C3A117C4-A3B8-4802-8960-30C978CF32EA.jpeg

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Boost leak? I've seen boost leaks create all kinds of whistles, whines and noises...

Could this make that noise?736EECA0-9BC4-4AE5-AACE-80438519149E.jpeg.0583860aafada2b3a3b652c0ae90233b.jpegC3A117C4-A3B8-4802-8960-30C978CF32EA.jpeg.319430f3f36a621b015247fde377634f.jpeg

Coasting in drive or neutral generates no boost pressure. The engine has to be under some load the generate boost pressure. How is the play in your turbo? Can move the shaft up and down or in and out? I noticed in one of your pics of the exhaust side seems to have some of the soot rubbed off of the wheel.

Fingers maybe? Not sure what could rub it off in the turbo. Compressor wheel rubbing maybe?

On 1/7/2020 at 8:02 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I just got done driving about 20 miles, felt all the rotors and drums to feel for overheating, and noticed every drum and rotor is hot except the rear driver side. It’s cold to the touch