• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front brake pad life, auto trans

Just a post about auto trans vs manual trans and brake pad life

I just put the new front pads and calipers on my truck.....There were only 25,000 on those pads. Pass side with sticky caliper wore way more. could have gone 30k maybe. Drivers side had plenty left....I just wanted to get this sticky caliper fixed

. If both sides wore evenly with good calipers I might get 40k on front pads at most, with my Automatic trans... These are just semi metallic auto zone Dura last pads..... I use semi metallics because hey are easier on my rotors

These auto trans trucks really eat brakes..... Im always on them brake trying to keep it slowed down with these 3:50 gears and OD..... I can see why a manual / clutch truck would be way easier on brakes and a jack brake even better

Edited by GSP7

• Staff

I drive a lot by coasting up to the stops and my pads last at least 60,000 on both automatic trucks. I leave a lot of room in front sort of hang back just a little. It filters out the tailgators and speeders that get up ahead to click the lights green for me by the time I get there. :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Before my exhaust brake I got 50kto 60k out of front brakes. Sometimes I drive like @JAG1 and other times not. Some times I downshift and get a little engine braking but a turbo charged engine does not give as much engine braking as a naturally aspirated engine does.

I drive like Jag too

Tailgaters..... I drive even slower

What kind of pads are you guys using?

Maybe these DuraLast semi metallics just wear out fast

Edited by GSP7

• Staff

I use the least expensive from O'Reillys. Based on Mopar1973Man advice I try to get the least metallic pads I can find, but they all pretty much some metallic these days. My rotors are staying good BTW.

Edited by JAG1

I have used the cheapest and semi metalic. The semis are are alittle harsher on the rotors. Right now I have ceramic pads on anf they are holding up well but are harsher on the rotors. So much I will have to change the rotors when the pads go. Probably wont use them again. I got them in a package deal from Rock Auto for cheap so maybe the rotors are not that good. I have about 45k on them and they are about 50% gone and this is without my EB. Also I drive alot of highway miles. About 2 to 1 right now.

• Owner

Economy brake pads here... (180k to 200k)

Then my front rotors lasted for 350k miles. Rear rotors where replaced sooner for the top hat brake (parking brake was worn) at about 300k miles. Majority of my stopping is done with my exhaust brake. I only use the service brakes to hold position like on a slope. I typically get 180k to 200k miles from brake pads. I typically only use service brakes below 25 MPH at this point exhaust brake is worthless. Economy pads do not eat up the rotors like premium pads or ceramic pads. 

Automatics you have to think way ahead and gear down accordingly to make it work and also a good torque converter controller. This also requires the transmission to be able to lock up in all forward gears for a exhaust brake to work. Typically the stock transmission will only lock in 3rd and 4th gear. This put more braking effort on the service brake than the exhaust brake. 

I agree with mike on the auto’s. exhaust brakes can be used, just more involved and expensive on the 47re, without the ability to lock up torque converter it would not be effective and just generate heat. a modified valve body and a smart controller or a lock up switch may be the way to go.

pulling heavy I think it is worth it, especially on the safety side, but just for a truck pulling its own weight, not sure if it’s worth it. You can buy a lot of brake pads for the cost of an exhaust brake, 

9 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I drive a lot by coasting up to the stops and my pads last at least 60,000 on both automatic trucks.

I get the exact same wear as @JAG160k on the fronts and 2 to 1 on the rears.  I believe it depends mostly on how you drive and only partly on pad quality.

I've ridden with people before who treated the gas and brake pedals like on/off switches and felt so sorry for their vehicle.  That's the kinda guy who trades up every 2 years before things succumb to the abuse...has never changed pads before and has the perpetual car note.:spend:

Edited by Bullet
  • Like 1

• Staff
5 hours ago, Bullet said:

I get the exact same wear as @JAG160k on the fronts and 2 to 1 on the rears.  I believe it depends mostly on how you drive and only partly on pad quality.

I've ridden with people before who treated the gas and brake pedals like on/off switches and felt so sorry for their vehicle.  That's the kinda guy who trades up every 2 years before things succumb to the abuse...has never changed pads before and has the perpetual car note.:spend:

LOL, I've seen a lot of the folks speed up to go around just to hurry up to the red light and stop. It like there is only brakes or throttle nothin in between. On a long run they must wonder why the hell they're all wore out.

• Like 1

• Owner
5 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

It's getting ridiculous driving in bigger city's, everyone in an auto and on the gass pedal. So many times I've almost been rear-ended when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I feel that day is getting closer :pray:

Hmmm... Wonder why I never have that issues running between Boise, ID and Ontario, OR. ??? :think:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

It's getting ridiculous driving in bigger city's, everyone in an auto and on the gass pedal. So many times I've almost been rear-ended when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I feel that day is getting closer :pray:

I have that issue too. Its like they think you are in a drag race. I launch in 2nd and when I go to 3rd they disappear behind my tailgate.

• Like 1

• Staff

First set of front brake pad replaced at around 43,000 miles; next set at 87,174 (Centrix Posi Quiet).   The Centrix were replaced with Bendix Fleet Metlok pads  9/19/19 at 113,147 miles.  The truck is used to tow an 8k LB 5th wheel 95% of the time.  I wanted a stick shift but my wife had bad knees at the time and couldn't work a clutch.  

1868216599_The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street-Meme1.jpg.31f3ff4ddabb3bda0632a9d5f07d55a2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Staff

MoparMan thinks I'm total dead beat cause I drive like Grampa with a checkbook in my pocket and an automatic transmission. You know what?.... I thinks he's right..... Whats a deadbeat look like anyhow?

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1