• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front brake pad life, auto trans

On 1/7/2020 at 12:10 AM, GSP7 said:

Just a post about auto trans vs manual trans and brake pad life

I just put the new front pads and calipers on my truck.....There were only 25,000 on those pads. Pass side with sticky caliper wore way more. could have gone 30k maybe. Drivers side had plenty left....I just wanted to get this sticky caliper fixed

. If both sides wore evenly with good calipers I might get 40k on front pads at most, with my Automatic trans... These are just semi metallic auto zone Dura last pads..... I use semi metallics because hey are easier on my rotors

These auto trans trucks really eat brakes..... Im always on them brake trying to keep it slowed down with these 3:50 gears and OD..... I can see why a manual / clutch truck would be way easier on brakes and a jack brake even better

A word of note, I have had the same issues with my 99. And I had to grind the passenger caliper down to increase the room between the calipers ans the C knuckle/hub.

Before I did that I may have gotten 20,000 out of a set of pads.

I guarantee that if you measure it you'll see the calipers are binding against the C knuckle. It took me a long time of trial and error to realize this. I believe that your issue is the same as mine was. The spacing between the metal brackets that the caliper slides in between of is to narrow on allot of reman calipers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

On which side?

I'll have to look to be sure. I figured it was a binding caliper but new calipers, hoses, cleaned slides didn't fix it. And the wheel doesn't drag either. I've noticed variations in the re-man calipers I've gotten over the years.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:36 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Hmmm... Wonder why I never have that issues running between Boise, ID and Ontario, OR. ??? :think:

Hey moparman.... I havent been to Boise area in several years..... I here about all the people moving there and there is some traffic now ? 

Hows the drive on 84 going west out of boise? Or 44 or 26?  Traffic?

I lived in Emmett for awhile and Sand hollow area off Oasis and old hwy 30

Is that boise, nampa, coldwell, area getting crowded ?

• Owner
11 hours ago, GSP7 said:

Hey moparman.... I havent been to Boise area in several years..... I here about all the people moving there and there is some traffic now ? 

Hows the drive on 84 going west out of boise? Or 44 or 26?  Traffic?

I lived in Emmett for awhile and Sand hollow area off Oasis and old hwy 30

Is that boise, nampa, coldwell, area getting crowded ?

Yes to all the above crowded and crazy. Ontario, OR is full if illegal mexicans, and homeless. Boise is just full of crazy nuts.

I84 is bad any business day near Caldwell to Boise. West is ok but you have to fight off the slow truckers. I run the I84 back and forth to the Nampa area for @Wet Vette meds and stuff in storage down there. She also has family and friends in the Nampa / Boise area.

The U95 isn't too bad good flow of traffic to Weiser, ID then after that it thins out really well. 

Like this morning I'm looking at the roads and they suck...

02AC1991_F90FDF6A_cam1.jpg

... and I'm headed to Ontario, OR this morning... Oh what fun! :rolleyes:

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Sad 1

• Staff

The cities and surrounding areas are  getting crazy everywhere. That's why you moved out in the Boonies, right Mike?

Speaking of Boonies......The land I bought was owned by one of Daniel Boones' descendants, AL Boone. Daniel Boone settled this area long ago and operated a ferry across the Willamette river, before any bridges were built, about 15 miles from me.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Speaking of Boonies......The land I bought was owned by one of Daniel Boones' descendants, AL Boone. Daniel Boone settled this area long ago and operated a ferry across the Willamette river, before any bridges were built, about 15 miles from me.

I know of Boone's Ferry Rd but didn't put 2 and 2 together.  Pretty cool.

Edit:

I had to look it up.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boones_Ferry

Edited by hdpwipmonkey
had to share
  • Like 1

• Staff
8 minutes ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

I know of Boone's Ferry Rd but didn't put 2 and 2 together.  Pretty cool.

The ferry was near the bridge on I-5 just south of the Wilsonville exit and is called Boone Bridge today.

Edited by JAG1

12 hours ago, JAG1 said:

The ferry was near the bridge on I-5 just south of the Wilsonville exit and is called Boone Bridge today.

Well I'll be darned.  Wondered where that name came from.  Always figured a lot of names in the NW came from something in the past.  I grew up on Sauvies Island and that goes back to Lewis and Clark although not necessarily that configuration.  Over in the couve we have Mill plain, 4th plain blvds and others like that.  Sure it's same thing

• Like 1

• Owner

Pffft... This ain't nothing... I'm still running 2WD most of the time. I've got about 1.5 feet roughly here. Still since 1996 I've still not chain up either truck yet even once. I've got a brand new set off snow chains with the black paint yet. 

Biggest secret is the 215's I'm running on the 1996 Dodge has excellent traction even in snow with 2WD. Then the 2002 is about the same the 245's are doing excellent as well but I have to turn the Quadzilla down to level 2 or Level 3 just to keep from over powering the tires. Still capable of running 2WD most of the time. 

Also weighed out the truck axles and remathed the tire pressures. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1