• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front brake pad life, auto trans

2 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Water sports at dripleys house.

1758659895_image-2061.jpg.6ff608b9b9a6dc0af4357083204f6777.jpg

This is what retired free ranger chickens in their spare time.

47 minutes ago, Evan said:

Desert snow

20200111_171154.jpg

I think the chicken foot on the front end got him messed up.

Edited by dripley
  • Haha 3

Since were talking tires sleds and brakes. I just grooved my basically bald tires. This made huge improvement on snow. Ive also aired down to eat some shoulder. These tires are not quite to 50k .Being in 4wd keeps the truck ging straight hen 47re shifts to 2nd gear. 

My rotors and pads are some kinda ceramic voodoo pad and napa rotors show little wear after 45k this is towing off and on. Sometimes with no trailer brakes.

Rotors are consumable mostly not even worth 30bucks a rotor to turn them.

These my go the life of the truck and stopping power is pretty darn good. I do roll up to all stop lights like I'm in big truck maybe that's why my pads and rotors last. The 47re also has a fair amount of braking and down shifts well. I've drove trucks with exhaust brakes and never thought they were the nats as for  slowing down but when your at 32k your slowing way before you get to the stop

Hes a she, christine and seems to fight the machine in deep snow.

If it's only 2ft deep shel find the 4ft drifts to get stuck in.

20200113_122941.jpg

20200111_165726.jpg

20200111_165359.jpg

20200113_130000.jpg

Edited by Evan
  • Like 1

One thing to check.  My truck (99 2500) has a rear ride height valve that controls how much the rear brakes are used.  On the rear axle, left side.  The lower the body sits in relation to the axle (heavy load in the bed) the more rear brakes are used.  

On mine, I was getting almost no rear brake wear/function so I put in a bypass.  Really cut down on my front pad wear.

I also went to cryo treated front rotors as I often heat warped them.  Helped a lot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tow a lot and bypassed the rear brake load sensing valve because it was leaking. I also put in the 33 mm brake cylinders  in the rear and new axle seals the truck stops great now and brake pads last much longer. It will lock up the rear running empty  easier  but I let the ABS deal with it.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 9:27 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Economy brake pads here... (180k to 200k)

Then my front rotors lasted for 350k miles. Rear rotors where replaced sooner for the top hat brake (parking brake was worn) at about 300k miles. Majority of my stopping is done with my exhaust brake. I only use the service brakes to hold position like on a slope. I typically get 180k to 200k miles from brake pads. I typically only use service brakes below 25 MPH at this point exhaust brake is worthless. Economy pads do not eat up the rotors like premium pads or ceramic pads. 

Automatics you have to think way ahead and gear down accordingly to make it work and also a good torque converter controller. This also requires the transmission to be able to lock up in all forward gears for a exhaust brake to work. Typically the stock transmission will only lock in 3rd and 4th gear. This put more braking effort on the service brake than the exhaust brake. 

Good info Moparman!  Great timing on this thread since I'm planning a brake job soon. So basically your goin with pads that have very little or no metallic or ceramic content? And that helps extend the life of the rotors?  Which engine brake are you running? I'll be getting an engine brake in the future once I can afford it.

Also, any recommendation on rotor brand? I can't seem to find any that are made in usa.  I'm sure this topic is debatable but I'm not a big fan of chineese brake rotors.

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Ironforger said:

Good info Moparman!  Great timing on this thread since I'm planning a brake job soon. So basically your goin with pads that have very little or no metallic or ceramic content? And that helps extend the life of the rotors?  Which engine brake are you running? I'll be getting an engine brake in the future once I can afford it.

Also, any recommendation on rotor brand? I can't seem to find any that are made in usa.  I'm sure this topic is debatable but I'm not a big fan of chineese brake rotors.

Thanks!

I have a pacbrake and having tested it on other trucks it is amazing. I have one in my truck now. The question is when will my truck be running lol

You have a manual truck so your good with that. If you can get your hands on an older Jacobbs brake you would be good with that too. 

As for rotors get ones that are more then the bottom end. Bee happy you have slip on rotors! Lol

• Like 2

• Owner
38 minutes ago, Ironforger said:

So basically your goin with pads that have very little or no metallic or ceramic content?

Yes. The more metallics or ceramics in the pad causes more wear on the rotors. 

40 minutes ago, Ironforger said:

And that helps extend the life of the rotors? 

Absolutely... My factory OEM rotors lasted 350k miles.

41 minutes ago, Ironforger said:

Which engine brake are you running?

The Jacobs brake provided by Dodge Dealer back in 2002. If I was to purchase one today I would buy the PacBrake PRXB which I would consider the best you could get today.

43 minutes ago, Ironforger said:

I'm sure this topic is debatable but I'm not a big fan of chineese brake rotors.

Just remember 99% of everything is manufacture in China or similar. 

• Like 1

Great info, thanks Moparman!

That pacbrake PRXB looks pretty sweet! Adding it to my wishlist along with changing my axle ratio from 4.10 to 3.54.

35 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

I have a pacbrake and having tested it on other trucks it is amazing. I have one in my truck now. The question is when will my truck be running lol

You have a manual truck so your good with that. If you can get your hands on an older Jacobbs brake you would be good with that too. 

As for rotors get ones that are more then the bottom end. Bee happy you have slip on rotors! Lol

Great info, Thanks Pepsi!