• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Electrical Gremlins (CCD Data Bus Issues)

Might as well get the embarrassing part out of the way first, I tried to take a shortcut while wiring up my new radio and majorly messed up. While hooking up the steering wheel control adaptor I grounded what I assumed was just one of the two wires going to the steering wheel buttons. You know what they say about assumptions. What I actually grounded was the positive side of the CCD circuit. When I turned the key on I got the no bus message on the odometer along with the other symptoms that come with that, but the truck did start. Naturally I put all of the wiring back the way it was, but now the truck only cranks but never fires. So I can either have a running truck with no gauges, no cruise, no overhead console, etc. or I can have working gauges but a non-running truck. I'm hoping someone here knows what I possibly could have damaged by grounding the + CCD wire that would cause the truck to not fire.

On the plus side the radio works well.

16 minutes ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

If you arc'd something the first thing I'd do is start checking fuses.  Chances are you popped one.

Checked all of them that I know of.

Something else that I should add. Even with the wiring back to factory I can't communicate with the "body control module" as the scan tool has it labled, which I would assume is the CTM. I do have the correct voltages (around 2.4-2.5) at pins 3 and 11 on the OBDII port though.

19 minutes ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

There is a fuse panel in cab on left side of dash and also under the hood.  Those are the only 2 locations that I know of.  If you checked all the fuses in those locations then I guess that isn't the issue.

Yeah sadly I don't think it's that simple. I don't think the wires I messed with even carry enough current to blow any of the fuses in either of the main fuse boxes as they only carry digital signals. Thanks for offering the help though.

@NorthernDodge, just be patient - you will probably get a reply from some knowledgeable people shortly.  Do you have a wiring diagram available?  If you do, you may be able to figure out which control module is being affected. 

Wiring diagrams can be a bit complex, but at least you have a good radio to listen to while you work on the problem.

- John

• Staff

I sent positive dc throughout my grounding system once by accident. I was unaware that I was so tired and made the mistake. I cannot remember the problems I had but it was with all the gauges either not working or working erratic. I was completely freaked out as I had just bought the truck with 30 k miles on it still under warranty. Mopar man suggested I disconnect my batteries for a half an hour. It was wonderful when everything went back to normal. I hope it works for you too. :pray:

Important that I also mention about those square fuses with the square window be tested instead of only looked at because they can look good even though actually burnt.

Edited by JAG1

This is from my 2001 manual.  notice how joint connector 7 connects the systems.  According to the radio page, you could have taken out the CTM. 

The CTM controls the security relay, so something wonky going on could make the truck think it is being stolen.

HTH

Hag

2001 FSM Ram 8W-47-4.pdf 2001 FSM Ram 8W-18-3.pdf 2001 FSM Ram 8W-18-4.pdf

Edited by Haggar
added security relay note