• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quad and assassin

Ordered both a Quad and Assassin last week, just waiting for them to arrive, it will be an ouch on the import duty and tax into the UK but thats life i'm afraid.

Going to fit the Fuel transfer pump first, looking forward to getting shut of the electric thing. Not interested in getting on the more power bus with the quad just want to build a good mpg towing tune thats clean. One city 15 miles from me is going carbon neutral within the next few years which means a total ban on diesel vehicles, this can only get worse here so clean as me thinks. If that fails sell the cummins back into USA and spend the £ on my gas ram ☺ 

No need for an electric pump anywhere in the system with a mechanical pump, don’t matter if it’s an Assassin or fuel boss, They don’t loose prime ( unless you have a leak ) even after initial installation priming is as simple as pre fueling the filter with filtered fuel or spinning the fuel pump with something like an electric drill. regardless, the mechanical won’t  leave you sitting or chasing electrical bugs 

10 hours ago, wil440 said:

One city 15 miles from me is going carbon neutral within the next few years which means a total ban on diesel vehicles, 

Sad 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 01cummins4ever said:

No need for an electric pump anywhere in the system with a mechanical pump, don’t matter if it’s an Assassin or fuel boss, They don’t loose prime ( unless you have a leak ) even after initial installation priming is as simple as pre fueling the filter with filtered fuel or spinning the fuel pump with something like an electric drill. regardless, the mechanical won’t  leave you sitting or chasing electrical bugs 

Sad 

I have several options for a priming pump if required but  I can't really see the need either, one option is a Cat filter head with a priming plunger in the filter head, this type is fitted to Cat 330D excavators and no doubt a lot of other cat machines before they too went electric, cat went electric lift pump not because they are better but they needed to be able to turn on and off the DPF diesel supply so electric pump with a DPF supply solenoid.

The city diesel ban is the 2nd in England... first was Bristol, one near me is Nottingham and of course you have to pay to drive an older vehicle into london anyway, don't know the details on london as I'd rather eat glass than go there so no knowledge

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just wait till the day you have an air leak or lose prime while you out... You'll never get it started.

how do you figure that out ??  I have access to every Cat filter head they ever made with manual primers/ 12v prime pumps/24v prime pumps, every Cat fuel system and all parts and Cat SIS and Volvo Prosis, sooner I get shut of the electric pump the better

• Like 1

• Owner

Not the only time I've seen that happen. Lots of people jump to mechanical pumps then it hits with lack of prime or air leak and the mechanical pump won't reprime or pump till it refilled with fuel.

Remember I work with many people not just here on the web site. I do work in two different shops and many different vehicles.

You might have that covered with a CAT filter but most just keep the stock filter.

I think you'll be just fine with mechanical pump, if I did more research when I bought my Fass I'd probably have a mechanical right now. 

You can tune pretty well with quad to be smokeless. It's truly sad how we can be forced into submission.

Good luck to all of us with what's to come.

Losing prime on a diesel doesn't bother me in the slightest only been a heavy diesel mechanic for 42 years and supervisor of a heavy plant workshop for the last 5 years. If I does lose prime which it wont i'll fix the reason

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Not the only time I've seen that happen. Lots of people jump to mechanical pumps then it hits with lack of prime or air leak and the mechanical pump won't reprime or pump till it refilled with fuel.

Remember I work with many people not just here on the web site. I do work in two different shops and many different vehicles.

You might have that covered with a CAT filter but most just keep the stock filter.

I fitted a Cat filer head just after I got the truck, also got 2 other cat heads of which 1 is a water seperator and filter the other has a little 12v primer built in but if I think it needs prime I would prefer the slightly older cat head with mechanical prime but I doubt I'll need it.... we'll see

quad and assassin arrived today also got a older style Cat fuel filter head with plunger primer that Cat used before going electric primer pump. Got to put a track on a Cat 390 excavator tomorrow at work so won't be starting the job tomorrow

@wil440  Do you mind sharing what filter head and filter you use?
I have been pondering with installing a hand primer at the inlet of stock canister, not a pressing issue, but one of these days will get around to it. Just haven't found one yet That looks simple enough to install 

I haven’t had the need to prime when I change filters, I just drain the factory canister before I remove the old filter then put the new one in dry, then fire truck up, their is enough fuel in the injection system to start and filter primes it’s self. Truck usually chugs a little  before filter fills up, but been pretty lucky so far. 

On 1/14/2020 at 4:02 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

I've never read anything about mechanical pump failure, please link me to those threads. I've read thousands of threads of folks having problems with electric lift pumps of all brands. I built my truck for dependability & that's what I have. Now if I can just figure out my battery drain I'll be happy.

15 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

@wil440  Do you mind sharing what filter head and filter you use?
I have been pondering with installing a hand primer at the inlet of stock canister, not a pressing issue, but one of these days will get around to it. Just haven't found one yet That looks simple enough to install 

I haven’t had the need to prime when I change filters, I just drain the factory canister before I remove the old filter then put the new one in dry, then fire truck up, their is enough fuel in the injection system to start and filter primes it’s self. Truck usually chugs a little  before filter fills up, but been pretty lucky so far. 

I'll post pictures of my filterhead and primer later today..... after work. 

7 hours ago, cumminsdog said:

I've never read anything about mechanical pump failure, please link me to those threads. I've read thousands of threads of folks having problems with electric lift pumps of all brands. I built my truck for dependability & that's what I have. Now if I can just figure out my battery drain I'll be happy.

Only thing I've read is bits from the install holding reg open on first start. Like the looks of the pump and while I have read the forum posts on DTT it all looks super easy to fit

Cat part numbers are

Filter head 237-9312

Primer 569-4607

There is also a primer adaptor that changes the angle of the primer, part number4N-9624

I'll get pictures later 

One head used on ebay USA now

Edited by wil440

Here's a picture of the cat filter head and primer, the primer bolts to the front of the filter and cat have an adaptor to change the angle of the primer to suit different applications, it's basically a peice of aluminium with the same flange as the filter and primer but it is at an offset angle, I'm going to mount the head where the original fitted and where I have a Cat filter without primer fitted now and I think the primer will be just to the side of the intake tube

20200119_132611[1].jpg

20200119_132622[1].jpg

20200119_132647[1].jpg

• Like 1

I haven't up to now but I have a Cat seperator to fit while i'm doing the FP and quad. Also got to drop the tank to do suction so I'll see if there is water and decide then

I'd say due to using long Cat filters and the head and filter thats on at the moment being for much larger engines any water is stuck in the bottom of the filter but as the whole lot is coming off this week I'm going to do it right

That is a lot of filter for our application. That primer will come in handy to fuel it up when servicing, but it looks like it will do the job, I believe that’s a 4 micron filter.

Although I don’t think it would work for me, being that I need the heated fuel canister for the winter time I do like having the ability to drain water in the factory canister too. But in 18 years I’ve never seen the water in fuel light on either and I have tested it to see if it works and it does.