• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil change interval

8 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Not even sure diesel will be legal then.

Hey stop stealing my lines :shifty:

Edit

All kidding aside, I think diesel may become illegal for general public sooner than we think. I'm thinking like 15-20 years tops. I know it sounds crazy but I'm willing to gamble.

Edited by Dieselfuture

• Owner
13 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Beautiful country moparman. Love the view. Why the v8 truck for now? If you don't mind me asking.

Price of gasoline drop hard in Idaho.  $2.479 to $2.559 a gallon vs $3.259 or $3.459 a gallon for diesel. Not to mention I've gotta pull the transmission again. Weller truck only rebuilt 5th gear. All the other gear have worn syncros. I use a lot of 3rd and 4th in the city. Now between all that is going on here with medical issues and weather I'm delayed on pull the transmission. 

11 hours ago, Blueox01 said:

I like to be able to keep track of my mileage, hoping I can get a dealer to zero it out. If not might take you up on it.

I can't be zero'ed out. The odometer goes to 999,999 miles and then stops right there. You would have to send the cluster in to be zero by a rebuilder. @cajflynn is the one that found that out. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

My '98 24V Cummins sees about 6,000 - 7,000 miles per year. I tow my RV in the summer. I run Caterpillar DEO 5W40 full synthetic oil. I change my oil annually. Every October just before winter. I take an oil sample in about April, and another in Oct at the time I drain the old oil. I send it in to a lab for analysis. The lab tells me what's going on with my oil and engine internals. Oxidation is a good one to watch, aside from wear metals. I have no concerns and am not guessing when to change my oil.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Price of gasoline drop hard in Idaho.  $2.479 to $2.559 a gallon vs $3.259 or $3.459 a gallon for diesel. Not to mention I've gotta pull the transmission again. Weller truck only rebuilt 5th gear. All the other gear have worn syncros. I use a lot of 3rd and 4th in the city. Now between all that is going on here with medical issues and weather I'm delayed on pull the transmission. 

I can't be zero'ed out. The odometer goes to 999,999 miles and then stops right there. You would have to send the cluster in to be zero by a rebuilder. @cajflynn is the one that found that out. 

Not according to this article  https://blog.cargurus.com/2015/11/13/watch-out-new-devices-roll-back-digital-odometers. 

Edited by Blueox01

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Your probably smart enough to do it.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Reprogramming+an+odometer&view=detail&mid=42BF41F59ED78FBCF6A842BF41F59ED78FBCF6A8&FORM=VIRE

5 minutes ago, dripley said:

Or just put a used one in. I put mine in and now I only have 133k on the clock.

The Driving I do I would really like to keep track of my TRUE (or within a few hundred) miles, watching that video looks like all I would need to do is soldier in a new chip, that should be at zero.

8 minutes ago, dripley said:

Or just put a used one in. I put mine in and now I only have 133k on the clock.

What you want for the spare cluster you have?

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

@cajflynn is our record holder at 1.3 million miles on a 53 block 2nd Gen. Oil changes every 20k miles.

Yea, I know, my 53 block cracked at 450K, but you can sure see the difference in the new block I got where they built it up where they would crack. I could probably stretch my oil changes out since they're mostly highway, but I've been trying to do it at about every 10-12K 

Keep tabs on that 6 speed fluid level. Lost 4th in mine due to complacency and not checking the level. About $3k for a good rebuild. But they will last with proper care. Just like the truck.

Guess I left out the other fluid levels too. The tranny was the one bit me. Just harder to keep tabs on.

Edited by dripley