• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tool Talk...

JAG1

I am by no means an expert, I've used a few at work, but it might depend on the surface material you are checking temperature on, and the temperature range of accuracy you are looking for. Maybe even distance away from the object. Some of the better IR devices allow you to select an emissivity number to adjust based on the material.

• Like 1

I like the idea of one that shows ambient temperature at the same time though. Are you more or less just looking for spot checks that a laser dot would be good for, or like an IR camera that you can capture images of? I know you can spend crazy amounts of money on IR cameras, tens of thousands, from brands like Fluke and FLIR. But I'm sure there are knock off brands more suitable to have at home that wouldn't destroy the wallet.

• Staff

Probably the spot checks is best for mechanical work. Checking for hot calipers or wheel bearings. Nice to be able to check how each cylinder is doing on a fully warmed up engine by targeting near each exhaust port. Is that right? Only seen that done one time, but seems a good diagnostic approach.

I'd say regular lazer gun would do good for vehicles. IR Is nice for trouble shooting panels to see what's drawing heat in circuit boards, like lose connections etc.

Hey if you get one check out moon light vs shade, I seen it on YouTube where moonlight is way colder then things in moon shade. 

• Staff

I have an Alltrade infrared thermometer with laser for pinpoint readings but they don't have them any more..  Bought it at Costco for around $80 about 18 years ago and it still works.  I looked on Amazon for them and after six pages of infrared thermometers my eyes were shot.

@Russ Roth has a good idea to get it at Harbor Freight.  They have these three for sale 

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=laser infrared thermometer

You can print out a 20% off coupon for additional savings  

https://shop.harborfreight.com/online_coupon.html?ccdenc=OTY0MTgyNDQ=&sdt=MjAyMC0wMS0xNw==&edt=MjAyMC0wMS0yMA==

• Like 1

• Staff

I'll get back in the morn you guys my goose is cooked from todays pressure washing. I see dripley [s cooked too that's what you get when you 68 yr old building Construction supervisor cause they keep offering plenty more money and you never quit.. I think he's lost all his feathers and you can see everything :duh:.

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, dripley said:

I have to say 2021 cant get here fast enough for me. I started traveling for a living almost 40 years ago. It is time to go home. Not sure they could offer enough for me stay. And then I hope nothing happens that will require me to stay. We will see what the future holds.

As much traveling as you do the instant you retire, call your insurance agent and tell him you are now traveling about 3,000 miles a year.  get some of that money back you paid him

44 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

As much traveling as you do the instant you retire, call your insurance agent and tell him you are now traveling about 3,000 miles a year.  get some of that money back you paid him

Thats coming. We are already starting to cut back on things not needed. Almost completely out of debt. House is paid for. But you never know what the future might hold.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 3

• Staff

It seems impossible to do that all over again the way prices for trucks and homes are today. wears me out just thinking about it. 

As for the tool I'm looking into a Snap On catalogue. I like their stuff, but I don't want to give them my truck for it. 

Edited by JAG1

52 minutes ago, dripley said:

But you never know what the future might hold.

And when you got to replace a washing machine or dishwasher or refrigerator that money is gone. Pretty hard to make that money back.

Auto expenses get cut dramatically, our food bill actually went down.  Pulling the camping spots Sunday afternoon after all the working folks we have to go back home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

It seems impossible to do that all over again the way prices for trucks and homes are today. wears me out just thinking about it. 

As for the tool I'm looking into a Snap On catalogue. I like their stuff, but I don't want to give them my truck for it. 

I have a Ryobi. The battety died. One I day l will replace it.

51 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

And when you got to replace a washing machine or dishwasher or refrigerator that money is gone. Pretty hard to make that money back.

Auto expenses get cut dramatically, our food bill actually went down.  Pulling the camping spots Sunday afternoon after all the working folks we have to go back home.

Washer is 18 to 20 years. Dryer is 20+. Fixed them both a couple times but they just keep on doing there thing. Fridge is about 5 and the dishwasher is probably 8. Sticking money back for those right now.

Between SS and my 401k I will be taking home what a bit more than I took home working with very little in taxes to pay. Or so the theory goes.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

• Staff
58 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I'm looking into a Snap On catalogue.

And when you were an adolescence you were looking at the Sears cataloged.

886244537_il_340x270.640884996_fpr91.jpg.78ca9aaf19b7265cfb0d035d84364655.jpg  

Snap-On tool are great for the professional but overkill for the weekend DIY guy.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

And when you were an adolescence you were looking at the Sears cataloged.

886244537_il_340x270.640884996_fpr91.jpg.78ca9aaf19b7265cfb0d035d84364655.jpg  

Snap-On tool are great for the professional but overkill for the weekend DIY guy.

Man we have come a long way thru the years.

I think we have drug @JAG1's thread off topic. Sure is fun.

Edited by dripley

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Between SS and my 401k I will be taking home what a bit more than I took home working with very little in taxes to pay. Or so the theory goes.

It would help retirees if the government would stop their war on savers.