• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re for 2001 4wd

I'm looking to buy a core 47re for a 01 4wd. Will be built with a triple clutch converter, billet input and intermediate shafts and aftermarket valve body. What year transmissions will work for this? @Dynamic can you provide any info? I'll most likely be buying a valve body from you and using whatever converter you recommend. This is a long term build with parts bought as i can afford them. 

2 hours ago, Gregturley said:

I'm looking to buy a core 47re for a 01 4wd. Will be built with a triple clutch converter, billet input and intermediate shafts and aftermarket valve body. What year transmissions will work for this? @Dynamic can you provide any info? I'll most likely be buying a valve body from you and using whatever converter you recommend. This is a long term build with parts bought as i can afford them. 

You might want a 48re instead.  48re is 2003.5-2007.5.  They are very similar transmissions and are pretty much interchangeable...except for maybe the electronic kick downs.  But there are certain upgrades in a 48re that make it a stronger platform...like 2 more OD clutches, more clutch teeth, 2 more planetary sun gears, 2 more seals and planetary made of steel instead of aluminum in the 47re...and a few other minor upgrades.  I would imagine that upgrade parts would be similarly priced.  The 48re might even be easier to find.  Just a thought... 

Edited by Bullet

Late '99-'02 47's are interchangeable. As long as it has the plastic transducer. You can convert the early metal style transducers over to the later plastic one fairly easily if need be. Just avoid the older 12 valves as their cases are likely to be missing a mounting boss you'll need for the shift linkage.

A 48RE will have the wrong style neutral safety switch, and no real easy way to adapt the one you need. 48RE cores are quite expensive as well. 47RE cores are dime-a-dozen.

• Thanks 2

If you're referring to the intermediate band lever, then I would recommend the TCS 4.2 lever at that power level. You'll also want a billet input shaft at that power level.

Stall speed will depend upon your specific setup, but either DPC or Goerend for the converter would be my recommendation.

9 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

Intermediate band lever yes. Going with billet input and intermediate shafts. I'll start buying parts when i can afford them.

If you find that pile of dime a dozen 47re cores...let me know where it's at cuz I will pick one up too. 

22 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

Around here i guess a dime is equal to about $400. But I'll have a core valve body and converter to use when I need them and i have time to shop around.

Damn...the exchange rate where you are is horrendous!  Around here a dime is worth about 10 cents...practically worthless.  I'm bringing my piggybank up to where you live and cashing in!  Then I'm gonna retire... :spend:

...and they said I didn't have a retirement plan...pffft.

5 hours ago, Gregturley said:

People around here think anything Cummins is gold. Thats why I'm starting to shop around now so i have time to find a deal. I refuse to overpay for a core that I'm going to replace half the internals of.

Some Cummins stuff is more valuable than others. A 47RE is not among the "more valuable".

33 minutes ago, Dynamic said:

Some Cummins stuff is more valuable than others. A 47RE is not among the "more valuable".

I understand this. Unfortunately the people around here that are selling do not. I see idiots posting used stock converters for 2-300. 

If 47re's are that cheap.... $ 150 ish then how come most rebuilders charge up to $1500 for a core, a pile of $ on parts I get but close to 25% on top for a150 core is an ouch. Problem for me is 47re for diesel never comes up for sale here, core or useable

7 hours ago, wil440 said:

If 47re's are that cheap.... $ 150 ish then how come most rebuilders charge up to $1500 for a core, a pile of $ on parts I get but close to 25% on top for a150 core is an ouch. Problem for me is 47re for diesel never comes up for sale here, core or useable

It's because we want our core back! Believe me, we don't want your money, we want a serviceable core back to build for the next guy. Dealing with cores is one of the worst parts of this business. I'm not selling you the core, I want it back. It's a deposit that's on the steep side so you don't sit on it. Most guys are pretty motivated to get their $1200-1500 back. I have a list of orders that require the timely return of that core so I can get it built for the next guy.

And I'm not sure why everyone is so spun up about what I'm paying for 47RE cores. It's not like I'm calling up the local wrecking yard or shopping for them on Craigslist. As a shop owner that specializes in diesel transmissions, I get at least one or two guys a month that call me up, or stop by wanting to know if I want to buy this core or that. If I'm in need of one, I'll pay up to $150 for a 47RE with a converter. Most guys take it, but some don't. Doesn't matter to me. I have a ton of 47RE cores, so that's all they're worth to me. On the flip side, I'll pay $400-500 for a good late-model 48RE core with converter, and sometimes even more for a good 68RFE, late 5R110, late Allison, or 6R140.

@Dynamic I've been a mechanic for 30 years. I understand why core prices are what they are. I have bought parts that cost less than the core charge. I think it's great when someone like you can get the cores that you need for a reasonable price. It helps keep your business moving. I am not complaining about what you pay for cores but I am jealous. If i can find one for $200 or so I'll jump on it. If not I'll wait. Around here demand seems to be greater than supply so prices reflect that.