• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brake switch

Got a brake switch in yesterday to replace the OEM unit. The brake lights were stuck on, one night and killed my batteries. Before I read the instructions, I looked at the switch. I rotated the lever on the outside not thinking anything of it. Then I read the instructions...

Supposedly by doing that before installing the switch it's no good. But I took it apart afterwards and don't understand why? Anyone know what's up? It just looks like an adjustable plunger. The internals are not complicated or sensitive. What gives.

I installed the one I screwed up, last night. Dunno if it was because of me or not but the lights seemed to come on a bit late after applying the pedal. 

Bought another one today at O'Reilly's and did it the correct way. Seem to be like it should and come on sooner. 

What does the switch control? Instructions talk of ABS, etc. Wondering if it will affect anything else except the lights?

There's 3 contacts inside the switch and close a circuit depending on plunger depth. 6 terminals. There's gotta be more to them than just the brake lights.

I wonder then... yesterday I drove to work on the brake switch I screwed up. We did have icy roads, but I couldn't accept the idea that the truck couldn't handle it like it did. I wouldn't even be on the accelerator and the truck just wanted to go sideways on me. Like I got on the brakes or accelerated hard and the rear end almost sent me right into the creek. It happened several times until I got into the highway where it was pavement.

I was thinking maybe the ABS was being affected by it. But I don't remember how the system works. Im just rear wheel ABS

Several years ago I had the same symptoms (brake lights staying on).  I had read about the fact that you had only one chance at getting it right when installing a new one.  So I took my old one apart and added a washer or two (can't remember) and re-installed it.  It is the original brake light switch and is still working fine today. 

Sometimes technology seems to go backwards - why such complexity in a brake light switch?

- John

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

Several years ago I had the same symptoms (brake lights staying on).  I had read about the fact that you had only one chance at getting it right when installing a new one.  So I took my old one apart and added a washer or two (can't remember) and re-installed it.  It is the original brake light switch and is still working fine today. 

Sometimes technology seems to go backwards - why such complexity in a brake light switch?

- John

The oreilly guy was saying the same thing. Said should have kept the old pressure switches or whatever they were.