• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Headlights for Big Blue

Well, I put my big-boy pants on and took some Dayquil and pulled the truck into the garage today to put the headlights in.  I just couldn't laydown and relax knowing that those lights were waiting for me to put in.  

It went ok.  I had some trouble getting the first headlight out.  I got the 3 screws out around the housing but it still wouldn't come out.  It felt like there was another bolt or something up behind the turn signal and when I looked at the new housings it looked like there was a bolt there.  Well after messing with it for a while and some creative name calling :mad:  I just grabbed it and pulled and low and behold it just pulls out.  There is some kind of clip that the bolt looking thing pushes into...

After figuring that out the install and the other side R and R went pretty smooth.  I also bought some of the flashback leds for the turn signals too.  After getting it all installed and plugged in I turned on the lights.  2 problems, first the high and low beams are backwards and second the one flashback wasn't working.  So I pulled out the drivers side light to switch around the turn signal and WOW, it was all I could do to pull that little bolt thing back out of that clip.  After pulling and pulling and wiggling and cussing I finally got it.  Swap the bulb and all is good.  Now I just need to figure out the high/low issue and get all the wires and ballasts secured.  I just snapped a couple of pics while it was sitting outside.  I can't wait to see how they look while driving...

Oh, one other issue, I needed to get a new flasher since I was getting hyper-flash now.

Low beam

canvas.png.541d8c75b0f858c7fe68f817bdc9876d.png

high beams354229983_canvas(2).png.3ce75bc0f7a0ba0d4102abbf737ea744.png

Low beam

391804642_canvas(1).png.783cf0afe15c1ab16049713b094f3136.png

303212170_canvas(3).png.c4c5188924d4136c349e6b4b533e2a7b.png

Now,  time for a hot shower and some Fireball and back to bed... 

Edited by hdpwipmonkey
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

first the high and low beams are backwards

Pins in the plug may be backwards, the single plug you put in factory bulb socket. 

22 minutes ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

Oh, one other issue, I needed to get a new flasher since I was getting hyper-flash now.

You need an electronic flasher for led lights, any part store should have them.

13 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Pins in the plug may be backwards, the single plug you put in factory bulb socket. 

Thanks, I've been researching while laying in bed and that seems to be the general consensus.  I will swap them when feeling better.  I have 3 more days off.

14 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

You need an electronic flasher for led lights, any part store should have them.

Got one from AZ.  Looked up the part number and sent the wife to go pick it up.  All works good now.

Next up is new headlights for my wife's JK.  Thinking of going with these in the stock housing.  The pattern mimics the stock pattern, just brighter.  Look pretty good.

I’m curious as to the reasoning for the flashback leds. In the past it has been an advantage to have the amber park lamps when snowing heavily or foggy and very poor visibility I’ve turned off headlights and had better visibility with just amber park lamps. Anyone else have this experience. 

• Owner

Switch back bulbs give off more light than a amber bulb. Like mine cast light for almost 200 feet very bright. Very attention grabbing with the white markers then when your turn signal used its even wicked bright amber flashing bulb. Gives that modern look of the halo driving light or as some are call it daytime driving lights. During daylight hours I typically just run my marker lights.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I was able to get the plug re-pinned and now my high/low is correct. :thumbup2:

Just got back from a drive and the new lights are AMAZING!  Nice cut-off line and it looks to be aligned correctly and since I don't see a way to adjust them, I hope they are correct.

Here's some pics.

Low beams.  Nice and wide.  No critters are sneaking up on me now...

MVIMG_20200131_184120.jpg.a3a6c0eee63003d826b0615eb214aa00.jpg

High beam (aka Insta-daylight)

MVIMG_20200131_184118.jpg.146d11e6e5c3c17c9bf79b2183c39031.jpg

Low beam

MVIMG_20200131_185020.jpg.f0f1cc1f03c1cf6da80c6c70f3b61947.jpg

High beam

IMG_20200131_185026.jpg.2b603a646bc177cfd9b723e8e4c0cd3e.jpg

If you are on the fence about these lights, I highly suggest them.  They are on the expensive side but so far, they are worth every penny.  Just my :2cents:

Hey @Mopar1973Man did you get your ballasts and other things for these tidied up?  I just have them zip-tied for now till I can find a good permanent home for them.

Now I need some new fog lights.:spend:  I turned them on while driving and you couldn't even see them with these.

• Like 4

• Owner
10 hours ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

Hey @Mopar1973Man did you get your ballasts and other things for these tidied up?

Mine are still zipzied to the fender as of yet... 

Now I need some new fog lights.:spend:

PIAA 530 LED driving lights (not fog pattern).  Super bright. They are brighter than the Morimoto's.

Nice cut-off line and it looks to be aligned correctly and since I don't see a way to adjust them, I hope they are correct.

Look up from the bottom there is a star wheel you can slide a #2 philips screw driver into from the bumper gap. Only up and down of the beam. No left to right adjustment.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Look up from the bottom there is a star wheel you can slide a #2 philips screw driver into from the bumper gap. Only up and down of the beam. No left to right adjustment.

Thanks, I'll take a look. :thumbup2:

1 hour ago, Evan said:

What's not adjustable?

I didn't see an adjustment for the lights but @Mopar1973Man filled me in. 

1 hour ago, Evan said:

My taxes are due back any day. I may just do this..

Been putting lots of miles on in the dark

If you can swing the extra money for them then I highly suggest getting them.  You won't be disappointed. 

• Like 1

As usual, I should've listened to Mopar1973Man and Me78569 from the beginning.  So, today I reinstalled the old halogens and tomorrow plan to start installation of my D2S projectors.
$142 for new ANZO housings

$160 for the Morimoto 9007/9004 kit to put HIDs in housings that aren't designed for them (included brain boxes, ignitors, etc.)

$227 for the Morimoto D2S projectors, bulbs, some overpriced glue, and the trim ring gizmos

So, $529 and I still have to do the work!  I suggest just buying the right thing like Mike and hdpwipmonkey did.

• Like 1

There are definitely times to not listen it surprisingly seems lights we agree on.

I saw a 2nd gen in my town with projectors kinda wondering if were behind the times hidden in a dark corner. Maybe everyone has them and I'll start noticing them now.

What are you doing with your other lights

1 hour ago, Evan said:

What are you doing with your other lights

I'm not yet sure. One of my stock type housings has a crack at the bottom, though hasn't let in any water. The only parts of the HID system that is "leftover" is the two bulbs. Probably just set them on the shelf or ship them to the guy from another thread that's got a leaking set but needs to save up to buy new ones.