• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Coolant temp

12 hours ago, kzimmer said:

Is there a documented experiment to support this? Just curious. I like learning facts like this, but only if they're substantiated.

I had one of Mikes or Ryan’s high idle boxes about 10 years ago and for some reason the truck ran 160* with it hooked up. I drove around for a month at 160* and getting 13.5. Finally figured out it was the high idle box And when I removed it, Temps went back up to 190* and mpg jumped back up to 16.5

14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like myself I running a 190*F thermostat. Typically with winter temperatures I run about 160*F to 170*F in oil temperature. 

It blows my mind that your oil temp could be colder than coolant temp. I'm not sure that's possible.

2 hours ago, 98whitelightnin said:

I had one of Mikes or Ryan’s high idle boxes about 10 years ago and for some reason the truck ran 160* with it hooked up. I drove around for a month at 160* and getting 13.5. Finally figured out it was the high idle box And when I removed it, Temps went back up to 190* and mpg jumped back up to 16.5

Perhaps the high idle box was fooling coolant temp, and you weren't actually at 160, just displaying 160.

• Owner
8 hours ago, kzimmer said:

It blows my mind that your oil temp could be colder than coolant temp. I'm not sure that's possible.

Efficiency... Less heat lost the more power to the ground. All about the Quadzilla timing. 

14 hours ago, AH64ID said:

didn't realize you put a oil temp gauge in. Where did you put the sender? You run a lot colder oil than I did in the 05.

Oil cooler port on the oil filter housing. Extra temp sender comes with the Quad which is labeled Trans Temp but I know it Engine oil temp. I'm running about 20* at 2k RPMs. 

• Owner

It does. I can crank up the timing to make it hotter but... MPG drops out badly.. 15 to 17 MPG. Outside temps in the 10 to 20*F up here. Thermostat is closed and holding barely 192 to 195*F. The lower coolant hose is COLD to the touch. 

More timing the hotter the oil temp. More retard the cooler the oil tremp. This photo was a older tune my recent tune is right at 20* at 2k RPM. Remember Trans is the engine oil.

Capture+_2019-12-31-13-10-08.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
14 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

250 miles daily trips. This is my standard from New Meadows to Ontario, OR runs and back home. Photo is dated 12/31/2019 (Tuesday)

then I would say your temperature sender is reading more of the temperature of the filter head housing and not the oil. After about 30 miles the oil temperature should match coolant and up from there is based on efficiency

• Owner

Sorry. I don't know what to say. I've check it many times and it correct. Remember 24V are NOT CR engines. Might hold true for your old truck... Umm the oil is flowing through that port. That is true oil temp from the oil cooler. If not my turbo would sure hate life if the oil isn't moving.20200131_053155.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

What I said holds true regardless. If the temp sender is reading the temp of the entire unit and not the tip of the sensor it will read low. That looks like what is happening for you. 

The oil actually gets hotter on these engines with the piston and head heat and then the coolant brings it back down. The oil is exposed to more heat and has less cooling. 

It’s not 24V vs CR, it’s general engine operations. Oil temps operate at or above coolant temps without external oil coolers. 

• Like 1

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

We can change sensor but it not going to change the temp. I can measure the temp with my IR gun and still be the same. I cant make it hotter being the oil temp is still the oil temp.

You just proved my theory. If the IR gun reads the same temp your reading oil filter housing temp and not actual oil temp. That’s why it’s cold. 

The filter head will always be colder than actual oil temp. 

It should still give you a good relative indication, it’s just not actual oil temperature. It’s probably about 30° low. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Owner

Still doubt that being the sensor is INSIDE the oil. The sensor the probe tip is nearly 3/4 long inside the oil. The oil is MOVING past the sensor and oil filter into the turbo. 

Now I could see you point like in transmission application where people put the sensor in the accumulator piston and the fluid is not flowing. This is in a flowing oil galley and the main oil feed to the turbo. 

So I still doubt your comments being the fluid is moving into and out of the oil filter. 

I typically see the same temps John did with his 05 in my 14. I have seen temps as high as 245 pulling a very long grade with 16k in tow. 

I'd be interested to see what my 2nd gen does, but don't have a sensor to install.